Nice find in pocket change today!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I started into this great hobby of ours, I find myself not only hunting for dropped pennies on my way in and out of stores, but also checking my pocket change. This morning, I stopped for a coffee and smokes, and got 2 quarters a a nickel back in change. The nickel is a 1998 S proof coin that someone must have broken out of a set and spent! Although it is not perfect anymore due to being in circulation, it is still the shiniest nickel I have ever seen!! The pics I posted don't do it justice, it's a beautiful coin, especially the fine detal and the pure silvery shine in the fields behind Jefferson and Monticello! The pics are crappy, but even with it's imperfections, it's still the cleanest, shiniest coin ever to land in my hand! So remember everyone, CHECK YOUR CHANGE!!!
HH!

Attachments

• 5-27-05 Proof Nickel.JPG
    5-27-05 Proof Nickel.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 5-27-05 Proof Nickel 2.JPG
    5-27-05 Proof Nickel 2.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Awesome! Kinda like the same thing that happened to me today, it also involved a nickle! GOOD EYE :)

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Proof coins do end up in circulation, occasionally. Good eye there. Very nice coin.
BRD

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone that knows the difference between a proof coin and a coin struck for general circulation would never spend the proof coin. This is especially true if that person paid the premium for the proof coin.

My guess is the coin was stolen and the thief spent it. It could have been Junior stealing from Daddy's collection to buy cigarettes or it could have been a regular burglar.

All the more reason to look at your pocket change. You never know when a thief will spend that 1909-S VDB or spend a roll of 1964 dimes. The victim's loss could be your gain.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years, I have found quite a few wheaties and silver Rosies, and even a Merc or 2 in change. You never know what's gonna land in your hand, so it pays to check! Maybe there should be a whole section on the forum dedicated to "pocket change finds", just to see how often it occurs. We could post coins we get in change, or finds for the poeple who search rolled coins. After all, a find is a find, right? CHECK your change!!!!!!

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Badger, people throw out valuable stuff all the time. But then, that's what makes them rare and valuable! If I had a nickel for all the times my Dad told me about all of his old baseball cards his mother threw out when they moved while he was in the service, I'd be a rich man! Some people just don't understand the value of things!

P

PrizmIV

When I was at the lake this weekend, I was driving our friends 47ft searay and went to get gas at a marina and in change got 3 wheats. 1945 1954 1956

JandM

May 8, 2005
How exactly do you tell whether you have a proof coin in your pocket change. Is there some type of marks, or is it just because it's extra shiny? I'm new to this, so you'll have to pardon my ignorance :)

P

PrizmIV

Welcome to a great a hobbie! You can tell because of 2 reasons. One the most important the mint mark is S. And of course the outstanding mirror like condishion.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link to a GREAT site for newbies to coin collecting. It gives all the details you need to find out what's what, and what's scarce and valuable, as well as info on errors, mintage figures, years made, etc.

www.coinfacts.com

I actually verified that this nickel was a proof on this site.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread