Anyone have an idea what this means?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
The snow has melted, the ground is thawing, I've had cabin fever hard, so I took the day to get out and explore. What a beautiful day, got into the 50's and the sun was out in full force. :icon_sunny: Micki and I hit the yard to spend some quality time and get back into the "swing" of things. We had a ball. Found a couple of neat trinkets, 2 and 3/4 cents the oldest a 1962. So you know I have gotten better with discriminating out the nails, the vibra probe found them in the same hole as the other "junk" (as the Hubby says :D)

Leaving Micki at home for a bit, I head out to where I found an old road for a meat packing co., from the mid 1800's. I finally find what was surely a road at one time. Looking for any signs of THE spot, I catch something fluttering in the breeze, it looks like a large feather. Instead of floating to the ground it just swings there. ??? Well I have to take a closer look, the feather is tied by string to the limb of a large pine tree along with the leg of what I am assuming was the Hawk. :o Now my imagination is running wild, but curiousity has me too. Leave? Or take just a minute to look around? I swing around part of the tree and feel like I'm being watched. (I'm sure that feeling was too may horor novels :D) OK I'm outta here!

Does anyone have a clue to the meaning or why someone would do this. I would really feel better knowing something of the meaning, if anyone would know......... it's you folks. Thank for the help!

Attachments

• first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    first hunt, floor 023.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,689
  • first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    first hunt, floor 017.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,687
  • first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    first hunt, floor 019.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,666
  • first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    first hunt, floor 018.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,672
  • first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    first hunt, floor 006.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,652
  • first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    first hunt, floor 008.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2,628
  • first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    first hunt, floor 009.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,597
Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
The Blair witch thing entered my mind. :-\ Let's hope not. I would have thought luck, prayer, wishes, until I saw the leg. :icon_scratch:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I don't know, would a leg be attached with it is it was a prayer feather? I would of left too if I had a weird eire feeling. Six sense kicking in

I thought maybe the hawk had gotten tangled up reading the story and died but seeing the pictures it was definitly put there.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Deffinately put there, but why? Why only hang one tail? feather and one leg? I've hung out in the woods all my life, I never felt that creepy. :-[

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
I see a turkey feather but I don't see the leg.

ICEHOTCAP

Feb 11, 2008
va beach va
Detector(s) used
300 treasure ace
it is used by a bow hunter in the area that he can tell witch way the wind is blowing while in a tree stand hunting for deer................. i have done it many of time to stay down wind of the deer or to put out more fox sent.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ICEHOTCAP said:
it is used by a bow hunter in the area that he can tell witch way the wind is blowing while in a tree stand hunting for deer................. i have done it many of time to stay down wind of the deer or to put out more fox sent.

and the leg for?

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
ICEHOTCAP said:

I've hung feathers for decoys while predator hunting. It works great with coyotes and pretty fair with bobcats. The leg, though??

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the thing that throws me off, is the leg ! And if I had the feeling I was being watched, I would go with my gut and left too! And it would not have anything to do with reading to many spook stories, thats why GOD gave you that 6th sense!

Keep going and have fun, but for that one spot I'd stay away unless I took someone with me ~~~~ for a while anyway ~~~~~ but who knows if you were being watched whoeever if they and the leg belonged togeather they may move it !

Just glad you two got out and had a good time! :icon_sunny:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
was your doggie with you? did he/she acted strange or on alert?

Anything around there other than the road? Is it far out in the sticks?

I also think lookng at it better it is a turkey feather not a hawk. either way still weird and strange.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Ack! That is very creepy! I'm glad you left. Always trust your "gut".

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I am glad you don't use the leg my friend had me nervous there for a second. :-\ really the feather would not have bothered me had it been alone. That's what is throwing me.

6th sense? The hair was standing up on the back of my neck! Here is the "funny?" part.......I look up and see what I will picture next. 2nd thoughts, it is a pine tree and it could be pine pitch that has accumulated over the years. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Micki is still fairly new to us and she has just learned her boundries in the yard, I don't want to confuse her yet. It's really way off the beaten path. You would have to hike quite a bit to get there without crossing mine or the neighbors property. Took a mile walk to get there and a much quicker hike through the swamp to get home. :D

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Good question. Maybe using it as bait? But for what?(Alien beings love hawk legs)
Joe

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
lol yeah if you want that to pine sap ok I say ok if it is it would be normal for tree's to "bleed" as they got from dorment to actively growing again.

I was thinking you had the same thing. (g_ts) I think it might be. Walking through the woods to get out of there. Nothing for miles other than you and your neighbors places. Yes very strange

Have you been in that area before? It doesn't look like it has been there long

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I dunno but it sure is some CRAZY SHEEAT, uh yea, deliverence comes to mind. I don't know where you were at but I wouldn't go back alone or without practicing my second amendment right......

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Yeah with some of the wacky stuff going on nowadays, unfortunately all sorts of things start running through your mind. I will be going back but not alone, well not this week anyways. :wink:

I was wondering if a serated edged digger would scare anyone off, or anything? :D

I did find that the Hawk means "strength far sighted" in the Indian culture? Who knows?

It's pine pitch, I hope. Right that second....... :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread