First one of these, and this one too! From Okinawa!

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Well, my wife went TDY(temp duty) to Guam for 4 weeks starting in January. Sooo I thought I would get a chance to detect a TON! I am a stay at home dad, so I figured I would just use a bit of daycare, and detect for about 10hrs a week! Except the weather didn't cooperate at all. It has been rainy and cold(50degrees) for the last two weeks of my wifes "vacation". But I got out for about 20 minutes last week before the rain came back, and found this:
1941Canadacent.jpg
Now, this is my first Canadian coin. And my oldest coin to date. (I actually started MD'ing in December) I was very surprised to find that it was a 1941! And in pretty good shape. Way better shape than the memorials I have been finding. Not bad for the only target dug in probably the only 20 minutes it wasn't raining!

Well, the wife came back(thankfully) and it was still rainy. Except for today. So I put my oldest on the bus, and the youngest in some play time at the base Child Care, and away I went.

I started at a site right off the main road on Kadena AFB that used to have 3 apartment style temp housing, but were torn down years ago. I was hunting the strip between the parking lot and the sidewalk. This is a favorite spot of mine as people seem to lose stuff as they fumble for keys, and was hoping to score some silver. Well, I didn't. But, I did find a pocket spill with a dime and a memorial in it. Oddly enough both coins were from 1966. I figure they were lost close to that time. About 5 feet away I found another dime 1968. I think I have the right spot to get some silver, and it doesn't seem to have been hunted before. I spent about an hour and a half at this spot, and came away with .47 in U.S. and 110yen. Also a token from the Armed Services Exchange. Which I hadn't seen before, but it was too dark to scan or photo well enough to post for ya.

I was gettin' a bit hungry, so I decided to change locations, and grab a bite on the way. I went to a park on base that I had hunted several times before, figuring I would pull the clad from the sand, and check the grass out, which I hadn't really covered all of yet. As I am scanning around I get the usual stuff, a couple dimes, 2 zipper pulls, pull tabs, etc. I get a dime reading, and scoop the sand and out comes this:
1921 Italian 20 centesimi obverse.jpg
1921 Italian 20 centesimi reverse.jpg

It is a 1921 20 Centesimi from Italy!
I had never seen one before, and at first I thought it was silver! I was so stoked. Then I looked at the date: 1921! No way! Gotta be silver! It was so shiny and in awesome shape for the soil here. Nickles in this sand don't make it more than a week without becoming totally nasty, and this coin had a nice patina on it, and I really like the design on the reverse! The high point(right breast) was a bit worn, but otherwise the detail on the lady is fantastic! I figure some kid dropped this no more than a couple days ago! There has GOT to be more! Nope, lol. I was a bit disappointed when I saw that it was composed of nickel. But that faded when I saw same date, similar condition coin on ebay selling for 40bucks. And also when I looked at the reverse again! :D

So still no silver coins for me yet, but I am still diggin. I have sooo many sites on this base alone that it is hard to choose which one to go to. It also makes it hard to clear out all the junk too! I plan on getting a BHID for the tourist beaches here too, so I will have even more spots to hunt. Good thing we just signed up for another 2 years!

Hope you enjoyed my winded story, I sure enjoyed reliving it!
HH
vegasmtl

Upvote 0

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Awesome hunt. I really like that last coin.
HH,
Tennessee Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread