Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
IH, Barber, Merc, & more...

Hello all,,,
I hope you all had a good Saint Patric's Day...
Got out Sunday with Gary for the longest hunt of the year thus far. (about 4 hours worth) Run into a sweet spot at one of our local parks and started out by finding (3) deep Wheat cents. They were all at, or near, a depth of 8" down and was giving the Cz a very iffy signal, so I slowed down my hunting and covered the area pretty hard. Slowing down really paid off as the next deep signal turned out to be an 1895 IH. It was also giving off an iffy signal, Sometimes reading as a high-tone, but most of the time simply reading as iron, but it was pinpointing on a very tiny spot. The 1902 Barber rang in good and I thought it was silver when I heard it. The 1937 Merc hit about the same as the Wheats, and the IH, but it ended up being the deepest recovery of the day at a depth of close to 9" down.
Wheats.jpg 1895BSP.jpg
1902BSP.jpg 1937BSP.jpg

Also found $1.25 in clad which brings my total clad count for the year up to $14.49.
Hope you've all had the luck of the Irish with ya this past weekend.
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Re: IH, Barber, Merc, & more...

Nice day Leon you sure know how to work those parks,I never find anything when I hunt the old parks. I got out for the first decent hunt on sunday too with one of my tin boys and my neighbor and hunting buddy Kent. I tend to go to the bad neighborhoods and dig through all the busted wine bottles and bottle caps,maybe we can get out this year sometime? Me and Kent hunt quite a bit going to try and get out this weekend if you are interested shoot me a PM,ive still got your cell number too HH...Shoot

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds Leon ... IHs, Barbers, & Mercs make for an awesome day ... congratz ~ Jimmy

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

Nice "stuff" Leon. I have been using a CZ6 for umpteen years. (I got one of the first 12 proto-types). Those iffffy signals are the ones you need to listed for. Hunting in a slow mode really helps. The reason for the iron signals around the high tone is that the halo around the coin is of a much lower conductivity than the coin. The halo aids in detection because it gives a broader targer. I listen for those "flat - round" low tones and recheck really slow. A lot of the time they will come back a high tone. Keep on diggin.

"May there always be a road"

Les

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love that silver, awsome finds.... 8)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Leon,

nice group of finds.
Sounds like your experience paid off;
knowing what you are doing and knowing
your machine.

Silver is always nice :wink:

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice bunch of coins, anyday you can find IH's, Barbers, Mercs and more is a good day in
my book.

I always dig those iffy signals, even with my ACE 250, those iffy signals sometimes turn out
to be some of my better finds.

Congrats and HH, Ringfinder

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Great day for you!

And that Barber dime is in sweet shape.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Sweet digs for the day!! Maybe on a moist day you will get that deep iffy seated signal. 8)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leon,
Some very nice finds. Way to go. That Merc looks to have a lot of nice detail to it. Great looking coin.
-MM-

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leon ,you rock buddy! That barber is nice!!

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Thanks all...

shootist said:
Nice day Leon you sure know how to work those parks,I never find anything when I hunt the old parks. I got out for the first decent hunt on sunday too with one of my tin boys and my neighbor and hunting buddy Kent. I tend to go to the bad neighborhoods and dig through all the busted wine bottles and bottle caps,maybe we can get out this year sometime? Me and Kent hunt quite a bit going to try and get out this weekend if you are interested shoot me a PM,ive still got your cell number too HH...Shoot
Sounds good Shootist,,, I see I've already missed last weekend. It's spring time so, I'm getting busy again... I haven't had the chance to get back out since this hunt, but I'm definitely going to make it a point to get out on some Saturdays, and definitely some Sundays... And yep,,, I know exactly what ya mean by all the wine caps. Some of those park in them ruff'er neighborhoods sure are full of em...

diggerfororo said:
Nice "stuff" Leon. I have been using a CZ6 for umpteen years. (I got one of the first 12 proto-types). Those iffffy signals are the ones you need to listed for. Hunting in a slow mode really helps. The reason for the iron signals around the high tone is that the halo around the coin is of a much lower conductivity than the coin. The halo aids in detection because it gives a broader targer. I listen for those "flat - round" low tones and recheck really slow. A lot of the time they will come back a high tone. Keep on diggin.

"May there always be a road"

Les
Thanks for the info Les,,,
Never thought about the halo causing the low tones, I always figured the target was simply too deep for the detector to make a propper "ID".

Sorry guys, I don't have much time today either so, I'll simply wish you all Good luck, & Happy hunting~
Leon

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Those are some nice looking finds Leon

HH Jer

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Very nice Barber and Merc, Leon. Keep up the good work. HH
Bob

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leon! :o Awesome hunt! That Barber sure is purdy!

Congrats! Nana :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sweet job Leon....I wish I could find them like that but I can't stay out of the battlefield's.One big "great" addiction.HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions