Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found 1 & 1/4 Large Cents today

We decided to hit an old park today. we kinda knew it was hunted out, since we spent a whole day there last year and only found a few wheats. Low and behold, first hit @ 7-8 inches was this 1/4 pie large cent piece. didnt know what it was till i cleaned it up at home, then bam! a 42 merc, then 5 mins later Mudswat zeros in on a 50s rosie, we give eachother a thumbs up and keep on hunting. a few wheats and some clad later I get a nice quarter half signal at 4" down. Bam!! 2nd Large cent this month. An 1847 in very nice condition...strange..since the 1970s
quarter i pulled out a few moments back looked like it was warn down to nothing. well needless to say we had a good day. enjoy the pics.
Pro-

Attachments

• Picture 40x40.JPG
    Picture 40x40.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 691
  • Picture 40-40.JPG
    Picture 40-40.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 690
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: found 1 & 1/4 Large Cents today

Yea that was a good hunt. We will be back at it soon. Awesome job on the large cents Pro.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm still waiting for my Large Cent to find me.... :laughing9: cool find...GH

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting, wonder why they cut it? Congrats!

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex

I lived in the Ithaca area for 5 years and only dug three large cents the whole time I was there, so these are a good find in that area. Mine were dated 1827, 1837, and 1847. Seems like they all end in "7", including yours!

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs! I'm North of you guys, near Lake Ontario... the few LC's I've come up with have been on old farms and in the corn fields.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

P

Pentico

Woo hoo congrads one the 1 & 1/4 Large Cents today!
Mine is still out there waiting on me to find it.
Chris & LeeAnn

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That counts for two large coppers in my book. Nice finds. That 1847 looks to be in pretty good condition overall.

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Digs...Congrats on the LG CENT(s)...I sure we know bout pieces of eight, I thought was Silver only. That piece of Lg Cent you found must have been treated the same way...as a Reale perhaps

HH

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah we`re gonna hit that park again hard! I still have 3 quarters of a large cent to find. I found the barrel to a snall toy gun, then found part of the handle to the same gun about 20 yards away ???
It was a good hunt and we had alot of fun, some wheats, some silver, some Coppa, and some relics....Im thinking someone cut it just to test out a new pair of plyers or something...who knows.
cant wait to find the other 3 though.
HH
Pro-

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on getting two Large Cents, your 1/4 piece is only the second one I have seen. I found one just a couple years ago, I was lucky enough to not only figure out the year but also the variety of mine. Maybe not with 100% certainty but 99% certainty of the date and variety!
Heck of a way to make change but I assume that is why it was cut into 1/4ths....

My 1803 1/4 Large Cent was found at a long forgotten cellarhole and it produced a wide variety of coin finds. 1720 King George I Farthing, Two 1805 King George III Irish HalfPenny, 1808 Classic Head Large Cent, and on the dirt road in front of it a 1920 Mercury Dime. :) (200 year spread of time)

Don

Attachments

• 1803 S-253reduced.jpg
    1803 S-253reduced.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 313

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum

Boy now that is a great find, I have been detecting Michigan for 30 years and have never found or heard of any one finding a large cent here. I wish i would find one because all the indians I find are in good shape. i have found over 100 indians and most of then are green but are in great shape. Well I hope you find more, keep us posted on all the finds we love seeing the pics.

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for the pat on the back, yes I cant wait to get back out there. We did have some nice weather for a while, too bad we just got dumped on with 5 inches of snow. The ground was just starting to soften up too, we had a good 3-4 weeks of no snow and I was able to get out and find 2 & 1/4 large cents with in 2 weeks. Im really pumped!...now that I know theres most likely more out there to find. Im sure you guys will be posting pics of yours soon, so get out there and start swinging those coils, Good luck to everyone and thanks a bunch.
Keep@it
Pro-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread