Old Colonial Road Yields Potential Counterfeit Cut Piece + 1700s Trade Knife

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Forum Guys: :P

Hey, what in the heck is uuuup forum dudes? KirkPA is here and ready to relate a tale of Colonial relic hunting. Yes, as many of you dudes may know, I am a passionate hunter of Colonial artifacts, sooooo I went in search of these things. :tongue3: After I stated my boyfriendly, "Goodbye, sweetpie" to my babe, I was off in search of some old stuff. :tongue3: :tard: :D :o

As I placed my detector verrrry softly in the back of my car and turned on some tunes (what in the heck??? Elton John's "Daniel" started to play...Stacia still had her C.D. in my slot...:tongue3:...oh well, I listened to it and smiled like a happy 'liker' of this great man/singer :tongue3: :D), I was off to the "Old Colonial Road" site.

After unpacking my professional equipment :tongue3:, I was detecting my way to an area that I had in mind. :tongue3: After sweeping for about an hour with nothing to show for, I soon was welcomed with numerous nullings of my threshold. Now, being a professional, I knew that I was onto a dwelling. You may ask your intellagint minds :tard: :tongue3: :D, "How does he know that?" Well, let me tell you this, I just KNOW! :P :D Kyle and I have seen a amateur detectorist walk straight through these iron patches and say, "No iron!" Well, let me tell you this, we know it is iron and lets just keep it at that! :P :icon_pirat:

After listening intently to these nullings, kind of like John Walter used to do and possibly STILL doing today :o :D, I came across a good signal and looked down...a flat button was on the ground. Cool! :tongue3: :D I soon started to grid with patience and was soon greeted with many signals. During the next couple hours, I dug numerous musketballs and a couple more buttons. I also picked up some nice pottery pieces and some black glass (typical on Colonial sites). As you will see, I also excavated a Colonial crotal bell...check out the pattern on it! Check out the pewter Colonial spoon part I dug! :wink:

This was when it started to get fun...COLONIAL style, BABY! :D :tongue3: I was soon welcomed with a nice 46 VDI and looked down again...a relic or coin was on the ground. Cool! :tongue3: It turned out to be a Chinese cash coin...probably late 1700s. ;D My patience started to pay off! :icon_sunny: In the same area, I got a nice iron hit and dug down to 3" and excavated what looked to be part of a knife. As you can see, the handle broke off of it...it is definitely Colonial! :) Just for reference, the knife was recovered about 50 yards from where I found my Levanna point. It kind of looks like a trade item that the white man would have given to the Native American in return for fur or other skins. :)

NOW, here comes the potential good part. I was digging a target, when this coin-looking object popped out of the hole. Zoyboy stated that it is characterstic of a spelter counterfeit cut piece. It is obvious that this thing is a coin of some sort. As you will see, it was obviously cut to make change. On the pic, check out the dot on the upper left...it could be porous surface due to the cheap metal...very typical for counterfeits. On the other side of the object, I can see what looks like a "C"...possibly the 'C' in 'Carolus.' :) What do you guys think? :)

All in all, I had a great time hunting a true Colonial site. Analog strikes again! ;D

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

cutpiece004.jpg

Colonial002.jpg

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Colonial Road Yields Potential Counterfeit Cut Piece

I like the crotal bell. Some nice relics there too.

Can we see a picture of the side that has the "C"?

Since when do you go relic hunting in the middle of the week? ??? I thought you were a weekend warrior. I guess that's what happens when you sweet talk your girl.

Congrats on a good hunt colonial relic digger upper dude!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Your wedge looks to have had ridges on the edge. I cant see enough from the pictures. You still had a great day with all the relics and stuff. Thats the third crotal bell I have seen in the last week, she is a perty one.
Good job kirk and keep on diggin' buddy!

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Evolution said:
I like the crotal bell. Some nice relics there too.

Can we see a picture of the side that has the "C"?

Since when do you go relic hunting in the middle of the week? ??? I thought you were a weekend warrior. I guess that's what happens when you sweet talk your girl.

Congrats on a good hunt colonial relic digger upper dude!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rob,

Hey, buddy, what's up?

I have to work on Sunday, so I got out today. I definitely got an ancient Chinese coin today...:D.

Kirk

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Your wedge looks to have had ridges on the edge. I cant see enough from the pictures. You still had a great day with all the relics and stuff. Thats the third crotal bell I have seen in the last week, she is a perty one.
Good job kirk and keep on diggin' buddy!

John,

I will get a better pic of the cut piece soon. Thanks for the reply. That crotal bell was fun to find.

Kirk

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Here is a better pic of the target:

Check out the "C" on the upper left. It is easier to see by the naked eye. :)

Zoy and I both agree it is definitely a coin that has a debased metal. :wink: It was found in the area where the Colonial relics were surfacing. :wink: ;D

Kirk

cut005.jpg

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm glad you were able to get out. I'm hoping to get out a little next week. I'm actually on vacation. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I get a few hunts in. I'm hoping I can turn up a few nice relics to show for the effort. I still haven't found an intact crotal bell :-\ My buddy Steve got three perfect ones from the site we hunted on the 13th of March. I haven't been out since then unfortunately but I'm hoping to catch up a little this coming week.

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Thanks, guys, for the replies. This site is a back-up, so I hit it when I have time. The plow is about to till the ground, so we won't be on this property until next harvest.

May your next swing be a coppa sig!

Kirk

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Glad to see you're back in action, Kirky! I see you're loving the new smiley icons. :tard: :tard:

Love the bell and the buttons. :)

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Mona Lisa said:
Glad to see you're back in action, Kirky! I see you're loving the new smiley icons. :tard: :tard:

Love the bell and the buttons. :)

Thanks for the response, Mrs. Lisa! :hello2:

I hope your next sweep is a King George coppa. :blob7:

Kirk

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Here is a picture of a typical iron trade knife. Now, check out mine, which does need to be professionally restored.

Kirk

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,078

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Colonial Road Yields Potential Counterfeit Cut Piece + Colonial Trade Knife

Cool finds - love the bell ;D

HH

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Folks,

Here is a picture of my 18th century trade knife. From all the info we have read, we have concluded that it is, indeed, a trade knife. I am pumped! :thumbsup:

We have written proof that the Seneca Indians frequented this area in the 1700s. Also, there is archaeological evidence, from this site I have provided, that the Seneca tribe had trade knives with them.

http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/Frenchtradeknives/morefrenchtradeknives.htm

Kirk

TradeKnife003.jpg

S

seger98

Nice knife blade, you got a nice spot there, is this fur trade related? Or just a trade item with indians? I'm not familiar with the area you live in as to the fur trade era.. :thumbsup:

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. The trade knife is sweet. Not a whole lot of trade knives or crotal bells in my local parks :-\

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

At times I wish I lived outside of the city here in Pa. You go in any direction from the city and you can find colonial sites. I love those diggs you guys are pulling up. That is the best type of hunting.

HH Jer

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Bud! I actually DO see the "C" that you are talking about...it took me looking at it for a few seconds and then it "socked" me right in the eyeball! IT is as clear as day and is a very cool addition to the colonial coins that you got! This was no doubt a great site. You and Kyle have been doing your homework and it paid off. I talked to Kyle last night and he told me that he had just finished a little 'project' and it looks like the 'project' paid off.
That crotal bell is in perfect shape and those musketballs are top notch too. The Chinese trade coin is top notch...and... Looking at that knife blade and hunting here in Williamsburg/Newport News/Norfolk, VA, I can tell you that it definitely looks colonial as we have dug numerous blades similar to that one. Top it off with a couple flat buttons and you had a John Walter type day bud!!!! :thumbsup: :wink: Hats off to ya!

Josh

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
seger98 said:
Nice knife blade, you got a nice spot there, is this fur trade related? Or just a trade item with indians? I'm not familiar with the area you live in as to the fur trade era.. :thumbsup:

Chris,

It is most likely a trade item that the white man gave to the Indians. It could be fur trade era though. I need some more information.

Kirk

silverfreak said:
Good stuff. The trade knife is sweet. Not a whole lot of trade knives or crotal bells in my local parks :-\

Thanks, bud, for the reply. Good luck out in the field!

Kirk

{Sentinel} said:
Great job Bud! I actually DO see the "C" that you are talking about...it took me looking at it for a few seconds and then it "socked" me right in the eyeball! IT is as clear as day and is a very cool addition to the colonial coins that you got! This was no doubt a great site. You and Kyle have been doing your homework and it paid off. I talked to Kyle last night and he told me that he had just finished a little 'project' and it looks like the 'project' paid off.
That crotal bell is in perfect shape and those musketballs are top notch too. The Chinese trade coin is top notch...and... Looking at that knife blade and hunting here in Williamsburg/Newport News/Norfolk, VA, I can tell you that it definitely looks colonial as we have dug numerous blades similar to that one. Top it off with a couple flat buttons and you had a John Walter type day bud!!!! :thumbsup: :wink: Hats off to ya!

Josh

Hey, buddy, thanks for the reply. Yes, it was a John Walter style of hunt. I am really pumped up about the 18th century trade knife. I emailed a local archeaologist about it, so I am waiting for the reply.

I am hoping that it is a counterfeit cut piece. It would be a great addition to my collection!

You must keep hitting the fields, dude! I have a feeling a nice CSA plate will surface in your future! :wink: :D

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions