OK Im Confused.. 1930D Wheat at less than 1 inch??

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive done tons of reading and reading on my mxt and everything is going just fine. But tonight got a little stumped in my front yard because i was getting memorial cents about 3 or 4 inches. But then i got a +78 almost on top. When I picked it out of the plug it was a 1930D. My yard varies greatly with the softnedd and hardness of the ground. Where i found it was real soft dirt. Has me scratching my head, lol.

Attachments

• cents.jpg
    cents.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Congratulations, learn to expect the unexpected.... I see the same thing now and then, gravity defying coins LOL.

F

Floater

Scratch Away Twister. Who knows could of been somebodys change fron a year ago.??? There are plenty of wheats still in circulation. Hec they hold up better than the darn Memorials. LOL Hey have you been back to the Plantation. Pm me if you want and let me know or all of us. HH

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I have found 100 year old (and older) coins laying right on or just below the surface. I also have dug clad coins as deep as 4 - 5 inches deep. Who knows what forces are at work to cause such anomalies. HH.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Frost heave will bring stuff further up over the years. when the ground is warm and then a good frost will cause ground to move.
Kinda unlikely in Tennessee but it could explain it.
Dano

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
i have one spot that i have found mercs at less than 2 in.and yesterday i found a 1968 penny at 6in.I found an indian head1899 at 2 so who knows? dig em all and let yourself sort em out.

peace,bigrig

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
I have found a total of 32 wheats in my yard and I lost count of the memorials, but I have found memorials down at least a foot and wheats up in the sod, and vice versa...and inbetween LOL. I dont know why it happens that way but it does. Cograds on your finds. Take er easy and good luck on your next hunt!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Twister - found my first wheatie this weekend with my MXT under the same conditions with quite abit of corrosion on it too. Only thing I can think of it was in a area that does not see heavy traffic or was just dropped last year. What ever explanation anyone comes up with will still be a mystery ;D

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If everything were equal you would expect the oldest coins to be the deepest and the newest coins to be the most shallow. But in the real world everything is not equal.

Soil conditions vary widely. A coin dropped in the Florida sand will get to 6" depth much quicker than a coin dropped in the red clay of Georgia. Weather conditions (rain, freeze/thaw cycles, etc.) are a factor in how quickly a coin descends through the soil. A flood can quickly remove or deposit several inches or several feet of soil.

Another factor is whether the soil has been disturbed. Plowing a field could deposit a freshly dropped 2005 Minnesota quarter 10" below the surface while bringing to the surface a long buried Colonial Copper. Yards, and especially gardens, may have been roto-tilled so anything buried within the zone that is disturbed will get relocated, maybe higher, maybe lower.

The size and mass of the coin is a factor. The larger the coin the more surface area and the more resistance the coin sees as it moves through the soil. The lighter the coin the less force (gravity) that pulls it downward.

There are many, many variables that determine how deep a coin will be in the soil. The thing to remember is the coins are where they are and our goal is to find them. Half the fun is trying to figure out why you found the 1964 nickel 2" below the 1941 Merc. (Maybe the nickel was dropped in 1964 and the Merc was dropped in 1966.)

Ours is not to ask why ... but where.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions