Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: FIND OF MY LIFETIME!!! Are you ready for this??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Stand Firm in the Faith, Wherever I May Roam- Nothing Else Matters

Jan 2006
    Cape Cod
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
    1131 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

FIND OF MY LIFETIME!!! Are you ready for this??

Hi All!

Obviously, gotta tell the story first- I actually found this Saturday March 15, but have been shaking too much to type!

I started working with a new guy at my job two weeks ago. As we got to know each other, I told him about my hobby and asked him where he lived and he told me a pretty old nearby town. I asked if he knew of any old parks, etc. to hunt and he told me that his house was built in the 1700's, so of course I asked him if my hunting partner Mike and I could hunt it.

He agreed, and we decided to sell and split if we found anything significant. We planned on hunting this past Saturday, but of course it had to rain, like it does every Saturday (which is my only full day off of the week!), but since it was clearing up about noon-ish, we headed up.

BTW, I Google-earthed his house and it looked huge, and it appeared to have a large front yard bisected by a circular drive. We were both pretty psyched.

When we got there, we saw the front yard was much smaller than it appeared on Google. The back of the house was huge, but overgrown with pretty high grass, small trees and so on- not easily huntable.

I decided to do that front section and gridded it up and down. First few passes yielded 2 wheats, 2 Indians and an assortment of old junk. I was pretty much done with the yard when I got a signal that sounded silverish, and although it didn't repeat perfectly, sounded definitely good enough to dig. I was down about 8-10 inches when my next handful of dirt told me I had the coin. I checked the hole, nothing else, so in my bucket went the dirt. Mike was with me at this point and he sifted through the dirt- VOILA!

As soon as he lifted it, I swear I saw 1652. I thought- SHILLING. But as he turned it over a couple of times, it looked like a Spanish coin. I took it over to a nearby puddle, rinsed the dirt off and sure as s#$%, there was a Pine Tree staring at me. PINE TREE SHILLING!!!

I still can't believe it to this very second- it's in amazing shape and I'm sending it out to PCGS to be certified, then we're doing as I promised- selling and splitting.

The third pic is of the coin in a holder in my hand- just to prove (to myself!!) this actually happened.

If I never find another coin....................

HH all,

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1652shilling 001c.jpg 
Views:	9274 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	190881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1652shilling 004c.jpg 
Views:	9239 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	190882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1652shillingc.jpg 
Views:	9228 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	190883  
    BigWaveDave and alb1 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    6135 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: FIND OF MY LIFETIME!!! Are you ready for this??

Sweet!
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

WELL DONE
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    "Power attracts the worst and corrupts the best"- Edward Abbey
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    158 times

If you never find another coin in your lifetime.... it wont matter!..... You hit the jackpot....congratulations!
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    Aug 2005
    Lunenburg,Ma
    Ace 250, X-terra 70, sandshark pi, vibraprobe 560 and 580

Sweet, Sweet Finds. Way too go. need to post this on the Mass site.

Rebelinmass

CONGRATULATIONS JEFF!!!!!!!!!!! It looks to be in great shape and that is the dream find for anyone living in the New England area. Glad to see another one showing up........

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Let's go dig some history!

Jan 2007
    TEXAS
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
    76 times

Amazing! That my friend is a find of a lifetime!!
    WTG!
    Baggins

us
    Apr 2007
    Southwestern, MN
    Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon
    1 times

WOW!!!!

Jun 2006
    Southeastern PA
    Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
    73 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Absolutely fantastic find. Congratulations.
    Bob

Yep...you hit it big time! Many CONGRATS!!!!
    If the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor!

us
    Dec 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    F75LTD / Tejon
    1 times

Very nice find Jeff. That should bring some nice $$$ after you get it certified. Congrats.

us
    Apr 2007
    Southern CA
    Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
    2 times

Wow, what an awesome find, Jeff!! I can just imagine how excited you must feel.

You're going to sell it? I don't know if I could sell a precious coin like that. Could be thousands of dollars there!!

Major congrats to you! This is a "BANNER FIND"!!!

Here's some history about the actual minting of the Pine Tree Shilling:

As early as 1650, the colony of Massachusetts Bay was a commercial success. But an inadequate supply of money put its future development in jeopardy. England was not inclined to send gold and silver coins to the colonies, for they were in short supply in the mother country.

Taking matters into their own hands, Boston authorities allowed two settlers, John Hull and Robert Sanderson, to set up a mint in the capital in 1652. The two were soon striking silver coinage-shillings, sixpences, and threepences. Nearly all of the new coins bore the same date: 1652.

This was the origin of America's most famous colonial coin, the pine tree shilling. The name comes from the tree found on the obverse. It may symbolize one of the Bay Colony's prime exports, pine trees for ships' masts. Massachusetts coinage not only circulated within that colony, but was generally accepted throughout the Northeast, becoming a monetary standard in its own right.

Why the 1652 date? Some believe that it was intended to commemorate the founding of the Massachusetts mint, which did occur in 1652. Others believe the choice was a reflection of larger political events. Coinage was a prerogative of the King. In theory, these colonists had no right to strike their own coins, no matter how great their need.

But in 1652, there was no king. King Charles had been beheaded three years previously, and England was a republic. The people in Massachusetts may have cleverly decided to put that date on their coinage so that they could deny any illegality when and if the monarchy were reestablished.

The mint’s first silver shillings bore simply the letters NE (for New England) on the obverse and the values XII (12 in Roman numerals), VI (6) or III (3) on the reverse. Easily counterfeited or clipped, these coins were quickly replaced by ones featuring a tree on their obverse. Three styles of trees were used over the thirty years of production: a willow (1652-60), an oak (1660-67) and, most familiar of all, a pine (1667-82).

HH,
    CAPTN SE
    Dan

us
    May 2006
    The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
    White's DFX
    26 times
    Banner Finds (1)

yes, wild, wild, wild!!........................congratulations Jeff!!!!!!

I'm in Mass. but still snow here

HH all!

Greg

Jan 2008
    Virginia
    DFX
    1 times

I love to read when someone hits it Big...

Mar 2003
    106 times

Wow, what a great find! Congratulations on an exciting recovery.

Some advice regarding submission to PCGS.... if they return it to you uncertified in a flip marked "environmental damage," then try NCS as a second choice for certification. PCGS is hit or miss with the early coins if they have been in the ground. Sometimes they will slab an early colonial piece with a little bit of corrosion or pitting, and sometimes they will not. NCS is the service used by Heritage and other major auction houses for colonial coins if they have some surface problems from burial.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links