Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

After a pretty good day yesterday, I figured I would take the day off and relax..I had no idea where I was going to since I hunted so many places to death multiple times since the year began. I started out with a couple of schools I hadn't been to for a while and found a Sacagawea dollar and a nice metal bookmark by the monkey bars, with a few quarters and dimes here and there. There wasn't much else since the weather over the last few weeks was either too cold or too wet. Even when the days in between were nice, the kids won't use the playgrounds if they're too wet or muddy.

There was this one school (probably developed in the 70's) I hunted some years ago, but I only tried the tot lot and side of the school where some playground equipment was located. This time I decided to try the main field in back.

The grounds behind the school was quite large, but the thick grass I remember during the warmer months way back when was much easier to dig through since the growing season hasn't yet begun.

I began pulling up dimes, then quarters, and before long I found a good sized ring. As I rubbed the mud off some of the gold color began to come off on my fingers >:( You don't often find a real gold ring at an elementary school, so I wasn't really surprised it was costume.

Then the quarters started to come! At one point, it was as if someone had a bucket of change and started throwing it all over the place! I didn't have my pouch so I put all the coins in my right pocket..by the time I was ready to go I could hardly walk straight..I ended up with 2 more rings (one was silver) and 172 coins total for the entire morning (54 quarters, 41 dimes, 9 nickels, 64 pennies, 1 Canadian cent, 1 Sac dollar, one Kennedy half and a 1952 silver Rosie) for a total of $20.30. I found the silver dime at the end when I was ready to leave and was surprised to find it..I thought that was the icing on the cake right there!

WOW4.jpg

The first ring I found is the one on the left..I thought it was real for a moment!

WOW8.jpg

Some of the schoolyard finds were a part of a heavy silver chain, a butterfly bookmark, a dog tag, a flattened penny, some buttons, a pendant and a keychain that flashes on and off and says "SAKURA - BEST FRIEND ROBOT".
WOW3.jpg

WOW5.jpg

The second ring I found (.925 silver) says "TRUE LOVE WAITS". It was on top of the ground and I saw it just as my coil passed over it!

WOW7.jpg

Twenty bucks in change was an incredible amount for one morning!

WOW6.jpg

A little variety adds to the spice of MDing life! These were welcome sights.

WOW1.jpg

The '52 Rosie was a good way to end my day.

I was sure I broke my personal quarter record for a day but I tied it (54). I found 120 of 'em in the last 3 hunts!

Hope you all had a good weekend, mine was so great (even though I can hardly move)! And for you guys/gals still waiting for the big thaw, your time is coming, so hang in there!

Nat

Upvote 0

Iron Maiden

Mar 2, 2008
St. Joseph, Missouri
Detector(s) used
White's 6000/Di PRO sl and Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Dream Day At A Dream School

Sounds like you found a great site to detect. That's alot of quarters to find in one morning. I'm sure that there's alot more waiting to be found. Good luck on your future hunts! :)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You got that right.... a big dream day for sure... thats alotta coins n all for one day..holey moley, is your back sore too?

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate the comments..Iskuli, you're one of the best ring finders anywhere so I'm honored you'd pay me a visit (even if I've only been finding silvers). I'll let you know when I get me a gold one, it's been a while!

Doug and Bryce, about that weather..you should see how the snow's coming down right now..we had a 58 degree temp change since Sunday..it'll warm up again by the weekend I'm told. Weird.

I must be in pretty good shape for a 40-something year-old "old guy" because my back is just fine..my knees and legs ached a bit from walking and bending so much. I must have walked 4 miles or so in just that one hunt.

Thanks a bunch for your support and encouragement, this is the best hobby there is.

Nat

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12

Natman, dude...you're a machine! That is a heck of a haul! nice work!

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi all,

It got to about 50 degrees today, and I couldn't resist going back to clean up the school yard I visited last week..it was fun playing in the mud while I walked probably another 3 miles! It was a good thing there was still snow here and there (I used it to wash the mud off my hands!)

I didn't come up with anything out of the ordinary, and even though I worked hard to find another ring, there was no more to be found. Today's haul was 20 quarters, 28 dimes, 7 nickels and 45 pennies, which added $8.60 to last week's $20.30.

I was excited to learn I had broken 2 personal records for clad at this location - one for the amount of quarters dug at one location (74) and one for the most pocket change found at one location ($29.90).

The last of my "cleanup" is pictured..my totals at the school were 74 quarters, 69 dimes, 16 nickels, 109 pennies, 1 Canadian cent, 1 Sac dollar, 1 Kennedy half and 1 silver Rosevelt dime. The SBA dollar coin was found at a park tot lot I went to on the way back from the school.

COIN.jpg

My clad totals are starting to mount..I was able to make a house payment with last year's amount, and this year I'm saving up for this guitar, which I've been wanting for a while..I would have loved to get the Gibson version, but that one's $3200.00 :o I've played this one before and it sounds as good as it looks, so I've decided to add it to my growing collection of acoustic models. With luck I'll have it by the end of the summer.

GUITAR.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Nat

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nat,
Congrats on the clad count. Those stacks look like the piles on the card tables in Vegas. ;)
Good luck on the guitar. WALK HARD. ;D
-MM-

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If all of the schools are as good as the one you just got done with, you won't have any trouble in getting that guitar. That was really an outstanding haul that you made there. Congrats!

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Natman,
Outstanding clad count. Go get some Ben Gay!!
Joe

swampfox

Feb 19, 2007
orangeburgh,south carolina
Detector(s) used
ace 250 and others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi natman looks like u really had a ausome day. ihavent found that much lately did find some wheats last week but only clad this week but u did really well. hh swampfox

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
swampfox said:
hi natman looks like u really had a ausome day. ihavent found that much lately did find some wheats last week but only clad this week but u did really well. hh swampfox

Keep at it swampfox, I'm telling you some of these schools have insane amounts of coin and those old private yards and parks are a haven for wheats and silver.

Nat

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice Job on the clad count Wow !! thats a lot of Digging ,,, WTG ,,, Nice epi.too. Guzz1

midnightguy

May 20, 2006
Upstate NY
Gotta love the schools. I'm lucky to have a small elementary school just down the road that I hit hard when I have the time. So far it's produced about $35.00 in coin plus a silver pendant... I know some don't consider schools a lot of fun, but I enjoy it so much... Good Job...Keep up the good work.. Midnightguy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pretty nice chunk o change Nat,probably walking like Igor when you left.Congrats on the silver as well.HH!!

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
midnightguy said:
I know some don't consider schools a lot of fun, but I enjoy it so much

I really enjoy them because you never know what you'll come up with..lots of coin for sure, but the amount of stuff kids lose (especially over years of time) boggles the mind..after the first 20 minutes, it was apparent to me that the place had never been hunted before..I was averaging $5 an hour in coins, then every so often you get an occasional surprise, like a ring or other piece of jewelry. When I'm not searching old places for obsolete coins, schools are where I like to hunt.

civilman1 said:
Pretty nice chunk o change Nat, probably walking like Igor when you left

Thanks! I have a "hunch" you're probably correct ;D

Nat

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Sorry if I look green....it's because I am! :D WTG......Hope you find lots more!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Nat---Dont know how I missed this post.
That was a dream day :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Great finds my friend :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread