Awesome weekend on a Bavarian field, Hammered 1586 silver and the German Police.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great weekend on a Bavarian field, 3 hunts for about 6 hours detecting time and I didn’t finish this hunted out field, LOL. I have hunted this field several times and every time it gets plowed, it gives up more great finds and I take everything out of it as I go. I am fortunate to have several fields that I am allowed to detect even when cropped as I have established a very good relationship with the farmers and landowners. Sunday, the police stopped by just as I arrived at the field and asked me if I was going to look for more coins, I said of course, how did you know as I didn’t have the detector out yet. They said they know who I am then I remembered these were the same guys that stopped a few years ago just to ask what I was looking for. The police suggested I go over to the fields where the original town was until 1250AD and I had to explain I could not detect there because of my permit and it was considered a monument, I have fields around it but I can’t detect on the site. They laughed about that as it is farm fields now and wished me good luck. Here’s the field, there was an old farm at the top of this hill until the mid/late 1600s.
9Mar08field.jpg

A few whatsits, I am certain the bottom relic is an old heel plate, note the wear on the lower left.
9Mar08heelrel.jpg

A few surface finds, pipe stems, 2 black glass beads, broken blue glass bead, white glass button and a black glass button.
9Mar08glassbeads.jpg

Obverse of 6 buttons, upper right is a lead button, found a small hand full of buttons.
9Mar08buttonsO.jpg

Reverse of the buttons.
9Mar08buttonsR.jpg

A few relics, top is a small bowl weight, bottom a hilt from a small dagger or knife, left and right are unknowns.
9Mar08relics.jpg

Seven various sized musket balls and two lead seals.
9Mar08lead.jpg

Obverse of a nice beer token good for a half liter of beer and a religious pendant.
9Mar08beerRelO.jpg

Reverse of the beer token and religious pendant.
9Mar08beerRelR.jpg

Obverse of two copper coins, 1821 and 1851.
9Mar08copacoinsO.jpg

Reverse of the 1821 and 1851.
9Mar08copacoinsR.jpg

Obverse of two silver coins, 1808 and 1859.
9Mar08silO.jpg

Reverse of the silver 1808 and 1859.
9Mar08silR.jpg

My best find in a long time, a silver hammered coin dated 1586 from King Rudolf II of Austria, 1552-1612. His reign was from 1576-1612. The date of 86 is above the coat of arms. It is possible this coin is milled and not hammered as they were practicing coin milling during this time period and the coin has an oddity to it that does look like a milled slip as if they started to run it through then backed off. The obverse.
9Mar08sil1586O.jpg

Reverse of the silver 1586. Double headed eagle with crown above. 01:00 position on the legend are the letters RVDII for Rudolf II. At the 05:00 legend position is the oddity, note the RO is double stamped, this could be from the milling process or maybe a quick offset hammer tap. My Archie friend stopped by the field and IDed the coin for me, he actually pulled a list of kings from his wallet starting around 900AD as he is setting up a coin display in the museum and also asked me to contribute my finds for display. Our town turned 1000 years old this year and there will be a big celebration over the summer months that I will be glad to be apart of. It was a good weekend and I will be moving back home within the next month thank goodness!!! HH, Mike
9Mar08sil1586R.jpg

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sitting here, trying REALLY hard to think of a word that could describe my thoughts on your finds from today...........still thinking.......nope...nothing yet..... :D
I just know if I had the opportunity to find items that old....well...I'd probably never leave that field! :D I always LOVE to see what you've dug up over there, Mike! Always something breathtaking!

Many congrats!!! Nana :)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, good to see you have a super outing, and that silver is great! That one button in the upper right hand corner looks to be eons older than the others and some of them are old, great site you have there, congrats!!

Don

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
WOW! Those are some great finds!
Baggins

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Wow doesn;t even seem a close word for your finds.Totally cool relics and coins.Looks like atleast 1 more month until the ground is not froze here.I;m twitchin every time I look at the detectors.HH...Panz

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. those coins are very well reserved.

SKD

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Great finds again Mike.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation's on the hammered Mike,I'd consider your eyeball find's a good day ;) And where's my "archie" friend when you need a quick reference....might have to fire him next trip out.Awesome job Mike!!!!!!!!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
UNBELIEVABLE finds!!! Congrats on that 1586 silver coin. Thanks for the interesting info on it. What a find!!!
I love that beer token too. ;D
AWESOME POST!!!
-MM-

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
All of your finds are just AWESOME, Mike. Nice job!! I keep staring at that 1586 silver.... :o :o Your buttons are very cool too. I agree with Don...that one in the upper right corner looks real oooold.

Thanks for a pic of the field too. You are one lucky guy to have places like that to detect.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:wave: You're right, Just Awesome Mike. What I wouldn't give to have a field like that close to my front door!
Happy Hunting Mike

Desertfox

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your awsome find ,mike :headbang:

t.p

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Awesome weekend on a Bavarian field, Hammered 1586 silver and the German Pol

Mike,

Just looking at that field was enough to make me drool on my keyboard... Those are, yet again, some unbelievable finds! What history. A 1586??? Geez, and I was happy with a 1919 Merc. :D Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul.

The item left of the bowl weight is a type of strap-end buckle.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike that is one nice coin! Glad you are moving back home soon!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions