My First Civil War Bullets

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
A good buddy of mine took me over to his friends house that sits above a very famous Civil War camp in Ohio. He said that I could expect to find a bullet or two. I found a round one first, and then I found a really nice 3 ringed bullet. I guess it was the luck of the draw, b/c he said that is the second best bullet found on the site out of 50+. He said the other one was almost polished looking with a red patina. Clearly the bullet was never fired, b/c it is perfect in every manner. I don't know the caliber, so I put a ruler up. The one on the far right he thought was Civil War era, does anyone know?
Probably a boring post for you guys who live in Civil War country, but there aren't too many places to find these guys in Ohio.
I am going to try a defunct park this evening if I can sneak away. Wish me luck.
Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• metaldetecting452008.jpg
    metaldetecting452008.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice civil war bullets The 3 ringer looks like a .58 caliber. The round ball looks like a .69 caliber.
Dman

troyx5

Nov 24, 2007
Yep the musketball and the .58 are both Civil War. The bullet on the right is modern :) Good diggin'

sneaky6

Aug 14, 2007
Deep Dug Hole, VA
Congrats on your first CW bullets. That three ringer is in great shape. Looks perfect. Must have been a thrill. Hope you find some more. Thanks for sharing.

Sneaky6

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the responses. .58 cal?- cool. All I know is that is one heavy bullet. The type of damage these bullets must have done.....
Yes, I was really lucky and found a dropped bullet. It is perfect. Maybe a few flakings off it, but I didn't even touch it with the knife.
Jon.

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
I was just glad that you found a Minie, let alone a dropped one in that condition ! We are welcome back any time so keep that in mind as a backup plan for the next time we hit an 1865 house with not even so much as a wheat cent to be found :'(
I'm pretty sure the modern one is a .30 caliber bullet. -Rob
pointdlr said:
A good buddy of mine took me over to his friends house that sits above a very famous Civil War camp in Ohio. He said that I could expect to find a bullet or two. I found a round one first, and then I found a really nice 3 ringed bullet. I guess it was the luck of the draw, b/c he said that is the second best bullet found on the site out of 50+. He said the other one was almost polished looking with a red patina. Clearly the bullet was never fired, b/c it is perfect in every manner. I don't know the caliber, so I put a ruler up. The one on the far right he thought was Civil War era, does anyone know?
Probably a boring post for you guys who live in Civil War country, but there aren't too many places to find these guys in Ohio.
I am going to try a defunct park this evening if I can sneak away. Wish me luck.
Jon Dickinson.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Yes, In OH it would be a rare find. I was lucky enough to have found some of those myself. We had a aersenal here around the early 1800's. They were making bullets. Many of hunters hit this park were the aersenal used to be. They found tons of bullets there.

I was one of the last people to put a coil to this place. But I still managed to find some of them. I could dig those type of bullets all day long. They are really nice to dig.

HH Jer

Genool

Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Nice find...I'm still waiting for my first bullets... :-[

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions