Civil War Envelope

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I bought this many years ago when I was a tweener for the stamp. I am glad now I never removed the stamp from it.

Twenty-Second Regiment, Fourth Brigade N.G. S.N.Y.

Formed in 1861, Sept 19 1861. Five companies of this new regiment were last evening inspected and sworn in at the Division Armory, by Major Taylor, Brigade Inspector of the Fourth Brigade, to which brigade the Twenty-second is attached. This is an entirely new regiment.
NYC Headquarters University Place and 13th St.
Mustered in: May 28, 1862
Mustered out: September 5, 1862
Left the State: June 18, 1863
Mustered out: July 24, 1863
This regiment, located in New York city and still in existence, was organized in April, 1861. In 1867 the regiment took up rifle practice as part of its drill, and in 1871 it established for itself a rifle range and system of practice which was in 1873 adopted by the National Rifle Association. Company G was disbanded March 22, 1878, and new Company G organized April 30, 1879. Company F was disbanded October 10, 1890, and new Company F organized January 8, 1891. Company I was disbanded October 10, 1890, and new Company I organized October 6, 1892. May 7, 1898, it was authorized to be temporarily consolidated into eight companies, and four companies of the I3th Regiment were attached to it, preparatory to entry into the United States service, in which it was mustered on May 24, 1898, as the 22d Regiment Infantry, N. Y. Volunteers, and it was mustered out November 23, 1898. February 19, 1902, the regiment was converted into a regiment of engineers retaining, however, its number.
The regiment has received authority to place silver rings on the lances of its colors, engraved as follows:
On the National Color.— Harper's Ferry, 1862; Gettysburg Campaign, 1863; Sporting Hill, Pa., June 30, 1863; Carlisle, Pa., July 1, 1863; Spanish-American war, 1898.
On the State Color.— Draft riots, 1863; Orange riots, 1871; Buffalo, 1892; Brooklyn, 1895-
This regiment, nine companies, served in the War of the Rebellion, left the State May 28, 1862, commanded by Col. James Monroe. It was mustered in the United States service for three months at Baltimore, Md., and mustered out under the command of Lieut.-Col. Lloyd Aspinwall, September 5, 1862, at New York city.
June 18, 1863, the regiment, commanded by Colonel Aspinwall, was ordered to proceed to Harrisburg, Pa. It left the State on the same day, was mustered in the United States service for thirty days; served in the 4th Brigade, 1st Division, Department Susquehanna, and from July 8th, in the 3d Brigade, 2d Division, 6th Corps, Army of Potomac. It was mustered out July 24, 1863, at New York city.
During its service in 1862, the regiment lost by death, of disease, one officer; and in its service in 1863, it took part in the following skirmishes: June 30th, at Sporting Hill, Pa.; July 1st, at Carlisle, Pa., where it had one officer and two enlisted men wounded.

Thomas Short Esq. Manufacturer of Shorts Patent Knapsack. Salem Mass.

Made of a very compact and transformable design, this knapsack was designed to protect and carry the soldier's personal items. Although several configurations and construction techniques of the painted cloth body have been found, the leather portions are almost identical. The strapping was designed to be disassembled and used in as an "assault pack", in keeping with the French Light Infantry tactics of the day. This knapsack saw wide use through the entire war. While it is common knowledge that infantry would wear this knapsack it was surprising to find that this was worn and used by many artillery units..

I am more of a revolutionary war buff but I love history and research. Would just love to know who wrote it and what it said.

HH

- Joe

Attachments

• civil war envelope.jpg
    civil war envelope.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing piece of history to have and it's in such good condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread