Great Token - Possible Civil War 2 Cent Token?

JCinNJ

Jan 25, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Wow,

I am not a big token fan but this has me pumped. Was working the woods off a local park with my son when I got a hit about 4 inches down with a high quarter reading.

One side reads Pumplok on the top with a 2 in the middle and Pumplok again on the bottom.
The other side reads CHAS H. SIMERSON CO. on top, a 2 in the middle and W. Hoboken N.J. on the bottom.

This token is just about the size of a quarter at 24mm or 15/16ths of an inch. 2 cent pieces are approx. 23.5 mm!
I have never found a 2 cent piece and until now never heard of a 2 cent token. I do see there have been some Simerson 4 and 5 cent ones on EBay but haven't seen a 2 cent one, if that's what it is.

Well, maybe not. He has three patents from 1913 to 1925. Also found a N.Y. Times article where he was at a party with Gov. Teddy Roosevelt in 1900.

Had to leave early as I split my pants and I mean really split. It got a little chilly. My wife thought it was hilarious when I got home.

HH

- joe

Attachments

• token-rev.jpg
    token-rev.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 542
  • token-obv.jpg
    token-obv.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some sort of new jersey trade token, i think. pumplok means "pumping locomotive" in german. great find, but i don't know anything else.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find :)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions