Scary, Disturbing Find At An Old Medical Facility An Old Needle Yuck!

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
Hello all, I found this hypodermic needle about 5 inches down at an old medical building still in business today. I was wondering if I might find a needle by accident after I got permission and went there. Luckily, I don't think the needle broke the skin when I found it (I don't wear gloves). I do not think that there would be any germs left on it anyways, as this needle I am assuming is probably at least 40 years old. Kinda had me freaked out, and needless to say I did not stay to long after finding it. I was hoping to find some old coins, due to the history of the place, but all I found was .84 cents in clad. I am still waiting to find a shield or v or buffalo nickel, and some IH pennies. I don't think the state I live in has an old enough history to find many old coins, but I am sure that there are a few out there, I did find a 43 merc awhile back. The lock was found at an old High School in a neighboring town, and does not have any manufacturing marks on it, this is the town that was settled by Germans in the late 1800's. I did find the rest of this stuff at the medical facility though. An old box car derby medal that cleaned up nicely, a whatsit, possibly the top of an old needle medicine bottle??, an old salt shaker top, and this cool Navy button. Does anyone have a book that says what this button might be worth??? I am not interested in selling it, but it is definately a cool find, and am wondering if it has any value. Anyways, I guess the Moral of the Story is to be cautious when hunting a place you suspect may have old medical waste somewhere in the ground, I should have worn gloves, and definately will in the future if I am going to hunt more places like this.

Happy Safe Hunting,
Loren Farrar
Founder of http://www.easystopgiftshop.com

Attachments

• HypodermicNeedle.jpg
    HypodermicNeedle.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 622
  • navybuttonandlock.jpg
    navybuttonandlock.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 0

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
If your tetanus is up to date you should be ok, you gotta be really careful out there,we find lots of needles and pins in play areas, keep magnets attached to digging tools to minimize contact
congrats on nice variety of finds
hh
dave+bobbie

F

Floater

Luv that is scary. It looks like some prehistoric needle LOL watch out and stay away from there. HH

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats ......nice hunting,,,,,,,but BE CAREFULL,,,,and remember if you get hurt .....It IS your fault.......Be Safe and Happy Hunting

TOWcritter

Looks like the needle on the end of my meat injector! They weren't doing any grillin' and chillin' over there were they?!! Stay alert to that stuff. I wear gloves around the rough stuff. Keep the good finds coming.

OP
OP
luvmydfx

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
rck_1, now that you have said that, I believe the whatsit is off of an old army style canteen pouch. I remember seeing one of those on an old canteen pouch years ago. It says on it "lift the dot". I am sure that is what it is now that you have mentioned it. Thanks for the ID. Anyone got any ideas on the button??

P

PrizmIV

Ive had my share of needels also. All of my are recent, and are for drugs lol.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT COOL, Your lucky it did not pierce the skin! The problem is what is inside the needle that still that has not been exposed to air. I would not even think to search that site. I don't care if a gold coin is hidden in that ground. I would not search it! Just like I would not search the area drug hang outs. The last thing I think any of us wants to end up with is HIV and AIDS from a hunt that should be fun and carefree. Oh, you should throw away the one you have in a plastic bag! DO NOT KEEP IT!!

Sorry but its the truth!

HH!!

Attachments

• Trash.jpg
    Trash.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 353
  • Trash.jpg
    Trash.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 349

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Luvmydfx,
I don't blame you for being a little concerned when you found the needle. You have some neat finds there. The medal with the car on it appears to be a Cub Scout, Pinewood Derby medal. Most Cub Scout packs have a Pinewood Derby race each year to see who has the fastest car. The boys whittle the cars out of a block of wood, paint them and then they all get together and race them on a special inclined track. This may be more informatiion than you wanted, but that is what it appears to be.
BRD

OP
OP
luvmydfx

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005
BRD, that is some good information. Not more than I needed to know by the way, more information is always good. I figured the medal was for a derby race, but did not know it was for a boy scouts race. Thanks for the information. The medal does say pinewood derby on it also! I couldn't quite make out what it said, but that is what it says.

Thanks, and HH,
Loren Farrar

P

PrizmIV

When I was in 1st grade as a school project I joined the cub scouts for a year. I actually won some categorie. Here is a picture of the ribbon i won. There was also a necklace but i lost it. Thats where the medal came from. I dont remember which one because that was like 7-8 years ago.

Attachments

• cub.jpg
    cub.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 308

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
Sorry don't think i woudl hunt outside an hostiptal for money, but cool finds anyway, glad u did;t get stabbed by that needle! HH CS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread