May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello all,

normally I'd be jumping up and down with a barber half ... well it was kind of a bitter/sweet find

here's the story :

i only had a short time to detect so with Paco's permission (it's his site) i went to a place close to home that has produced so many incredible finds over the last year

well to make a long story short i stumbled upon yet another homestead on this very large farm, thinking it was another colonial site (as we've found several here) i started to detect it quick as my time was running out - my first target was a 00 29 on my SE, i dug it and saw it was silver - BIG SILVER - now it was decked by the plow and obviously fire burnt but yeah MY MIND WAS RACING BIGTIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i quickly got it home and got the dirt off it, called Paco at work and got him super excited about it (thinking it was early american or maybe even spanish) then after cleaning a bit I saw the edging on one side - ok not spanish and then a little later after starring at it thru a magnifying glass I saw the ONLY identifiable features on the thing "897" cleary an 8 - 9 - 7

which puts it as a Barber Half - the ugliest one you will ever see :)

now the good news out of all of this (besides I got a nice hunk of silver) is that the homestead was probably burnt down, definately virgin and yeah there's probably more there

take care

vp

Attachments

• barberhalf-02.jpg
    barberhalf-02.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice find,

Yes man that is the ugliest one ever. I got a really ugly franklin all melted up and corroded. I'd rap a towel around the coin and gently hit it out with a hammer. I usually find one barber half a yr. They get worn down but nothing like that one. I bet there is more out there.

HH Jer

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Kevin,

Awesome dig, dude! That sucks it is in such bad shape, but who cares...it is still a good find! Is there a lot of iron in the area? :)

Go get those coppas, man!

Kirk :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is silver. Seventeen dollars an ounce! :tongue3: ;D Nice dig Kevin. :thumbsup: I hope that new homesite produces big time for you.

Rob

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Damn, Kevin, that is one messed up Barber Half. :sad5: But it doesn't matter what shape it's in...it's yours and it's a big silver!!

Looking on the bright side: you've probably just found your worst shape silver you'll ever find. It will make a great conversation piece!

Good luck on your next outing!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

ELVISFAN

Apr 26, 2007
WEBB CITY MISSOURI
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap it for silver price .36169 x 17.71 current siver on the oz.=$6.41 for that poor half dollar. Dave

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You guys have been yanking out the Barber halves like they are Wheat pennies.

That farm keeps giving and giving like there is no tomorrow.

You guys should find more there on Sunday! :thumbsup

Kyle

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JerDfx said:
Nice find,

Yes man that is the ugliest one ever. I got a really ugly franklin all melted up and corroded. I'd rap a towel around the coin and gently hit it out with a hammer. I usually find one barber half a yr. They get worn down but nothing like that one. I bet there is more out there.

HH Jer

hey jer - sure is ugly huh ? i never found a fire damaged silver before, like i said it was bitter/sweet - cool to find but man the condition !

KirkPA said:
Kevin,

Awesome dig, dude! That sucks it is in such bad shape, but who cares...it is still a good find! Is there a lot of iron in the area? :)

Go get those coppas, man!

Kirk :thumbsup:

yoooooooo kirk, thanks man, i thought i had a nice copper but i could tell as soon as i dug it up, it was silver - my first silver SLUG :) (kinda funny 'cause i'm always complaining about coppa slugs and now i got a silver slug!)

i was hoping it was OLD silver but wasn't meant to be .. oh well it was cool to find - lots of iron, definately a homestead, it was close to where Paco found all the silver two weeks ago, we'll see what else comes from it

take care
kevin

Evolution said:
Silver is silver. Seventeen dollars an ounce! :tongue3: ;D Nice dig Kevin. :thumbsup: I hope that new homesite produces big time for you.

Rob

Hey Rob, yeah i'll take it, thanks - kevin

Captn_SE said:
Damn, Kevin, that is one messed up Barber Half. :sad5: But it doesn't matter what shape it's in...it's yours and it's a big silver!!

Looking on the bright side: you've probably just found your worst shape silver you'll ever find. It will make a great conversation piece!

Good luck on your next outing!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

hey dan, pretty ugly huh ? oh well, i'll definately take 'er - liek you said it can't get any worse than that !
thanks buddy - kevin

ELVISFAN said:
Scrap it for silver price .36169 x 17.71 current siver on the oz.=$6.41 for that poor half dollar. Dave

and scrap silver it DEFINATELY IS !

Mirage said:
Well at least you could identify it and it's BIG SILVER. ;D :D Good deal.

Bob

hey bob, i saw you walking half - very nice - i guess i can be happy it had a date on it

kevin

zoyboy said:
You guys have been yanking out the Barber halves like they are Wheat pennies.

That farm keeps giving and giving like there is no tomorrow.

You guys should find more there on Sunday! :thumbsup

Kyle

yooooooooooooo kyle - how ya been ?
you guys have been on fire lately, nice research buddy

i actually thought of you after i realized this was a barber (remember your barber qtr and you were hoping for spanish) i felt the EXACT same way - i kinda wish now i wouldn't have gotten a date, from the site, i really thought it was much older that 1897 ... but it is what it is ... a silver slug !

thanks man

kevin

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's offical:

No one is EVER allowed to whine about ugly barbers on this site EVER again...we finally have a winner for the ugliest barber of all time! This one puts my bulldozed barbers to shame :-)

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
As long as you can identify the coin who cares what shape its in.....Cherish it Kevin. I once found a Walking Liberty half bent completely in half. It still counts for your year end silver count. Congratulations. :icon_cheers: :icon_salut:
Chris

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YO HOMIE.........WHAT A FIND , IT IS BARELY IDENTIFIABLE......GREAT JOB ON THE NEW DISCOVERY AND POSSIBLE NEW LOCATION. IF I AM RIGHT , I THINK IT WAS CLOSE TO THE OTHER BARBER I GOT..............PACO

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool silver. . . I think it adds to a great story about the site you're hunting :wink:

Take care & good hunting!
watercolor

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote this one for the banner...no WAY anyone has another one like it. Isn't the banner for rare and very, very unusual finds???????????

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kevin, thanks for the compliments towards my latest research. I just hope we can get more coins off of this property.

If you were getting tons of iron, then you are definitely in a homestead. This Sunday, you and Paco should hit it slow and hope for some more coins to pop out.

Good luck on your next hunts there, dude! :thumbsup:

Kyle

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, atleast its silver :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find VP.
Good luck at that new spot you found.
-MM-

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang brother....you weren't kidding. Thats one ugly dog :icon_biggrin: It's yours though and you found it :thumbsup:. I haven't found a barber half in ten years...and I'm not joking...so I would take it any day of the week. Besides...yours is unique...silver is silver...AND it's big silver. VERY nice find buddy. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread