First Good Oldie with my Explorer is My Oldest Coin to Date-Barber Dime

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
To All,
After a quick refresher course on the tones of silver courtesy Capn_SE's recent video, I headed to the local park this morning just before the sun came up. I was only out for a short time. My goal was at least one oldie. I ignored most signals and focused in on good, deep sounds. There weren't many decent signals. I only managed 2 coins. One of them, however, was my first Barber dime - a 1912-S in G-4 condition. I found it in a local park where, according to old maps, a structure once stood. I think it may have been a house prior to the land becoming a park. The park was built in the mid 1910's. I was quite shocked to see this coin in my hand after digging down about 6 inches.
I have a feeling there are a number of other good coins in this small area but they are hard to hear because it is a lover's lane at night and lots of beer bottle caps and other metal trash mask the top layer. I did find some old wheats and early Jefferson nickels in this spot with my Ace 250 about a year ago.
Somehow I have managed 3 mercury dimes, 1 walking liberty half dollar and this Barber in my detecting career without finding a silver Roosevelt dime. I guess that's OK.
It was a fun, short hunt.
Happy Easter.
Turtleman

Attachments

• Front 1912-S Barber Dime Mar. 22, 2008.jpg
    Front 1912-S Barber Dime Mar. 22, 2008.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 553
  • Back 1912-S Barber Dime Mar. 22, 2008.jpg
    Back 1912-S Barber Dime Mar. 22, 2008.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 559
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: First Good Oldie with my Explorer is My Oldest Coin to Date

That Barber is a super find, congratulations :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice coin !! Nice PIC!!

MT

Feb 28, 2008
Montara, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac with all the goodies.

Outstanding Find! The Explorer is killer on those babies. Many more will come to you :thumbsup:
HH,
MT
Tom

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Wow, Daryl, major congrats to you on finding your Barber Dime!!! :wav:

I'd say that's a great first silver with your Explorer. Many more to come. Give me a ring if you want to go out next week.

Way to go, Buddy!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Nice Barber dime! That seems to happen to me to, finding more older stuff than newer stuff. I've found WAY more Mercs and Barber dimes than silver Rosies. I'm not complaining though!
Congrats! Here's to many more more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions