First hunt of 2008 yields 2 large coppers. (Large cent and HALF CENT) UPDATE!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats up TNetters. How have you been. I haven't been out at all since late November so I decided mid-40's was a high enough temperarure to get started. I have a buddy who had a good site lined up for us to hunt. This particular homesite (nothing left but a foundation in the woods) was on a map from the late 1800's but we knew it dated back farther than that....we just werent sure how far back.
The first half hour or so was pretty uneventful. Lots of iron hits near where what looked like a barn or shed used to be. I didn't start getting any good hits until I made my way into a fairly clear area. Here I was able to locate a couple old buttons. They looked to me to be at least early 1800's.
IMG_1039.JPG

I turned to my buddy Steve and said "Where there's buttons, the coins can't be too far behind" My statement proved to be clairvoyant as my very next find about 3 minutes later was a large copper coin. It was pretty caked with dirt out of the hole so I wasn't sure what it was. Once I was able to get it soaking I was able to determine that its a draped bust large cent 179? Its in the 1790's but I cant quite make out the last digit. Can anyone see it?
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

We took a short break to get something to drink and right after the break I picked up where I left off. My first post break find was another coin. I was almost sure I had a 2 cent piece. I found one before and it seemed to be about the same size. I couldn't make out any detail as the coin was again covered with dirt. I rubbed a little of the wet dirt off of it (being careful not to damage the coin) and staring back at me were the words "HALF CENT". I walked over to Steve and said "Dude....this is a half cent. I've never found one of these before." Here are some pictues of it after soaking. It turned out to be an 1809.
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG

Steve had a couple nice finds for the day. The first of which is this buckle/clasp type item.(last picture) I've seen a few of these on the site before but never one with a cross on it like this. I thought it was a cool find. These other pictures are a compilation of my finds for the day.
IMG_1033.JPG

Steve was also able to locate a beautiful intact crotal bell. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of that find but I was jealous because I have never found an intact crotal bell before. Thanks for looking and best of luck to everyone next time out.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 978
Upvote 1

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: First hunt of 2008 yields 2 large coppers. (Large cent and HALF CENT)

Hey, Rob, what's up, buddy? It is about time we saw some coppas from you. Nice detail on the Draped Bust! As vpone would state, "I love the Evolution detail." :D :)

Colonial Silver Zeus, zoyboy, and I are going to detect this Sunday, so I will let the forum know what we find. :icon_sunny:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW ! Those really stood the test of time..what a way to begin your year!

Congrats,
Nat

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
Hey, Rob, what's up, buddy? It is about time we saw some coppas from you. Nice detail on the Draped Bust! As vpone would state, "I love the Evolution detail." :D :)

Colonial Silver Zeus, zoyboy, and I are going to detect this Sunday, so I will let the forum know what we find. :icon_sunny:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk
Hey Kirk. Thanks for the response bro. I'll be looking forward to what you guys turn up on Sunday. Best of luck

coinsearcher

Feb 27, 2008
Central, CA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro W/ SunRay probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds man! those are all worth the time to find :thumbsup:
Brian

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Great finds!

HH

- joe

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Natman said:
WOW ! Those really stood the test of time..what a way to begin your year!

Congrats,
Nat
Thankfully, these weren't found in a cornfield. The fertilizer really messes up the copper coins.

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island

uhg every time i see a post about a large cent finding i go green with envy , nice job :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hey, it's good to see you back out there swinging your machine. I enjoyed your posts last year. It looks like you're off to a great start!! Very nice Coppa finds, Rob!!

Congrats on your first Half-Cent!! :thumbsup:
Best of luck on your next hunt!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
Hey, it's good to see you back out there swinging your machine. I enjoyed your posts last year. It looks like you're off to a great start!! Very nice Coppa finds, Rob!!

Congrats on your first Half-Cent!! :thumbsup:
Best of luck on your next hunt!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks alot Dan. Your posts were very entertaining last year as well (especially the videos). The half cent was definitely a surprise. Now get out there and find some SILVER :notworthy:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Guys!!!

Ev,
Those coins are FANTASTIC!!! :thumbsup: You da' Man.
Congrats to you,
MM

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300

Congrats on the nice finds. Nice to see that old man winter is on the run and your back out diggin again. Best of luck for another great year!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
Rob,

How deep were the coins?

Kirk
The large cent was 5.5 inches and was a quarter signal. The half cent was much more shallow. It was only about 2 inches deep. It read in the 70's on the VDI scale. Also, here is a site picture for those of you who enjoy them. The coins were found on the other side of the foundation from where the pic was taken about 75 feet from the foundation. They were about 15 feet from each other, and the buttons were close by as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 825

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)

Great stuff man...keep it coming!!!

~Tom

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve just e-mailed me some pics of the crotal bell He found. Here are a few. It's in really nice shape and as I said before I'm jealous because I've never found an intact one.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 731
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 775
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 739

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Wow! Very, very cool. I've dug, all together, approximately 40 Large Cents, King George II Coppers, and unidentified coppers, but I've never dug a Half Cent! They're much rarer than Large Cents! WTG! You definitely have a great site. Approximately how much of an area is there to hunt?

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
KirkPA said:
Rob,

How deep were the coins?

Kirk
The large cent was 5.5 inches and was a quarter signal. The half cent was much more shallow. It was only about 2 inches deep. It read in the 70's on the VDI scale. Also, here is a site picture for those of you who enjoy them. The coins were found on the other side of the foundation from where the pic was taken about 75 feet from the foundation. They were about 15 feet from each other, and the buttons were close by as well.

Oh Man! Look at that all those beautiful woods to hunt! An area like that can keep on producing for many, many hunts. Eventually you can fan out and hunt further and further from the foundation, because who ever lived there, hunted and played in the surrounding woods, and they of course dropped stuff. Also, after you've hunted it many times and the good signals start getting difficult to find, you can go back and really slow down, and start moving logs and fallen branches, and putting your coil in those hard to reach spots that you bypass in the early hunts. I'm sure you're going to be pulling out a lot more keepers from that spot! One final thought; you're pretty lucky, for your first Half Cent, you got one in nice condition with a very readable date to the obverse and a very legible "Half Cent" to the reverse

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Excellent find's and Beautiful "site" pic'....Those are the place's we strive to find.Big Congrat's to ya Evolution and HH!!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

WOW! What a day of hunting! That looks like a great place to be out swinging the coil...Hope you get back soon, and find some more!
HH
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread