Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Rodeo Recon and his lady and I went out to find an ooooooooold house site today. We got permission from the totally sweet property owners and started swinging away. They said that the original house was probably over in the side cornfield, since they had plowed up old brick :thumbsup: earthenware pottery :thumbsup: and glass :thumbsup:

So we started there. One of the first signals I dug, I popped out a LARGE copper disc. I yelled at Rodeo to come over--"I've got a Large Cent!" He came over and looked (rather longingly) at that glorious piece of work in my hand. I just had to take a photo of it before I cleaned it. Now I've dug the heck out of some LC's in my day--and I was 99.99% certain that this was one. Here's the photo:

LC.jpg

So I put the coin in my pocket and we started pounding the HECK out of the site....

It was one BEAUTIFUL spot:

4-8-08.jpg

Three and a half hours later--and almost all of our digging time gone, we had only a few wheats and bits of brass to show for our efforts. Where the heck were all the other old coins? Where were the flat buttons? Pewter spoon bits? Something didn't add up...

Then it hit me. We'd been hunting hard under the assumption that I'd found a LC shortly after walking on the site...

I gulped hard, started to sweat a little, and pulled the corroded disc out of my pocket. I was certain that it was a coin. I could see the "O" and "N" of "ONE CENT" on the back...or so I thought.

So I got some water out of the car and started to clean...and this is what I saw:

Damned French 2.jpg

Damned French 1.jpg

The "ON" that I'd seen on the coin wasn't part of "ONE CENT" but rather the "CN" of the word "FRANCS"upside down >:( Those DAMNED FRENCH! The coin is a 1941 2 Francs. >:( Sorry RR and Ladyfriend! We'd have made it a two-site-day if silly 'ole Buckles had possessed the intelligence to clean the coin enough to identify it while in the field. I've been fooled for a second or two with flat buttons before--but never, EVER have I been THIS duped!

And for all of you who read this post intently all the way through instead of just looking at the photos...now you kinda know how I felt. Except that I felt like a BIG clod for carrying it around in my pocket for almost four hours thinking it was a LC, and an even BIGGER CLOD for allowing such a find to eat up all our hunting time. Grrrrrr!

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone stole your photos :icon_scratch:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd spend the money to send it back BB......Damn French!!!! >:(

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like i was there with you I read the whole post. That sucker really did look like a LC with all that dirt on it. It certainly would have fooled me too.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:P Well....think of the excitement you got to experience for four hours! ;D :wink:

Still a nice find though, BB! :) Nana

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
What a nice green patina!! LC -NOT
Don't beat your self up to bad. That's a big field. Ya got permission. Go hit it again, I bet you a 2008 penny, that ya will find your large cent.
Joe-Bob in Tn.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol, I had a similar experience not too long ago in a NJ ghost town. I thought I had a large cent, until I flipped it over to see a young Queen Elizabeth!

Attachments

• 2007_1008Image0002.JPG
    2007_1008Image0002.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 474
  • 2007_1008Image0004.JPG
    2007_1008Image0004.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 454

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Ha! I dug a 2 Centimes coin years ago.. and I swear out in the field I thought it was a 2 cent piece!! I was pretty happy as it was my "first" 2 cent piece.. until I cleaned it in a creek while I was eating... errr! The good thing was.. I had found a bunch of flat buttons around the same area and one of them was a Navy button... War of 1812 era!! The site had a house, a ford and a mill so it ended up producing a lot of early stuff a little further away then where I had found that... but I can still remember being all pumped up till I clean it...

MonkeyBoy

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, ha, ha. LMAO BB. ;D ;D ;D Hilarious story. Colonial Copper to French Franc. :'(
That looks like a great spot to swing though. You'll get em' next time buddy. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Too bad it was not a large cent but still a nice find.
Dman

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
There is always a time that we revert back to our rookie times in our metal detecting careers. :tongue3: :wink: :D

Keep sweeping with the Iron diggers! :wink:

Kirk

SteveJG

Mar 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
The good thing is, you do have permission to hunt the site...get back there and find those coppers!!!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don't worry, Buck, that Colonia coppa is coming soon, buddy. We all have encountered situations like this. >:(

Kyle

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, been there done that on thinking I had a goodie only to find out when you get home it is a button!! Hey, at least it was a coin. :)

Don

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Don in SJ said:
Yup, been there done that on thinking I had a goodie only to find out when you get home it is a button!! Hey, at least it was a coin. :)

Don

Don and Buck, if I know that I have a coppa, I rub the doyt off of it in order to to find out what it is. Now, silver on the other hand, is a big no-no for field cleaning. As John Walter would state, "I don't clean no Colonial silver in the field. No, no, no."

Kyle

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Still a nice find BB.

I got one of those francs just like that one from the 30's. They are gold colored coins. Oh well atleast you saved a few more coins from nature.

HH Jer

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
I'd spend the money to send it back BB......Damn French!!!! >:(

LOL Nice idea, civilman--but that coin has already cost enough as it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread