My 16 year old daughters first trip detecting

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
I finally got my daughter to go detectin with me. I had to plan this a week in advance. When daughters turn 16 it seems they are very busy. I simply told her if she wanted to drive to her friends house this evening and hang out, she had to hang out with the old man today. It worked but as you can see in the first pic she looks very enthusiastic. ;) I had to make her smile by doing the chicken dance in the second one. The building is the old school I recently got permission to detect. We started out there and it became apparent that is was to difficult of a place for a beginner with all of the nails and thousands of signals. So after about 45 minutes she was getting burned out, not finding anything. So I took her to a mexican restaraunt for lunch and then on to a park where I knew she could find a bunch of clad. All and all a wonderful day, a pile of clad, an old earring, a button, 2 wheats and a big smile on old dads face. ;D

Attachments

• DSCN1248.JPG
    DSCN1248.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 878
  • DSCN1249.JPG
    DSCN1249.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 891
  • DSCN1246.JPG
    DSCN1246.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 892
  • DSCN1252.JPG
    DSCN1252.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some great pics and I am so glad you got to spend the time with your daughter ---even if you had to bribe her

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great pic of your daughter! Looks like my son when I "drag" him along. He mostly sits in the car playing his PS2! Oh well......not everyone enjoys our hobby as well as we do. I love that old school.....looks very creepy! You haven't found anything good there yet?

HH,
Moon

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Anytime you can go out and have fun with your daughter.....that's a GREAT day. But, to get her to go MDng with ya...........that's a SPECTACULAR day! Great idea, great time!
--Mel

borninok

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like an old building for sure , I'm surprise you all didn't pull any silver clad right away. I love old sites like that , I hope your planning to go back. Good luck on your next trip back there .. guzz1

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Ken from Atlanta said:
Looks like a good day, nice having the no trespassing in the 2cd pic too!
Yep it took me 2 years to get permission here. Maybe the no trespassing sign will help me keep this sight all to myself. ;D
borninok said:
Anytime you can go out and have fun with your daughter.....that's a GREAT day. But, to get her to go MDng with ya...........that's a SPECTACULAR day! Great idea, great time!
--Mel

borninok
I wouldn't take anything for today. She actually caught on pretty fast and seemed to enjoy herself once she started finding coins.
Moonshadow said:
Great pic of your daughter! Looks like my son when I "drag" him along. He mostly sits in the car playing his PS2! Oh well......not everyone enjoys our hobby as well as we do. I love that old school.....looks very creepy! You haven't found anything good there yet?

HH,
Moon
Yep I've found 7 wheats and one barber dime. My brother found a mid 1800's police button. It is very slow going at this site and I've only had a few hours combined to detect it.
txkickergirl said:
those are some great pics and I am so glad you got to spend the time with your daughter ---even if you had to bribe her
If bribery is what it takes to get some time with her I'll stoop. How did your dad and brothers get you bribed into going with them at first ?
guzz1 said:
Looks like an old building for sure , I'm surprise you all didn't pull any silver clad right away. I love old sites like that , I hope your planning to go back. Good luck on your next trip back there .. guzz1
This is one of the most difficult sites I have hunted. It is literally strewn with old Iron and bit of coal are all over the ground. Every detector I own goes nuts there. I just have to pick a small area and go at a snails pace to find anything.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Nice post John,

I sure know the LOOK in the first picture!

But I ask our kids every single time I go out... in advance...

Great that your daughter went out with you!
rmptr

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
But DADDDDDDDDDDD I dont wanna dig in da dirt I'll get DURTYYYYYYY

Bet if she dug a diamond ring she'd be happier !!!

Cool finds ! ;)

D.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. I have a 16 year old too. At least you got your daughter to go. ;D
That looks like a great MD spot too.
Thanks for the post,
MM

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
glad you got her to go with you. I take my daughter with me when i go out and she has a blast. i need to get he a new detector as hers seemed to go on the fritz today.

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs...Did she enjoy hunting with you? Anyhow, at least you got to hang with her. There's definately Silver hiding under all those nails...but worth the work for sure...HH

OP
OP
john37115

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
rmptr said:
Nice post John,

I sure know the LOOK in the first picture!

But I ask our kids every single time I go out... in advance...

Great that your daughter went out with you!
rmptr
Yep she said dad do we have to take a picture, I look like a geek with the kneepad the fanny pack, lesche and cibola with headphones. I replied you look like a PROFESSIONAL she didn't find me too humurous. By the end of the day she was actually enjoying herself though.

Derek752 said:
But DADDDDDDDDDDD I dont wanna dig in da dirt I'll get DURTYYYYYYY

Bet if she dug a diamond ring she'd be happier !!!

Cool finds ! ;)

D.

Yep I had to give her my gloves she forgot to bring the ones I got for her. She did manage to talk her mom out of the diamond cluster ring I found a couple weeks ago though. How she done that I never know.

ModernMiner said:
I know what you mean. I have a 16 year old too. At least you got your daughter to go. ;D
That looks like a great MD spot too.
Thanks for the post,
MM

I remember that age thinking Oh someone might see me out here diggin for change.
I have high hopes for this sight but it is a tough one. I've never seen anything like this ground. You start thinking your
detectors are demonically possessed or something. LOL

buffhunter said:
glad you got her to go with you. I take my daughter with me when i go out and she has a blast. i need to get he a new detector as hers seemed to go on the fritz today.

Whats your secret? How do you get them hooked at that age? Try a tesoro they are the ticket being so light and simple to use, not to mention the lifetime warranty.

wyattrr said:
Nice Digs...Did she enjoy hunting with you? Anyhow, at least you got to hang with her. There's definately Silver hiding under all those nails...but worth the work for sure...HH

Thanks, I believe she had a good time by days end, or she's just charming the old man in to thinking so.
I have found one barber dime there and I'm sure theres more just gonna take time and patience.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Bribery aside I think it's great that you got her to go huntin with you! I hav a 7 year old son who loves to go with me but what usually happens is he finds a playground and that is that.

I know that he wants to hunt so I'm going to pick him up a Silver uMax, I think that will help modivate him, and it will give me a nice back up!

HH

PTP

M

MiniMe

That first picture brings back memories..... :DLOL I think it's the standard "Gee, I'm so happy", look. Love it. Glad you got to spend some time together.

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
That first picture of her overbounding joy is priceless! Im glad you got her to smile in the second one. She is a beautiful young lady.

~~Minnie

P

Pentico

You got to love the time with the kids.
They grow up so fast and are gone.
One of our daughters loves to go with us on a hunt, but she is off to college right now. :-\
Heck I need her to help dig as the ground is frozen and she is much younger and can dig that hard stuff! lol
Enjoy the time, it passes so fast.
BTW cool finds.
Chris & LeeAnn

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I sure recognize that joyful look in the first photo! My daughter is now almost 19 so I have seen that look a time or a thousand....the one with the smile is the one you treasure forever though! ;) Glad you got a chance to get out together and do something!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Time enjoyed with your daughter....

What a rare treasure these days.
I envy you John, I get so little time with mine anymore.

They grow up and move on to serious dedicated lives of their own.
Hold them close while you can, no matter how hard they pull away.
The moments they will share with youare fleeting and brief.

But the memories you both have are the real treasure.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread