My Explorer SE debut - First 8 Hours of finds - Im impressed

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Hi all,

I recently joined the darkside as well, and decided to give the SE a go, and see if I
liked it or not. Yesterday was the first actual hunting Ive ever done with it.

I had the yard of a family member lined up, so I went to town in 30 degrees, wind, and
a little snow :o Finished the yard today in 2 seperate sessions, adding up to 8 hours on
the nose over 2 days. I think I went from newb to respectable in record time.

Heres the take :
SE1.jpg

SE2.jpg

SE3.jpg

20 Wheats, 2 Indians, 1 Buffalo nickel , Lots of Memorials and some clad. Handful of trinkets.
If this is just the beginning, then :thumbsup:

This all came from 1 front yard, that is only 30' x 30' square. Took a while, but this SE can strip mine an entire area, and I basically did. Took longer than I was used to, but got results, which is all I want to see.

Puzzled by no silver here, but I have 100 more yards just like this, many on this same street side by side that I can explore over many years. Hope I can hit a few silver mines along the way.

Thanks goes out to CaptnSE for getting me off on the right foot with settings. Much thanks to GoldenRoyBoy for the great equipment and machine , along with much help in settings as well, and newb questions I had.

I think Im ready for a great summer. Thanks all and have fun swingin'.
Now Im off to watch CaptnSE's videos, to learn a thing or two! :icon_study:

BTW, I did the "boiling Peroxide" treatment on the Buffalo and 2 Indians, and gave a slight
treatment of RemOil (my gun stuff), for looks and preserving. By far the nicest 2 Indians I ever
dug, condition wise !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Forgot to mention, previously I used a DFX. I think the transition was a bit easier, as
I was used to listening to "alot" of sounds. This was using the SE in All Metal, Ferrous,
in the Mother of all Iron infestation type ground. 20 nails per sweep, entire yard. Not kidding.

Gonna be hard to sleep tonight. I still hear the Iron rumbles in my brain.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Jay, you did very respectable for you first hunt with your SE. Glad I could be of help to you!
I'm really surprised you didn't find a silver. Don't worry. With finds like the one's you just posted, silver is in your near future.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks Captn, I was surprised as well on no silvers. Alot of those Wheats were early too. A bunch
of 'Teens and 20's in there. It'll come no doubt, theres always next time :tongue3:

Youll know it when I dig some... Pictures will be a flyin'. haha.

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - What a great first day out with a new detector - my first got three cents :D

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great finds there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: guzz1

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
maybe a few of those silvers are masked by the iron signals. some might say to dig all signals but in most instances it just isnt practical. still, it looks like you and that SE are getting along just fine. nice stuff!

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for the nice words.

Hollowpointred, you're probably right, Im sure there are targets masked there. I did discover that all this
Iron was deep, in the 7-8" and deeper range. All of these coins were above that, or down to that.

I did like the fact that I could still hear coins, within the jumbled mess. Almost all my digs for coins had decomposed iron bits of red somewhere in the plug. Ill double check it in the future with a smaller coil Im sure, just to see.

It does seem that I picked up on the machine characteristics pretty fast, but I dont believe it is as hard
a machine to learn, as I initially thought from reading forums and message boards. Im sure I will learn
much more, but it wasn't a struggle at all to get coins out of the ground. Cant wait for the next hunt !

Good luck all, Happy swingin'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread