Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Another chance at my landfill site [I REALLY like that place].

Thursday hunt at my landfill site was very pleasant and relaxing. I found two wheats (1953D and unknown), a nickel (1941)and a quarter sized token. The token has George Washington on the face and lots of writing on the reverse. Unfortunately it is very crudded up and I've been cleaning it these past days.

BUT then I got a nice signal...which is not too unusual because all the copper washers sound just BEAUTIFUL. This came out green and cruddy and looked like a typical plumbing part. I poke the center and it came out! I rubbed a bit and more crud came off. I turned it around and around and it started to look more and more like a RING...with a piece missing. The missing piece was not recently broken off. Looking carefully I could just about make out the depiction of a horse head on the face of the ring.

I put the ring away and three feet away... another nice signal. It was a small curving piece of metal. Could it be? I took out the "ring" and the small piece matched exactly the missing section. WoooHooo!! It appears the piece broke when the fill was moved in.

I used the aluminum foil with vinegar and salt to clean the ring...with a lot of baking soda rub afterwards. The ring has a "Made in Mexico" stamp inside and with what appears to be 9255 in the tiniest of numbers stamped on the side rim. The copper appears to be deposited from the way I cleaned the ring and it comes off with polishing.

HH Joe

Attachments

• Horse ring f sm.jpg
    Horse ring f sm.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 628
  • Horse ring Orig Side both sm.jpg
    Horse ring Orig Side both sm.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 634
Upvote 0

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring Doc and the aluminum foil to clean it really worked.

Congrats

SKD
WeDigOhio

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Fantastic transformation, Joe! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum
nice find and it really ceaned up well do u have a link or some instructions to the foil method thanks :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The FOIL method ...I was told about and I forget who goes like this:

I make about a 4 layer piece of folded aluminum foil and shape it into a cup. I place the coin or item into cup and cover with vinegar and sprinkle salt in there. Generally watch for the first few minutes and check often. The part will have black silver oxide crud and will need to be washed off and rubbed gently with baking soda. I repeated this about 5 times due to the heavy corrosion.... total immersed time maybe about 4 hours.

I believe you get some pitting and material loss and I would not recommend doing this except in special cases where it's non valuables. I've done it on really badly corroded dimes and a broach (from the same place). Here's a photo of the result:

HH Joe

Attachments

• dime sm.jpg
    dime sm.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 501
  • broach1 sm.jpg
    broach1 sm.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 493

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Neat Find. Make sure you wear it upside down so the good luck don't run out of it.

HH

- joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread