Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800's Find of the day............SSSSSSSSSS

Shannon and I got a chance to get away for detecting today. Had planned to go to the sandy banks of the river. Got there and lots and lots of people there. So we decided to go back to the Dr.'s old house. We were there a couple of hours....found some junk, an old glass and metal Mason lid......decided to go over to where the ground had been plowed. We were just beep beep beeping along, minding our own business and then there he was......A big ole velvet tail rattler! He was just as quiet as could be...no warning what so ever...... Because we had planned to go detecting on the sand we didn't bother to bring the snake chaps....I guess the lesson we learned today is DON'T FORGET the SNAKE CHAPS!!!!! :o

Nana ;)

Attachments

• Snake.JPG
    Snake.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 791
  • Snake1.JPG
    Snake1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 774
  • Snake2.JPG
    Snake2.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 765
  • Snake4.JPG
    Snake4.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 753
  • Masonlid1.JPG
    Masonlid1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 728
Upvote 0

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Re: 1800's Find of the day............SSSSSSSSSS

And I thought the mosquitoes were bad LOL!!! Keep up the good work!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I H A T E hSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS S N A K E S sssss.......but the last pic was cool.....

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No...the owner of the land said he didn't want us to kill his rattlers....he said the only ones he kills is the copperheads.....? ???

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Nana? ;)

M

mattjd

I love snakes. I think there sooooooooooo cute!

Matt

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

??? CUTE ???

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that about a snake! :D

Nana ;)

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with those things at the beach! Great pictures Nana! Thanks.

HH 8) surfrat

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate

You got to love them Reptiles. ?And that by the size of the head was a pretty big snake. ?I had an Iguana for a pet for the longets time. ?Bought him when he was 6" and ended up putting him down when he was about 5'. ?He was going on 14 years old and thats old for them. ?Old age was setting in and he wasn't doing good. ?But was so fun. ?Nice finds ?and HH

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool snake!

How did it register on the screen!?

Was it mid tone or high tone!?

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lonewolf...
That would be a high tone..no wait....that was Shannon! HAHA! ;D

Gold...

I hate snakes too but I left him alone....Shovel wasn't long enough! HAHA! ;D

Nana ;)

MD

Apr 4, 2005

Awesome pics. I gather you were using the zoom on your camera! I remember being told to be extra careful in May because rattlers don't rattle this time of year. Something to do with shedding. Not sure if it's a wives tale or not.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

man im glad we dont have to worry about rattle snakes in this part of the country. we dont have em. we do have copperheads and cotton mouths but they are few and far between, in fact as much time as i spend outdoors i have never seen either. i think you did the right thing by leaving it alone,you could have been bitten by trying to kill it and besides,they keep the rat population in check.just be carefull out there!

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Omni...that's the one! There must be a population explosion of snakes this year...I have seen around 15 already (from the boat or the truck) ...and normally I might see 15 in a couple of years... The closest I got to this one was to bump it with the end of my MD with my arms stretched out as far as I could!....close enough for me! :o It's really got me looking twice before I step! ;D

Nana ;)

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

Not a nice find.You be carefull out on that site.My last two trips this week gave me some tic,s to take home.Found one when I went to shower and the other was on the way back to the house and scrached my neck and found it.Safe &hh

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN

Hi Nana--- That's one nice looking snake. Never heard of a velvet tail before. But living in the mid west, I never saw a ratter till I moved to AZ.
I think we have 3-5 different typs here. A couple are coon tail (black and white strips before rattler, Mohave (the worst if you get bitten), regular diamond back, I think they are called bull nose is another, then there is one that's greenish and black, that I notced a nest of them just before hibernating for the year. Scarred the heck out of me. didn't realize there was a nest of them till I got home and looked at the picture. I took a picture of the one I saw and backed up and did't see the others till I looked at the picture.Two more steps and all hell would have broken lose.

Jacko

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This reminds me of a time when I was golfing with my dad and 2 of my uncles outside of Jacksonville,Fl. some years back.Long story short,we were heading back to the clubhouse after a round of disastrous and humorous proportions.So were riding in the cart(uncle driving) and we run over what I thought was a log or at least a large branch.So we turn the cart around to see what the heck we'd run over and to our surprise we see a big ole snake laying there.Well of course we thought we'd killed it, so we got a little closer to investigate.All of a sudden this thing coiled up and his tail started rattling!This was the BIGGEST rattlesnake i'd ever saw.Well, my uncle being the snake charmer that he (thought he) was,decided to go at it with his golf club.I know a rattler can strike at least half of his body length,and that golf club was not quite that long.Well he managed to kill it(I would have let it live myself).This thing measured over 7 feet and looked like it just ate a raccoon it was so fat in the gut.Now my uncle thinks he has a world record rattlesnake and throws it in the golfcart to take back with him.The funny part is when we got back to the clubhouse and showed the guys ,there reply was "Well shoot thats almost as big as the one they brought in yesterday" :) And this my friends is a true story.BTW- it was an eastern diamondback.Thought i'd share since I couldn't go detecting and i'm on here reading. H.H.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

Realy COOL pictures. I am glad to hear that you did not kill such cool snake. I run into a timber rattler around hear every now and then but have never killed one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread