Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new DFX and I are getting along just grand & My hunt with LUCKY BOB

I bought a new DFX this winter, and along with it I also picked up a sun-ray probe, an extra coil w/ an extra lower shaft, plus some other goodies. I read through the manual and I also flipped through both Foster's Digging Deeper with the DFX, as well as, Normandi's Understanding Whites DFX. Finally, I watched the two DVD's that came with the unit. So you can probably image how I've become overwhelmed with information.

Anyhow, prior to today, I had only gone hunting with this machine three times. The first time was in the woods, the second time was at an open grass field and the last time was at the beach. The first two times I had gone out with the DFX I experienced what I'll call, a bit of an adjustment period, having moved on to this machine after user a Garrett for a number of years. However, by my third trip out, the day I spent at the beach, I felt like I was finally getting some confidence with using the detector, with particular respect to interpreting just what the machine was trying to tell me. I should say too that I was very happy with how the DFX performed at the beach. It was very stable and had no problem detecting right at the waters edge or in and out of the wet sand.

So, on what was a somewhat blustery day here in New England, my friend, Lucky Bob, and I decided that we'd both have had enough with being cooped up in our respective houses and decided we would brave the strong winds and coolish temperatures and give it hell. I'm so glad we did because, I have to say, the DFX was really singing for me.

I found the DFX to perform really well at picking out good signals amongst a mix of trashy targets. I had previously hunted this area before, using my Garrett, and had only come away with the typical clad, along with a few other odds and ends. But not today, today I was hitting pay dirt.

Lucky uses a Whites XLT, and his love of that machine was a big influence on my decision to buy the DFX. Lucky managed to find a few nice keepers for himself today, including several Wheaties, a silver Washington quarter, and probably the best dog gone looking Indian head penny, an 1879, that I've ever had the privilege of seeing come out of the ground,. It had sharp legends, a full liberty and extremely clear details, even pretty good color considering.

Now don't feel bad for me, I held my own just fine. I managed to find the triple crown of silver dimes and then some. I got a Rosie, a Merc, a Barber and two seated! I also found my first standing liberty quarter. Added to that I found my first early silver half, a really sharp 1892 Barber. The two seated dimes and the Barber half came out of the same hole, which by the way made it my first silver pocket spill. I also got another first when I picked up a union civil war token! Talk about losing your metal detecting virginity. Woohoo!!

Needless to say I'm loving the DFX!
Oh, and I don't plan on fiddling with the settings, I think I've got it locked on to find the good stuff. ;D ;D ;D

Happy Hunting All,

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• coins 03092008.jpg
    coins 03092008.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 668
  • Lucky Hunting.jpg
    Lucky Hunting.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 654
  • DFX1.jpg
    DFX1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 344
  • DFX2.jpg
    DFX2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 364
  • DFX3.jpg
    DFX3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 353
  • DFX4.jpg
    DFX4.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: My new DFX and I are getting along just grand & My hunt with LUCKY BOB

Awesome! Sounds like you and the new machine have clicked and are off to the races! Some beautiful finds you got there! Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Wow, you didn't even mention the lowly SLQ! :D ;D

Man, I didn't even find a single seated coin last year. You are making me very jealous. :)

How deep were the coins? Beginners luck? Did you adjust the AC, DC sensitivity and the preamp gain? You know I hunted at least a year with the DFX with the preamp gain at 2! ::)

I almost found the same pocket spill that you did..... It was in NY. I dug the signal. Turned out to be a sweet barber dime. I was a little green so I did not check the hole. Butch came back and checked the hole - two more seated dimes in the hole! ::) :D ;D

Good luck with the DFX. It's a good machine.

Bob

OP
OP
Johnny Cache Hunter

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Bob! You're right, I was so excited about the Barber Half and the two seated dimes I forgot about the Standing liberty, I've since edited my comments. The coins were mixed in depth. The barber dime was not too deep but very close to the water and right by an old tree stump at maybe 3-4 inches down. The Mercury dime was actually pretty deep, I'd say all of six inches anyway, but the ground was totally saturated with water in that area and that likely helped. The seated dimes and the Barber were somewhat deep. By that I mean, the signal I got only showed up as a dime reading around 81 or so. I pulled out the dime and then rechecked the hole and I was still getting a signal. I checked the hole again with my Vibra-probe but didn't get any response, so I switched to the Sun-ray probe in the hole and it hit on something. I ended up taking two or three more full handfulls of dirt out of the hole before the Vibra-probe found the coin, at this point I had to be at, or deeper, than six inches.

I just couldn't believe it when I pulled out the Barber half, even seeing there in my hands I was blown away. I yelled loudly for Lucky to come over, he was a bit ahead of me. We rinsed the two coins gently in the water nearby in order to get a better look at them. It wasn't until I re-re-checked the hole, and dirt around it, that I found the other seated, the better of the two no less, lying in some of the dirt I had already removed from the hole. Lucky just about fell over at that point.

I have tweaked DFX. I started out by loading the pre-programmed jewelry beach settings and then began to make adjustments from there based upon the things I've read, and the experiences that lucky has shared with me on how he used his XLT, and they don't call him lucky for nothing ;). I saved the tweaked up settings under one the available programable slots and just called it johns settings. Then took those settings I just saved and tweaked them a little further still, making it so the machine would run just a little bit hotter and also putting the screen backlight on as an option. I then saved those settings under another empty slot and called it Johns night setttings. It was actually these settings that I was using today, except I shut off the backlight, as I didn't need it. I may replace another of my empty slots with these same hotter settings without the backlight option turned on just for convenience sake. The DFX really is a nice machine and I'm very happy with it, it was a good jump up for me.

*** Obviously I'm a new DFX user, and therefore I am extremely limited in knowledge and experience as far as this machine is concerned. That having been said, a couple of other DXF users asked me how the machine was set up. Now I can't say these settings are the best way to set up the DFX or that they provide the best combination of deep seeking action and good trash discrimination, I simply don't know enough to even begin to comment on such things. But they are the settings I used for this hunt, except I ended up shutting off the backlight as mentioned. Another thing too of course, is that the conditions that I was hunting in, an area of moderate to heavy trash but also very well soaked with rain, may just have been well suited for these settings and others could have a very different experience. The reason for this disclaimer of sorts is just that I don't want anybody to misinterpret my reason for posting the settings, thinking perhaps that I'm suddenly some kind of know-it-all and offing advice after only using the machine a handful of times. That's certainly not the case here and just not my personality in general. So for those who asked, or others who are curious, here are the settings. ***

Johnny Cache

Attachments

• JCH DFX Settings.jpg
    JCH DFX Settings.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 388

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

Awesome finds, I especially like the token, I found one like it next to an old church in Ohio a few years ago.

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whoa Nice Digs...Great day all around for you...Cool Pics

coolbeans

Apr 11, 2007
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites...dfx- D2- sunray..dx-1 whites...beach hunter id 300 garrett..ace..250 bullseye..II

awesome finds! ilove my dfx!

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very NICE!!!

Any mintmarks on the seateds & barbers?

WTG,
-SgtSki

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.

wow some great finds.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Johnny,

I am excited for you!

Just like you, I have been using Garrett machines over the last fiew years. I just got my DFX last week. I took it out for a little while just to get used to it, but i have yet to start tweaking it. I hope I have similar results as you!

Congratulations,
Neil!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Glad to see an experienced detectorist getting positive reinforcement from jumping to the DFX.

That's an incredible gang of coins, a whole season's worth of primo items for some of us! Great hunt!

I'm hoping to find my 1st seated something this year.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

What a spectacular collection! I've had some pretty good days, but nothing to match that one. What variety SLQ? Great finds!

OP
OP
Johnny Cache Hunter

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SgtSki in MI said:
Very NICE!!!

Any mintmarks on the seateds & barbers?

WTG,
-SgtSki

Boy, I wish there were, especially on that Barber half I woudn't have minded finding a small O, but no there aren't any minkmarks.

OP
OP
Johnny Cache Hunter

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

halfdime said:
What a spectacular collection! I've had some pretty good days, but nothing to match that one. What variety SLQ? Great finds!

It's soo worn that I'm not exactly sure, but I believe it's a 1926 variety 2. I'm pretty sure I can make out the top of a 6 at the end of the date.

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done

Johnny,

Hey how come nobody call me ! I really would have liked to have seen your find come out of the hole buddy.Congradulations you deserve it. Let's get out I'd love to see Bob and yourself again now that the ground is starting to soften up,Give me a call and we'll go. HH

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Wow, Johnny, you did so well. That's my kind of finds!!

I've never heard of anyone finding 2 seated dimes and a barber half in one hole. What an exciting pocket spill to dig!! :o :o

Thanks for you story.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

man what a day the token is awesome congrats

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Dang Johnny! What a great day for you and your new machine. Looks like you spent some time figuring it out.

I can't wait for things to defrost up this way and get out myself. Hopefully we can get together agian this year.

Great post Johnny!
Kim

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whites Rock, I swing and MXT. Do they have covers like yours for them, also how much are those pinpointers?

Killer Haul, WTG !!

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Johnny Cache Hunter

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting