Macabre Death, Dismemberment, and An Easter Miracle

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
I knew when I woke up this morning that it was going to be a STRANGE day with a capital S. Here in Kentucky, on Easter Sunday (yesterday) the temperatures were in the cool 50's (Fahrenheit), sunny and seasonable for springtime. The daffodils and crocuses are blooming, the birds are singing and beginning to nest in some cases, just an all around beautiful Spring day. Not this morning though. At 6:00 AM this morning, the day after Easter, there was SNOW on the ground!!!!???!!! And what's more, it was SNOWING!
Ok, so the snow on the ground didn't amount to much more than a light dusting and the snow that was falling was barely a flurry, but STILL! Cloudy, cold, windy and snow. Brrrrr. I had thought I might go metal detecting today and I wake up to this nonsense! So, I made breakfast instead. Bacon, Eggs-in-toast.. on cheese.. My wife was thrilled. <smile> Yeah.. made some Brownie points this morning. After breakfast I settled in my recliner to read the daily rag (newspaper) and salve my desire to go detecting.
After reading the paper and flipping through the tv cable channels for the third time I decided that it wasn't wet outside so I could handle a little nip in the air and by golly I was going to go detecting anyway. Surprisingly enough, my wife decided to join me. <look of shock> Uhhhhh.. Okayyyy. Before she could change her mind I had my detector loaded into the car and we were on our way. I headed downtown, here in Lexington Kentucky, where the city is tearing down a playground due to problems with drugs, alcohol and sex... seems all of those things in one form or any number of combinations have been going on in this Imagine'ered Playground for the last few years and not enough upkeep has been done due to budget restraints.. so they decided to raze it and put up something less challenging maintenance wise and less inviting for the less desirable activities that plagued this one. Long story short, the playground is 14 years old and I seriously doubt anyone has detected there, at least not in the past few years... $$$$$ Hey.. could be a gold mine for a coin fisher like me.
Not... *sigh* Seems that while yes the city is tearing it down to make way for a new playground, this lot is a LONG way from being able to detect yet, they were still moving out the torn down pieces of the wooden playground structures and it didn't look like they were in a hurry to get it done. Besides being cold and snowing and.. well.. I've already covered that. Dang it! So it was back to the house for me and my wife.
Actually, we stopped at the grocery store for a few items on the way.. and got a bargain on some Easter candy marked down, drastically! Less than half price from just yesterday. Well we got a little, but didn't go overboard.. that would have been TOO easy. <grin> We did stop at one of our favorite eateries and have lunch before returning home though, so the outing wasn't a complete loss.
After getting home though I just couldn't get settled in. I still had an itch to get out and swing the detector. I was JONESING MAN!!!! I needed a fix... BAD!!! After my wife got a call from her "boss" at the Volunteer organization she works for, I decided that I was going to go back out and try my luck again, somewhere else. Dang it!
I've been detecting a lot of Tot-Lots and Playgrounds over the winter, and have compiled quite a list of places that I've hunted, and more importantly, a list of places I'd like to hunt eventually. Well "eventually" arrived for one of them today. Actually, I had to mark two of my listed places off the list today but I got to hunt the third one. The two I had to nix were parks inside what turned out to be a gated community, private property.. *sigh* I wish I had known that when I was making that list. Oh well. On to the third site on my list, it was an Elementary School playground in the heart of my State Capital city Frankfort KY. Even thought it's only a couple of miles from the State Capital house and all the legislators etc etc, this school is not the newest or situated in the best of neighborhoods. But, school was out for the day and it was chilly enough to keep most from wanting to hang out in the playground. So, I had the place to myself.. well myself and a city maintenance worker who was diligently touching up some cement and concrete work on a walkway.
Had my luck actually changed? I thought it had, finding some clad nearly as soon as I turned on my detector just a couple of feet from my parking space. Pennies, but still, they were finds! And more, and More.. eventually some dimes, a quarter.. of course there was junk too. pull tabs and what not. Then things took a decidedly downward turn for the worse. I came across this poor little mouse.. decapitated. *sigh* and it was sooooo cute. Who could have done such a thing.

mouse.jpg

Then there was the skull.. and more bones.. *gulp*

Skull&Bones.jpg

I was beginning to think it was time to move on, if you know what I mean. Who could have been doing all this? But then I discovered the culprit.. possibly.. I mean, maybe.. Who is usually the first suspect in the death of a mouse? Could it be this little felon..er.. feline?

Kitty.jpg

I'm thinking it was, because not far from where I found him(her?) I found the missing head of the mouse. I think his name was Chuck.

Chuck.jpg

This homicide..er.. mouse'icide.. might have been politically motivated though. A conspiracy! A "coup de'tat. Chuck must have been royalty or something, he may have lost his head as well as his crown..

Copy of 3-24-08 014.jpg

... that or someone was just monkey'ing around with me and pulling my chain..

monkey.jpg

It was probably the same person or people who kept hiding pull tabs and other crap to keep me busy with my detector. Maybe.... but then I found what might be part of the murder weapon..

magazine.jpg

<laughing> Looks like an expensive BB-gun magazine. Part of the "smoking gun" perhaps? <grin>

Just when I thought that all was lost however, I found redemption, rebirth, Resurrection.. of sorts.. I Found JESUS! In the Grade School Playground amidst all the dismembered bodies, and bones and woodchips..

HeySOOS.jpg

.. and lots more clad! Well I didn't strike it rich, monetarily, but I hadn't really expected to in the first place. I *DID* have a great time getting out and detecting, regardless of the fickle weather conditions. I didn't even find enough clad to cover my gas driving from my home (city) to this town to detect here, not to mention the drive back. Oh it's not that terribly far to drive, but still at over $3.00 a gallon for gas ANYWHERE is getting to be expensive. Regardless, I had a good time, I found some neat little items and certainly story worthy material to share with my wife and all of you sorts who bother to read this drivel. I got a neat pen out of it, and one little earring.. don't even think it's silver, the stones are either rhinestones or paste.. possibly CZ but that's probably pushing it too. <grin> Here's the whole lot, all the main characters included.

3-24-08 011.jpg

I hope you all get to get out soon and enjoy this hobby yourselves. Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL!

That's the one, your honor.

Those cold, dead, lifeless eyes. Like a shark. Shudder. Expressionless, devoid of emosion or compassion.

6809545_sb.jpg

Findone

Jan 20, 2006
COPE SOUTH CAROLINA
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT and Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck sure gets around, you see him every where.
I even found him in my yard in NH.
Nice finds. :thumbsup:

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
A always FRODOV your stories are the greatest part of the post!! Not to say that your finds aren't cool as they mostly are but your stories are great and worthy of reading.

Dave

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Love the story...I will buy the book! :wink: Glad to see you got to get out and search a bit and you obviously found some cool stuff as well! Thanks oh so very much for sharing your finds and your great story!

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool story Frodov.

By the way....The black long thingy with the spring in it looks like a capper for percussion caps for a muzzle-loader. I have a couple very similar ones at home.

SgtSki

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
Always alot of fun to read your stories and good job getting there on the hunt and caputring chucks killer :icon_king:

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way you tell a story...Makes me want to read it. Thought about writing a book? You should...

I was totally captivated by your every word...Nice Digs, you got gas covered. HH

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Charlie P. (NY) said:
LOL!

That's the one, your honor.

Those cold, dead, lifeless eyes. Like a shark. Shudder. Expressionless, devoid of emosion or compassion.

6809545_sb.jpg

They are especially cold and lifeless when they are made of some cheap metal and have been buried in the woodchips for who knows how long.. Helllloooo Kitty!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Findone said:
Chuck sure gets around, you see him every where.
I even found him in my yard in NH.
Nice finds. :thumbsup:

Who knew? I didn't think that Chuck E Cheeses was all that popular, but simply from finding so many of these tokens I gotta rethink that idea. I've found them all over this area of the country, (central Kentucky) and even in other states (North Carolina, Myrtle Beach). I'm going to have to start a display case just for chucks.. <grin>

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
SgtSki in MI said:
Cool story Frodov.

By the way....The black long thingy with the spring in it looks like a capper for percussion caps for a muzzle-loader. I have a couple very similar ones at home.

SgtSki
Curiouser and curiouser... never would have thought about that magazine being for percussion caps.. Muzzle Loader rifle? Hmmmmm.. Some kid must have "borrowed" it from dad's closet or the gun cabinet. Let's hope it's the ONLY thing he brought to school from the gun cabinet!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
The Headless Mouse was not a surface find.. it was buried beneath the woodchips.. perhaps to hide the evidence. Although it is plastic, I *DID* detect it.. there's a small magnet of some sort in the base of the mouse that had my detector twitching like it was a much bigger piece of metal or a coin. Boy.. the things you find while detecting.

Frodov

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions