Yesterdays Civil War Finds - Cannon Ball

L

lovedigging

Got out for a little while yesterday with my brother (dcooper1) and hunted his camp site. I ended up with a few smaller items as it was getting dark. Right at dark, we met up to part ways for the evening. As I headed back to my truck, I was just barely swingin' my machine as I was walking real fast. I hit a great signal, even though it was DARK by then, I couldn't resist digging it. At about 3 inches I hit the top of this thing and knew right away what it was.

The cannon ball is 11.5 pounds and 4.5" across. Anyone have any more info on cannon balls ???

Also found a New York button (this is about the tenth on from this site), a bullet, one "carved" lead, one melted lead, a sling swivel, and a pistol barrel.

Thanks to my brother for taking me to his great spot!!!

Attachments

• img_0114a.JPG
    img_0114a.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 869
  • img_0112a.JPG
    img_0112a.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,029
  • img_0111a.JPG
    img_0111a.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,201
  • img_0115a.JPG
    img_0115a.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 912
Upvote 0

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Great finds Brother!!!
Glad we got to hunt again. I thought the rules were if you hunted someone elses site that they got to pick one item from your finds to keep!!! ;D

I think I would like the cannon ball ;D ;D ;D

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great finds wow, that cannon ball is something else WTG tcooper1 Any ID on the New York button? maybe a good pic? thanks!
Glenn

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome finds, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All's I can say is Awesome.....I know the feeling,I'm Smiling for Ya!!!You two have a sweet spot.Nice recovery....Congrat's and HH!!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I love seeing that stuff coming out of the ground!!!!

You guys have a nice spot there, keep up the good work and keep posting those finds so us poor saps in the snow won't go completely crazy!! ;D ;)

Welcome to TNET!!!

HH

PTP

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find TC!!!! :o :o :o
That's a find of a lifetime. Congrats to you.
-MM-

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Love the cannon ball!! Welcome to the Tnet as well!! ;D

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
Very nice find. Being from NY, any info or better picture of the NY button would be great! Thanks

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Cool....would hate to get hit by that.
Kaboom!!!!!!!

frankly... I really don't know how a cannon ball works.I guess it hits wood or something and splinters out.Or are they filled with gun power?
RD ???

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Rob66 said:
Cool....would hate to get hit by that.
Kaboom!!!!!!!

frankly... I really don't know how a cannon ball works.I guess it hits wood or something and splinters out.Or are they filled with gun power?
RD ???
Rob,
I have dug tons of Civil War stuff but never any cannon balls or artilery shells so I never had the opportunity to study them. Since his recovery last night I have only found 4 "round" balls listed. All of them say they are 12 pounds (his weighed 11.5) and they all have fuses and/or holes to load "case shot". His appeared to be SOLID, I did not see any holes/openings in it. Maybe after a stiff wire brushing, we would be able to see something.

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
vision quest said:
Very nice find. Being from NY, any info or better picture of the NY button would be great! Thanks

Dont know if he has a close up of his yet. Maybe this will do for now. All of the New York ones were found at the same site.

Attachments

• NY Button.JPG
    NY Button.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 890
  • P1010114a.JPG
    P1010114a.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 723
  • NY Button.JPG
    NY Button.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 913

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Cannonball. Thats definitely a keeper ;D ;D You should thank your brother ALOT because that was a HECK of a day that he let you in on ! That is BROTHERLY LOVE ;) ;) ;) ;) Beautiful solid shot!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing the goodies with us. Very nice finds indeed!!!!!!!!!!

DANGLANGLEY

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
{Sentinel} said:
Nice Cannonball. Thats definitely a keeper ;D ;D You should thank your brother ALOT because that was a HECK of a day that he let you in on ! That is BROTHERLY LOVE ;) ;) ;) ;) Beautiful solid shot!

You're right. It's too bad everyone doesn't share. Too many people are too greedy to the point where the stuff stays in the ground forever or gets bulldozed/paved over.
I have learned a couple of lessons while metal detecting and hunting wildlife: I have spent way too much time/money/effort on both of the hobbies and tried to be nice to people by including them. Of course they want to go and do with you, but when the time comes where you would expect some return effort on their part, they NEVER come through, never want to help do the work, pay for the THOUSANDS of dollars of investment, pay for gas, or the best yet - my phone never rings with an invite to "their place".
Anyway, its a good thing for family. My brother has taken me to his places, and I will take him to mine. We can cover much more ground to find the "hotspots" and when we do, we can recover twice as many items in half as much time. It also helps to have someone else with another machine/settings/experience check over the area again. I too can go behind myself and find more stuff....do it all the time. He has only been hunting for a short time but between the two of us, we will probably soon have enough stuff to open our own "mini" museum ;D ;D ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread