Spectacles, Souvenirs, And A Broken Detector.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
*Heavy Theatrical Sigh*

Hello everybody, Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you all. It's not actually Saint Patty's day yet, but in a few minutes it will be. Today *was* my mother's birthday however, and I went to the farm to visit with her and my father after putting in some overtime at work this morning. After leaving work I picked up some flowers to go along with my card for my mother. I got live (potted) flowers as opposed to "cut" flowers. My mom loves to garden, cut flowers just don't ... well... "Cut it".
What with working and all, I'd forgotten that it was actually Sunday. Can you imagine that? Anyway, Mom and Dad weren't home so I left the flowers (pots and all) by the door and stuck her card in the door jam where she would find it as she went into the house. Now what? Well, I went for a drive in the country, back roads and all. I ended up in a neighboring community and drove right past an elementary school. I was thinking "Man, you should check out that playground someday." Then I thought, "Hey! You've got the detector in the back of the truck! It's Sunday! No Children in School today!" So, I turned around and went back to the school. I had my finds bag and knee pads and gloves on faster than it takes to read about it. With detector in hand I set out to search the grounds. About halfway across the school yard I realized that I still had my steel toed boots on from work earlier. Yeah, a LOT of stray signals I'd been getting were my own two feet!
So. Keep the coil farther away from my feet and see what I can turn up. Quite a bit actually. I found a bunch of pennies, two of which had been pressed in one of those souvenir Penny Presses, flattened and impressed with whatever. After cleaning them up I found that while "different" they were from the same place, a "Wildlife Center" run by the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Department near our state's capitol. I'm thinking these are the remnants of a school field trip. Oh, And a "Wal*Mart" key. Probably not a key TO Wal*Mart though, you think?

3-16-08 004.jpg

Not far from those two goodies was another goody. My second Presidential Dollar Coin in Two weeks. Another George Washington, but Hey! It's a DOLLAR COIN!
Not far from George were a couple of tokens, several feet apart, and from different places.

3-16-08 002.jpg
There was the hood off of a car.. ok, a Matchbox or Hotwheels car maybe.

I found a couple of Zipper pulls, a button, pull tabs, a single tacky earring, another mechanical pencil, and even someones pair of specs. The glasses were intact, if slightly bent. Oh, and there was the clad, $6.11 today, in ONE playground, in about ONE and a quarter hours. I think I'm going to have to go back to that town and check out the other elementary schools there as well. Apparently no one else has been detecting there. Cha Ching!

3-16-08 001.jpg

Only I'll have to do it after I fix my detector. *sigh*
Yep, my trusty little Prizm IV snapped on me today, again. Well it wasn't the detector actually that broke, but the plastic arm cuff. I've had this happen once before, about almost a year ago. The last time, my White's Dealer replaced the entire detector outright. For just the simple broken plastic arm cuff! I'm sure that he'd probably do that again this time as well, but I really don't see the need for that. I'll settle for just another arm cuff, though I'm thinking of fabricating my own instead, perhaps out of some aluminum or maybe SPRING STEEL!?!? Maybe that way it won't break on me in the middle of a hunt. I had a clever idea today though after my plastic one broke. I noticed that the bottom of the cuff was cupped, somewhat, forming "legs" to set the detector down on when you go to dig a hole or whatever. I loosened and removed the one screw connecting the cuff to the shaft and rotated it 180 degrees so that he "legs" were now pointing up, making a rather shortened "cuff" . Hey! It worked and I was able to keep detecting and finish up the playground.
Necessity! The "mother" of invention. Improvisation! The bastard child of necessity and desperation.

<big grin>

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Glad you got to go detecting today! It was pretty in KY, although a little on the cold side!

Nobody detecting those schools....you'll rake up!

Cavers5

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Interesting to say the least! Happy Patties Day to you too.

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
Happy Patties' Day and thank you for sharing, those are some good finds. Looks like you are going to have yourself a real good time MDin' the other spots. HH :thumbsup:

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good job, with the new site. And good for you, for your resourcefulness about that arm cuff thing. What a bother!

Love the pics, love your posts. Keep it up.

HH
Nan

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going Frodov, looks like you had fun despite the minor setback!

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread