Son Of a Cow Dog, would you look at this crap.

K

KirkTN

Brother John Whooped me again. He found 5 eagle buttons today and I found this crap  :-[ well, not all of it's crap. What you're about to see are my humble share of todays finds.
I like the flat button, don't know what era it is, do you? The other button/rivet has 4 W's with what looks like the top of a capitol bldg. between each W. Era? Don't know what the ornate piece with the rose is either. and how about the stirrup. What era do you think it is. Oh yea I have been wanting to find a harmonica reed in one piece, found two instead in the same hole.

Attachments

• relids40%.jpg
    relids40%.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,389
  • buttons55%.jpg
    buttons55%.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 2,380
  • ornate piece25%.jpg
    ornate piece25%.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2,376
  • stirrup30%.jpg
    stirrup30%.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,339
Upvote 0

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
After looking at these pics I think i found a reed last year. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 11-3-07Reed.JPG
    11-3-07Reed.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 862

Iunno

Dec 26, 2007
I found a harmonica reed and a lipstick tube on an old railroad that they were tearing up. I had no idea what they were till i visited this site. Are reeds rare?

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

Fisher said:
After looking at these pics I think i found a reed last year. What do you all think?

That'd Be One for sure.
Cinder2007 said:
I found a harmonica reed and a lipstick tube on an old railroad that they were tearing up. I had no idea what they were till i visited this site. Are reeds rare?

Semi rare I'd say, It's just that they come from another time when harmonicas were more popular. Some back to the civil war era If I'm not mistaken. To me they conjure up the image of maybe a soldier, or a cowboy playing campfire songs.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There were many types and sizes of reeds and reed boards, or reed plates. The reed itself in the little piece that vibrated.

The reed boards you are showing are as common as heck - harmonica's were the radios of the day. Everyone had one...

There are also single reed pieces that were part of squeeze boxes, and other reed pieces that went in organs and such. Very common finds... from farmhouses to battlefields. I have a bunch but LOVE picking them up.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice batch of finds! You could do a lot worse, my friend. Those reeds are always fun to find.

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No crap here. All I see is crappe' and junque! Monty

ivan salis