What a trippy day!

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
;D
I took a drive to a town I'd never been before; about 25 miles from home. I stopped at a huge high school complex and almost immediately after turning on my detector, I found my first quarter. I only located 4 quarters, a dime, a few pennies and a bullet/shell. (Of course I found ammunition - it was a school property!) But, hey, the sun was out, it was a holiday weekend and I was enjoying my favorite hobby... On the way home, I stopped at Wal-Mart and as I was leaving the parking lot, I realized someone had parked their shopping cart and left behind a good-sized seedless watermelon on the bottom rack! Score! Another unexpected find and I didn't have to get dirty! As I neared my house, I figured I'd round out the day and check out a kids' playground nearby. I found 2 pennies. But, I made friends with a 3-yr old boy. He and his Dad has just pulled up and the kid was asking all kinds of questions about what that girl (thank you!) was doing. I got permission from his Dad to give the boy a rubber ball I'd just dug up out of the sand - and they were both beyond delighted with the gift. I wandered around a bit more - nothing on the ball field or basketball court - and truthfully, I was feeling a bit tired out. I was ready to quit for the day when my detector rang out again. I dug down about 6 inches - and discovered - to my amazement... a tiny piece of GOLD! MY FIRST GOLD! And the really odd thing; it was only about 1.5cm long.... but this really, really small piece was stamped 14K! I looked and looked all around the area, but never discovered anything else to which it could have once belonged.... (I may go back there with a shovel!). Anyway - it's the tiny piece in the picture, just above the $5 bill.... which I found blowing towards me right as I left the spot where I'd found the gold! No kidding.... 5 minutes later on the road to my home, I found the Nike cap. Jeez - what a trippy day!
Hope everyone has a faboo Holiday Weekend...
Ruth

Attachments

• IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 332
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SaintSea

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Loved the watermelon joke!!! ?BTW I already broke into my found melon and it was oh so sweet! ?Something about stolen melons being the best...
Here's a close up of my tiny little treasure - I placed it next to a penny so its diminutive size would be obvious. ?The word above 14K is "Warranted". ?Good to know! ?Any thoughts on what it might have belonged to before it found its way into my hands??? ?Reminds me of the part of a pen that you use to clip onto your shirt... or whatever. ?What IS the word for that part?
R.

Attachments

• IMG00036.jpg
    IMG00036.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 326
OP
OP
SaintSea

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
And the hits just keep on comin'!!! :D
I took MD's advice and went back out and bought a lottery ticket....! I decided to also take the time to cash in my jar of coins - just the empty-your-pocket-out-after-work coins - not my "found" stuff. I had a lot and was sitting in the parking lot of the grocery store berating myself for not taking the time to search through the pile for any "good ones" before I left home. I gave the container a once over before I headed in. I shouldn't have worried... the CoinStar Machine kicked back 6 coins - and two of them were silver! LOL! Not kidding - both 1964's; one a Quarter and the other a Dime. Amazing how different they look from the boring old clad. Jeez - what a day I had!!!
Ruth

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! Sounds like you had a really GREAT day! Don't you just love those kind of days! :D

Congrats!
Nana ;)

And Badger......that was too funny! ;D

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It looks like a fountain pen nib (tip) to me. Nibs were gold on fine fountain pens. A gold nib would not corrode from contact with the ink and it was flexible.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW - Outstanding day! I'd have to agree with Klaatu on the fountain pen nib, although my first thought was part of a watch band. I'd say good luck, but it sounds like you've already got it! If that sort of luck continues tommorow, you'll probably turn on the detector and find The Holy Grail in your local park, lol! WTG!!!

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Great find on the watermellon!

I found a hedgetrimmer that way this weekend, left in the bottom of a shopping trolley in the carpark.

I turned it in. I probably would have kept the watermellon though....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread