Old Military Buckle Piece?

robberry

Feb 6, 2008
Central California, Now NW Florida!
Detector(s) used
EX2 with X-1 Sun Ray Probe
So I found the piece at the same location as the 1853 seated half-dime I found....a fellow MDer tells me its a piece to a two piece buckle.....not that I don't trust him....but I'll feel better with conformations from some others....seems kinda thin to me, but again I've never found an old buckle..lolz...thanks for looking and HH - Rob

Attachments

• 033108.jpg
    033108.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0

ark turtle

Nov 2, 2007
robberry said:
So I found the piece at the same location as the 1853 seated half-dime I found....a fellow MDer tells me its a piece to a two piece buckle.....not that I don't trust him....but I'll feel better with conformations from some others....seems kinda thin to me, but again I've never found an old buckle..lolz...thanks for looking and HH - Rob

Looks like it is broken, off.. It sure is a war between the states, southern buckle....

Good Job, maybe you can find more at the same place...

ark turtle

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find :)

HH

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
There is a similar buckle in the April 2008 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures annual best finds issue. In the ask Mark Parker section on page 12 it is identified by George Weller Juno [email protected] as " A c. 1850's early 60's privately purchased sash buckle. Although some of these lightweight, die-stamped, two-piece buckles bear makers marks, most were stock (generic) buckles which were commonly bought not only by militia units but various organizations and individual civilians. A complete and in good condition example would have a retail value of $400 or more"

Congratulations on a great find. What part of California did you find it in?

KG6YLL

Attachments

• stock photo.jpg
    stock photo.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 434

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread