Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today-UPDATE- Site Totals

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
- I was thinking about the site all night, and had to go back this morning. I took fellow t-netter Lostlake over to it. He found a silver quarter-1957. I scored some more wheats. This brought the total to 5 silver quarters found on the site. I am considering this yard "explored" and will not be returning for quite some time. I added pics of the house(if anyone recognizes it, please don't even try to enter the property. It has been searched, and the owners have given me exclusive permission). I pictured all the nice coins I found together. I find it very odd that I found a 1902 Barber Quarter and an 1802 Reale. The Indian is 1903. The tootsie toy is a 1939 Mercedes, and the shoe is a very cool old ashtray. The Met Hotel tag was made by the John Robbins Boston company that went out of business in 1885. The large piece I posted under "what is it" and got some interesting answers. Thanks again for sharing in my excitement of my Reale find. Original post below.

Not an April's Fool joke. I dug this coin today in the same yard I dug 3 silver quarters from last week. Next time I go over I will bring a camera to picture the house. It is about 1840. When I saw this coin in the mud, I thought it was a silver dime. Then I realized the size was off. It is closer to nickel in diameter, but thinner. When I flipped it over, I knew I had struck Spanish Silver in Cincinnati, Ohio!!!!! 1802, and I am pretty sure it is a 1 Reale. I would be interested in mintage/value/condition data if anyone wants to chime in. I really don't care about value, b/c mine is priceless. It is interesting to know.....
The true treasure hunter in me came out after finding the coin. There was another signal right next to the spot I dug the coin. It was lower on the spectrum, but at the same depth(coin was only about 4", but on a hill). Now I will have a few days to think about whether it is a gold coin, b/c I left immediately after finding this coin.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• metaldetecting412008b.jpg
    metaldetecting412008b.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 663
  • metaldetecting412008c.jpg
    metaldetecting412008c.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,026
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,398
  • metaldetecting412008a.jpg
    metaldetecting412008a.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,323
    33.6 KB · Views: 623
  • metaldetecting412008c.jpg
    metaldetecting412008c.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 738
  • metaldetecting422008a.jpg
    metaldetecting422008a.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 505
  • metaldetecting422008b.jpg
    metaldetecting422008b.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 540
  • metaldetecting422008c.jpg
    metaldetecting422008c.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulation's......Still Dreaming ::) Beautiful coin!!!!!

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50

:thumbsup: WOW :thumbsup: nice coin !!!!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

nice discovery , guess I should of been out hunting instead of being a :icon_jokercolor:

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

Thats a real bute!! :thumbsup:
I just found one of those myself, check the banner.
HH

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Great find! :occasion14: I can't wait to see what else you'll find there. Keep us posted.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California

WOWWWWWWWWW!

Jon, WHY on earth would you not dig that other signal????? I can not inderstand WHY you left, if there was still another signal in that hole. My god man,....GET BACK THERE!!!!

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks for all the great comments. I have already planned a trip back today with Lostlake. I'm sure that other signal is nothing, but wouldn't it be great if it was gold..... When I used to hunt for indian artifacts, I could leave a point in-situ for minutes just looking at it, and getting excited to pull it out of the ground. I guess that same mentality let me leave the other signal. For you Explorer users, I have to say it was pinned on the bottom of the screen, so I was thinking it was a nickel. For reference sake, the Reale was coming in from one angle like a silver dime, and another angle closer to a copper penny.
I kept thinking this yard would produce my first seated coin. I never even dreamed of an 1802 Reale. It is really crazy to think that Ohio wasn't even a state when the coin was minted. There have been plenty of them found around here, but I didn't expect to find one. What a great hobby(except for the addictive properties).
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really great find there. Congrats. Hope your luck continues on the next hunt.

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2

TreasureDiver, Jon's coin is a 1 Real, not an 8 Reale.

Very nice Real, Jon. It's in great shape!! Amazing what you can dig up in Ohio, huh? thumbsup

Now go back out there and dig up that low conductor...Maybe it's a gold Spanish Escudo.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dan (CAPTN SE),

Thanks for the correction. I know nothing about Spanish Reales. How can you tell the difference between the denominations?

Thanks
Frank (Treasure-Diver)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice spanish silver

HH Jer

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure-Diver said:
Hey Dan (CAPTN SE),

Thanks for the correction. I know nothing about Spanish Reales. How can you tell the difference between the denominations?

Thanks
Frank (Treasure-Diver)

Because of the size of the coin. He said it was roughly nickel-sized. 8-Reales coins are silver dollar-sized. So this is a One Real.

And a great looking One Real at that!

Congratulations,

Buckleboy

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hey Dan (CAPTN SE),

Thanks
Frank (Treasure-Diver)

In addition to Buckleboy's correct size ID, look at Jon's Real again, and notice the "1R" between the mintmark and assayer's initials. That stands for 1 Real.

Jon, gotta chime in again, that is a beautiful Real !!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Bachman-Turner sang, "Any love is good love", and any type of Spanish silver Reale is great!
And yours is in nicer shape than the average dug ones, albeit a bit newer than most.

Great coin! And big fun to dig up.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Fantastic find, Spanish silver was legal tender in the U.S. until 1857. You certainly have a chance to find some Spanish silver along the Ohio river. I've dug privies at many 1830's to 1860's places down there and always regretted not bringing the detector. I've seen a lot of great finds come from your area. Your's is one of the nicest I've seen. :thumbsup:

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC

Congo Rats on the find! It's gorgeous!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions