Relic Hunting in Ohio, Eagle button and a What is it!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, my hunting partner and I got out Sunday and hunted an old log cabin site. We found a bunch of trash and horse harness articles. Gary found a neat token from Maumee City. Really neat token.

I found several buttons laying on top of the ground and a really nice, well sort of nice, Eagle button, down about 5 inches. Looks like it got hit with a plow. I also found a couple of clay marbles.

I guess my Big question is What is the Big Brass thing I found? I have an idea, that it might be a butt plate from the Revolution era. Not sure that is why I am asking your folks if you have an idea what it is. If it is a butt plate, what kind of rifle would it have come from and or age?

Thanks for looking at my post.

HH,Ringfinder

Attachments

• Buttons and clay marbles.jpg
    Buttons and clay marbles.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 557
  • eagle button.jpg
    eagle button.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 550
  • Ok what is it.jpg
    Ok what is it.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is anothe picture of all my stuff and Garys token

Thanks for looking at my post

HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• relic finds.jpg
    relic finds.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 552
  • front of token and eagle button.jpg
    front of token and eagle button.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 551
  • back of garys token.jpg
    back of garys token.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 536

Findone

Jan 20, 2006
COPE SOUTH CAROLINA
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT and Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds! It looks like a butt plate to me too. Don't know what the date would be though.
Leon

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice relics,

The token is one you don't see everyday.

HH Jer

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds :)

HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wish I could help with the buttplate RF....I Love It though,still lookin'.The smaller clay marble's are awesome.Nice relic's....keep hitting that place.Congrat's and HH!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, very cool token Denny. Looks like a worthwhile hunt. The weather has been great here in Ohio for hunting. Gotta hit those woods before all that stuff comes up!

Bob

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Yeah, very cool token Denny. Looks like a worthwhile hunt. The weather has been great here in Ohio for hunting. Gotta hit those woods before all that stuff comes up!

Bob

Yeah, Like maybe some mushrooms, LOL, that would be great if that was all that came up.
See you and Nate got out some this past week, nice finds.

HH,Ringfinder

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The Maumee City token is a Civil War store card (merchant's token). There are copper and brass varieties of the same design.

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
The Maumee City token is a Civil War store card (merchant's token). There are copper and brass varieties of the same design.

Thanks PBK, say can you tell me what kind of gun would have used the Butt Plate I found, as far as I can tell it might have been used on a double barrel muzzle loader shotgun. They have one at our local museum and the butt plate on it looks similar. Age of the shotgun is around 1780 or so.

Thanks for the other ID.

HH, Ringfinder

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Denny, you and your buddy have been pulling out some great relics recently. It looks like you will be having another awesome year.

Have you guys gone back to the church site that was producing all of those Seateds?

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions