First hunt of 2008 yields 2 large coppers. (Large cent and HALF CENT) UPDATE!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats up TNetters. How have you been. I haven't been out at all since late November so I decided mid-40's was a high enough temperarure to get started. I have a buddy who had a good site lined up for us to hunt. This particular homesite (nothing left but a foundation in the woods) was on a map from the late 1800's but we knew it dated back farther than that....we just werent sure how far back.
The first half hour or so was pretty uneventful. Lots of iron hits near where what looked like a barn or shed used to be. I didn't start getting any good hits until I made my way into a fairly clear area. Here I was able to locate a couple old buttons. They looked to me to be at least early 1800's.
IMG_1039.JPG

I turned to my buddy Steve and said "Where there's buttons, the coins can't be too far behind" My statement proved to be clairvoyant as my very next find about 3 minutes later was a large copper coin. It was pretty caked with dirt out of the hole so I wasn't sure what it was. Once I was able to get it soaking I was able to determine that its a draped bust large cent 179? Its in the 1790's but I cant quite make out the last digit. Can anyone see it?
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

We took a short break to get something to drink and right after the break I picked up where I left off. My first post break find was another coin. I was almost sure I had a 2 cent piece. I found one before and it seemed to be about the same size. I couldn't make out any detail as the coin was again covered with dirt. I rubbed a little of the wet dirt off of it (being careful not to damage the coin) and staring back at me were the words "HALF CENT". I walked over to Steve and said "Dude....this is a half cent. I've never found one of these before." Here are some pictues of it after soaking. It turned out to be an 1809.
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG

Steve had a couple nice finds for the day. The first of which is this buckle/clasp type item.(last picture) I've seen a few of these on the site before but never one with a cross on it like this. I thought it was a cool find. These other pictures are a compilation of my finds for the day.
IMG_1033.JPG

Steve was also able to locate a beautiful intact crotal bell. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of that find but I was jealous because I have never found an intact crotal bell before. Thanks for looking and best of luck to everyone next time out.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 979
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: First hunt of 2008 yields 2 large coppers. (Large cent and HALF CENT)

bookfisher said:
Wow! Very, very cool. I've dug approximately 20 to 25 Large Cents and King George II Coppers, but I've never dug a Half Cent! They're much rarer than Large Cents! WTG! You definitely have a great site. Approximately how much of an area is there to hunt?
It's a pretty big site. There was really no rhyme or reason to todays hunt. Today was pretty much wander around until you find a few hot spots. There's probably about half an acre to an acre of huntable ground near the foundation and maybe a little more if we fan out a bit after that for some woods hunting. At some point we'll have to grid it out and hunt it thoroughly. Theres gotta be a few more keepers in there somewhere. Thanks for the response.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
KirkPA said:
Rob,

How deep were the coins?

Kirk
The large cent was 5.5 inches and was a quarter signal. The half cent was much more shallow. It was only about 2 inches deep. It read in the 70's on the VDI scale. Also, here is a site picture for those of you who enjoy them. The coins were found on the other side of the foundation from where the pic was taken about 75 feet from the foundation. They were about 15 feet from each other, and the buttons were close by as well.

Also, check that foundation, maybe there's a cache hidden in those stones!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
bookfisher said:
Wow! Very, very cool. I've dug approximately 20 to 25 Large Cents and King George II Coppers, but I've never dug a Half Cent! They're much rarer than Large Cents! WTG! You definitely have a great site. Approximately how much of an area is there to hunt?
It's a pretty big site. There was really no rhyme or reason to todays hunt. Today was pretty much wander around until you find a few hot spots. There's probably about half an acre to an acre of huntable ground near the foundation and maybe a little more if we fan out a bit after that for some woods hunting. At some point we'll have to grid it out and hunt it thoroughly. Theres gotta be a few more keepers in there somewhere. Thanks for the response.

I'm telling you, eventually you've got to hunt that WHOLE area in the picture - those woods all the way off to the left, and those woods way across the street. If those woods continue like that beyond your picture, that whole area for like a quarter of a mile will probably produce finds. When you do hunt those larger woods, use your sixth sense, what I mean is just follow your instincts, and try to picture where that hunting party or other people in those woods stopped to rest. At the crest of hills, and level areas on top of hills, clearings in the woods, ect. Remember, I found my Gold Sovereign in about a five acre section of old woods, with NO visible foundation.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:
Evolution said:
bookfisher said:

I'm telling you, eventually you've got to hunt that WHOLE area in the picture - those woods all the way off to the left, and those woods way across the street. If those woods continue like that beyond your picture, that whole area for like a quarter of a mile will probably produce finds.
Thanks for the tip Bookfisher. Now that you mention it, the woods across the street looked good too. There didn't used to be a paved road there after all, although there may have been a road. The whole area is surrounded by a few crisscrossing streams. From what I understand, alot of older homesites were located near the streams and creeks.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
bookfisher said:
Evolution said:
bookfisher said:

I'm telling you, eventually you've got to hunt that WHOLE area in the picture - those woods all the way off to the left, and those woods way across the street. If those woods continue like that beyond your picture, that whole area for like a quarter of a mile will probably produce finds.
Thanks for the tip Bookfisher. Now that you mention it, the woods across the street looked good too. There didn't used to be a paved road there after all, although there may have been a road. The whole area is surrounded by a few crisscrossing streams. From what I understand, alot of older homesites were located near the streams and creeks.

I'm drooling here! I have some expertise and an affinity for woods hunting, and those woods, my friend, look real good! What I would do if I was you, in my next couple of hunts it would be the random, no rhyme or reason, just go by luck and instinct type hunting, making a mental note where some hot spots were. Then, say on my next visits, I would pick a spot and do my grid hunting. Remember, even after visiting that spot many times, it can still produce, since covering every inch of ground takes many, many hours, and even with a good grid, you still miss spots. You might remember the old woods I've posted about where I've found Reales, Large Cents, Capped Half Dime, ect, well I hit that place at least FIFTY TIMES, before I found the 1787 Massachusetts Copper. That's the one with the cool looking Indian with a long bow on the obverse. So, hit that whole general 1/4 mile area and hit it hard!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

bookfisher said:
Evolution said:
bookfisher said:
Evolution said:
bookfisher said:

I'm drooling here! I have some expertise and an affinity for woods hunting, and those woods, my friend, look real good! What I would do if I was you, in my next couple of hunts it would be the random, no rhyme or reason, just go by luck and instinct type hunting, making a mental note where some hot spots were. Then, say on my next visits, I would pick a spot and do my grid hunting. Remember, even after visiting that spot many times, it can still produce, since covering every inch of ground takes many, many hours, and even with a good grid, you still miss spots. You might remember the old woods I've posted about where I've found Reales, Large Cents, Capped Half Dime, ect, well I hit that place at least FIFTY TIMES, before I found the 1787 Massachusetts Copper. That's the one with the cool looking Indian with a long bow on the obverse. So, hit that whole general 1/4 mile area and hit it hard and often!

Final thought - There's a possiblity that some of that woods across the street or to the sides of where the foundation is, is where the farm or farmland was. If any of that area in the picture was used for farming, THAT'S where a lot of finds are going to come from. Is there any level land in the area? Keep in mind, if it was farmland 200 years ago, there's going to be lots of trees there now, but there shouldn't be any ancient (100 or 200 year old) massive trees there.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Wow...nice!!!Thanks for the pictures it was like being there.
Nice finds indeed. :happy1:

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:
bookfisher said:
Evolution said:
bookfisher said:
Evolution said:
bookfisher said:

I'm drooling here! I have some expertise and an affinity for woods hunting, and those woods, my friend, look real good! What I would do if I was you, in my next couple of hunts it would be the random, no rhyme or reason, just go by luck and instinct type hunting, making a mental note where some hot spots were. Then, say on my next visits, I would pick a spot and do my grid hunting. Remember, even after visiting that spot many times, it can still produce, since covering every inch of ground takes many, many hours, and even with a good grid, you still miss spots. You might remember the old woods I've posted about where I've found Reales, Large Cents, Capped Half Dime, ect, well I hit that place at least FIFTY TIMES, before I found the 1787 Massachusetts Copper. That's the one with the cool looking Indian with a long bow on the obverse. So, hit that whole general 1/4 mile area and hit it hard and often!

Final thought - There's a possiblity that some of that woods across the street or to the sides of where the foundation is, is where the farm or farmland was. If any of that area in the picture was used for farming, THAT'S where a lot of finds are going to come from. Is there any level land in the area? Keep in mind, if it was farmland 200 years ago, there's going to be lots of trees there now, but there shouldn't be any ancient (100 or 200 year old) massive trees there.
It's interesting that you would bring that up. Steve and I actually made comments today about how there was a lack of really old growth trees in the area. The land in the immediate area near the house site is flat but across the small stream that runs nearby there is a large steep hill. I'm not entirely sure what the lay of the land is across the street but I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm there.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

awesome finds rob !!!!!!!!!!

what a way to start off your year, way to go buddy !

---------- EVOLUTION DETAIL ----------

wish i could find them like that :-\

kevin

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

awesome coins !!! love the half cent !!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :) :) :) :)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Rob, it is good to see you back and posting ancient coppers again. I can truly tell that you love to dig coppers just like Colonial Silver Zeus, KirkPA, and me. :thumbsup:

Keep the fever high, man! :headbang:

Kyle

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vpone said:
awesome finds rob !!!!!!!!!!

what a way to start off your year, way to go buddy !

---------- EVOLUTION DETAIL ----------

wish i could find them like that :-\

kevin
Hey Kevin. Whats up buddy. As I said above, the fertilizer from the farm fields is the ultimate "copper killer". Luckily, these were found in the woods and were not disturbed much at all over the years. I still seem to be a few large coppers behind you for the year however. :notworthy: So keep up the good work.
zoyboy said:
Rob, it is good to see you back and posting ancient coppers again. I can truly tell that you love to dig coppers just like Colonial Silver Zeus, KirkPA, and me. :thumbsup:

Keep the fever high, man! :headbang:

Kyle
Hey Zoy. I appreciate the support. Your research tips have helped me improve my game for the upcoming season. Hopefully I can pull a few more coppers along the way.
Green1 said:
awesome coins !!! love the half cent !!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :) :) :) :)
I was surprised to say the least when that thing came out of the ground. I couldn't believe I actually had a half cent. I'm glad I was able to get a date from it too. Thanks for the reply Green.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was looking a little more closely at the Draped Bust cent today. Looking at it from different angles and under different lighting trying to decipher the last digit of the date. I mentioned it to my mother and she suggested taking a pencil rubbing of the coin. Thats what I did and it worked great. It turns out to be a 1797. Here is a picture of the rubbing that I took.

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 497

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Rob,

You rock! I love you, my man! :P :tongue3:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The clasp item appears to be a suspender clip. Those are some GREAT, early coppers there!

-Buckleboy

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great coins........That is one nice site you have there. Remember those small silver pieces, those are the ones worth a few bucks. Especially the US coins. Your half cent kinda looks familiar.........John
DEJA-VU :o

P1220022 700x525.jpg

Attachments

• P1220022 700x525.jpg
    P1220022 700x525.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 416

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding hunt EV, Man am I jelious!! :icon_pirat:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Great finds! Can't wait to see what else you pull out of that site!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread