STUFF FROM THE CRAWL SPACE

Stu Pedasso

Jun 27, 2007
The folks wanted to hook up Internet and needed a phone line installed. I volunteered to crawl around in the crawl space and string the cable. I am not a stranger to this area, as I had to fix a water leak for them last year. Their house is 160 years old and there is not much room between the floor joist and the bare ground. I was laying there waiting for someone to toss me some tape when I noticed a pocket knife laying there. Next thing I see is a crude clothes pin, and then a crystal clear marble. I saw what appeared to be an old wooden thread spool half buried in the dirt. I was surprised to see it had a hole in the center with a small cut nail holding a piece of leather over it. Looks like it would fit into the bung of a barrel. Could it be some kind of pressure relief valve? Any thoughts to what it might be? My kid found the spoon(newer) in the dirt floor of the basement portion of the house. I hit the crawl space and basement with my detector, only finding 2 new pennies and a dime.

Stu

Attachments

• group.JPG
    group.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,247
  • clothespin.JPG
    clothespin.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,252
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,265
  • bottom.JPG
    bottom.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,249
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stu Pedasso

Jun 27, 2007
I forgot to mention I live in Wisconsin. This winter has been relentless and detecting is impossible until the thaw comes. Believe me, this couple little item were very welcome.

Stu

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds, Stu. The clothes pin looks mighty old.

;) RR

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, I have never been so lucky. It does look to be over 125 years anyway.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Love that marble! And the clothes pin is way cool! Glad you got a mini hunt in. Hang in there Spring isn't far off now.

HH,
Pepper

Shoe

Nov 18, 2007
Addison Township, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Your spool and piece of leather might have been a foot valve for a hand pump. A foot valve is a check valve at the bottom of a suction line that prevents backflow, and is necessary for a reciprocating pump.

Newguy

Greenie
Mar 1, 2008
I own a termite company and do inspections of crawl spaces...you find alot of "stuff" under them old houses, bags of old coins, guns, drugs, jewerly horded by rats, bodies, complete 8cyl engines (that was a weird one), tons of old metal toys, 12 dead cats under one house, 50 or so one gallon containers of human urine(thought for sure that really weird guy was gonna kill me and bury me there,lol)...list can go on and on....oh..and zillions of termites.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
check the knife blade for the "maker" mark --- looks like a old case knife --nice

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be nice if you could take your metal detector back with you and visit that place again. I've took mine under houses and old porches with cracks between the boards. It's hard work but worth it. Very nice finds there. Love that old knife and clothes pin. Good work.

DANGLANGLEY

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Hi,I feel your pain,I am in Wisconsin too.Great you had a chance to do a little digging.
That clothes pin is just the coolest.
HH,Jim

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
Awesome finds!!!

I love the knife and clothes pin. I agree, check the knife for the maker. Those old pocket knifes can be worth some serious money.

HH

sparkymaster

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, the clothes pin is cool, I would preserve it before it deteriorates. That pocket knife is in very nice condition, I found a Swiss Army knife this weekend that had been in wet ground, not as nice as yours but I can save it, I think, LOL! The spoon looks to be silver, any hallmarks or stamps on it? HH, Mike

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Intresting stuff there .

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the clothes pin! Thanks for sharing.

Ed

OP
OP
S

Stu Pedasso

Jun 27, 2007
I doesn't look like the knife was down there all that long, as it is not rusty. There have been a few people in there since they bought the place. I am thinking one of the contractors lost it. It says "FROST CUTLERY" on the blade.

Attachments

• frost.JPG
    frost.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 543

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
Cool finds, love the knife even if it is not old. Clothespin is way to cool. It is going to rain here today. But, we are one day closer to spring. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread