Quick Hunt 2- A large cent and a truly breathtaking find!

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Happy Saturday everyone! I decided to do some more hunting where I found the seated dime , shield nickel, and Indian head cent. I spotted a natural path and started hunting it. I started off a little rough, finding a bunch of canslaw, foil, a 78 memorial cent, and a half eaten zincoln. YUM ! However, after a while, my luck took a turn for the better. I got a solid 86-quarter signal on the dfx at 3.5". I was hoping for a nice barber or seated quarter and got...
Picture 116.jpg Picture 117.jpg
an 1846 large cent with a nice, readable date. Kinda hoping for some silver, but a large cent is also really sweet. I guess this spot was older than I thought. I wandered around, digging up canslaw and nails and pulltabs and a few pieces of lead. Then I got another 86 quarter signal, just like the first. It sounded rather large for a coin, and I pushed the leaves away and breathed a sigh of relief. The signal was not getting any shallower than 3.5". It could be another large cent. I pinpointed and carefully dug around the target. I pulled out a few sharp pieces of pottery, which put a small hairline scratch on what I was about to dig. I pulled out a large cent sized coin that was almost completely covered in dirt. I did not scan a pic of the dirty coin, but thanks to the magic of a scanner and MS Paint, I'll show you the part I could read
Picture 118.jpg 06 Draped Bust.JPG
It looked like a draped bust large cent, 1806. I figured I was done with the hunt for now, so I headed back to my dorm to gently rinse off my finds. That was the moment I truly discovered what I found
Picture 115.jpg Picture 114.jpg
Eagles don't roost on large cents. They're on silver. The 1806 was actually a draped bust quarter! I haven't found a silver Q in 08 yet and the oldest quarter I have ever found was 1892. I flew right over seated and capped and went right to draped bust. I now had a wide mouthed smile and was so happy I was speechless. Even finding a 1.5 oz 14k gold bracelet last October wasn't as amazing as this. It's almost surreal. It's the best coin I have ever found!

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
very very nice! in 1806 a quarter was a lot of money! someone wasnt happy to have lost that one!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNREAL!!!!!!!!!! one of my dream finds. :headbang:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Heck yeah. I agree. Awesome finds. That silver is freaking sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Banner for sure! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :headbang: :hello2:

:director: <------ Thats me with a megaphone calling for this coin to be on the banner. Congratulations!!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

:o Awesome finds, fantastic WTG :thumbsup: Great job SMS88! What a great hunt.
Glenn

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Just awesome finds!!!You are not going to want to come back to LI after you graduate, after all the super finds up there.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how you feel about cleaning coins but that large cent looks like it might clean up pretty nicely with a hot peroxide bath. I say "might" because you never know how truly corroded a copper coin can be. The nice look of the surface of that coin might be hiding some corrosion underneath. One time I put a large cent under some running water and the green patina flaked away leaving a corroded mess that I could barely get a date from.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow,

Congrats on the Quarter. That is a very rare find. That grey really does a number on some old silver. That one is in great shape to.

HH Jer

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
holy smokes !!!!!!! now that's a coin !!!! :o :o :o :o :o :) :) :) :) :)
congrads to you BIG time !!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, that is a truly remarkable coin find!! :wav:

Just a little over 200,000 minted over 200 years ago!

Yes, that is a BANNER FIND!!

That place of yours continues to excite and amaze us all!
Major congrats to you, SMS88 :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That quarter is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drool is about all I can do now....DANG, that's nice.

Congrats on both of those beautiful coins :thumbsup:

Danglangley

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds. Besides being a supurb find, the joy of finding it will stay with you for a long long time. I agree with the others, in that it is a BANNER find. WTG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread