Colonial Field 4-13 Gold Ring + Coppa!!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Hi All! Had great hunting weather this weekend and pulled in some nice keepers....

1700's buckle, 2 Large Colonial Buttons, lock, Tombac Buttons and Flat button with Wreath...Great Digs!!

An iron coin ??? that has a 1c with 'play money' over it...any ideas??

Then....

I dug a King George 2nd Coppa :wink: ....looks 1740ish....re-scan the hole and BANG!! +38 reading and a large Gold band in the bottom of the hole!!!! :o Couldn't believe it!!! :D

The ring has NO HALLMARKS... ??? ....could that mean that it truely dates to the age of the coin?? I need some help with this one!!

Either way...a great time out with some really awesome finds... ;D

HH, Hank 8)

Attachments

• 4-13-08.jpg
    4-13-08.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 664
Upvote 0
OP
OP
xlt nh

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
You can see the II above George's head...better shot of the ring. 8)

Attachments

• 4-13-08 2.jpg
    4-13-08 2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 656

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great day of hunting. Gold band in the same hole as a coppa. Thats awesome. I can only imagine what you were feeling at the time. That would be really cool if that was a gold band from the 1700's. I don't really see how it couldn't be. :thumbsup:

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hank you are the man !! :icon_king:

A gold ring same hole as a KG coppa !!! You have the midas touch for all metals !!

Back about 3 years Rock dug a gold ring at a site we have where we found indian trade items and a few old coppas.

I just left him a voice mail to look at the ring you found and compare it to the ring he found...just a hunch
Heck,no doubt the ring you got found UNDER a KGII certainly its the same time frame...how could it be anything else ??

Congrats once again on more AMAZING finds !!

HH :thumbsup:

D. :icon_scratch:

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! :thumbsup:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent :)

HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FINDS

I'd love to see a close-up of the ring. Any engraving at all on it?

Regards,

Buckleboy

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
how common were gold bands in the 1700s? i love that shoe buckle! and the King george and too shabby either! looks like you have a killer spot to hunt!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
how common were gold bands in the 1700s? i love that shoe buckle! and the King george and too shabby either! looks like you have a killer spot to hunt!

I don't think they were too common amongst the ordinary citizen, and if a gold wedding band, than most likely not at all. The tradition of a man wearing a wedding band, gold or not did not basically start until late in the 19th century and in fact in America it really did not become totally common place until WW2 era.

I know most of the gold band found by most of us that are old, mostly 19th century finds with 18th century dated coins were gold plated. Back in 2001 however I did find in the same hole, together, side by side a 1779 Spanish Half Real and a homemade woman's silver wedding band type ring. So it can be...........:)

Hank, very nice mixture of finds. Congrats!

Don

OP
OP
xlt nh

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Here's a couple of close-ups of the ring...you can see the nicks in the edge from being farmed over for years.

There is no writing or marks of any kind on the ring....it's about a size 9 1/2 and is 3/8" wide.

Thanks for all the help...this is the coolest set of finds I've had in a while!

HH, Hank 8)

Attachments

• 4-13-08 4.jpg
    4-13-08 4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 388
  • 4-13-08 5.jpg
    4-13-08 5.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 379
T

TreasurdiggrNY

:o Amazing Finds, Congratulations. Great pic of the ring Fantastic! :thumbsup:
Glenn

SPORTSTER

Nov 26, 2007
hey tresuredigger i'm ROCK Dereks hunting partner I also found a gold wedding band in a Historic Indian settlement cornfield it is 14k with a symbol next to it and I'll bring it to a jewler and see if i can track down the mark next to 14k. But i originaly thought some one got made at there wife and threw it away in which he would have one big strong arm to get it were i found it . the ownwer did say no one that ever worked this field has said they lost a ring so it's a mistery. be nice to know it was given to Indians chiefs as trade items from the british or whom ever .

OP
OP
xlt nh

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
This too will definitely be a mystery.... ???...no marks after closer examination, inside or out. ::) Just don't know....

HH, Hank 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread