British Large Cent, No, A New Jersey Copper!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went detecting with my club Saturday. The weather did not cooperate and sent us home a little earlier than planned. I did find one coin in the middle of a 400 acre field. Only one other coin found by ten people in three hours. We were a little disappointed as the location was to have had a couple of 1700 farm houses. While the coin was drying and being cleaned I did see a few letters and a left facing profile. I also saw a date of "1773?". Identification is a George II by those who know large cents in my club. Does anyone know is this date would fall in the correct time period for George II large cents?

Ed D.

Attachments

• 100_1136.jpg
    100_1136.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 419
  • 100_1139.jpg
    100_1139.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: British Large Cent

I cant see too much detail on your coin. I am not completely sure of the date range of the KG coins. The date seems a little recent for a KG II. One way to tell is the bust on the KG II will face to the left. The bust on the KG III will face right. Any old copper is a great find. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It actually looks kind of like a New Jersey copper. I can kind of see the plow across the coin and it looks to be the end of the word Caesarea above it. This is just a guess as your coin doesn't show much detail.

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer

Looks great to me! Seems there is a bottom of a bust line maybe.
Reghardless awsome find.
B.R. Ray

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution, " NEW JERSEY COPPER"

I think you nailed it. The date 178? I can read and Nova Caesarea do make it A New Jersey Copper (1786-1790). If I hold it right parts of the plow show and the shield outline on the obverse are visible. Wow! A colonial coins. I am even Happier. Also, I checked a lot of British copper pictures and the writing did not match.

Ed D.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's an exciting find, ED! :o Many congrats!

Nana

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Born2Dtect said:
Evolution, " NEW JERSEY COPPER"

I think you nailed it. The date 178? I can read and Nova Caesarea do make it A New Jersey Copper (1786-1790). If I hold it right parts of the plow show and the shield outline on the obverse are visible. Wow! A colonial coins. I am even Happier. Also, I checked a lot of British copper pictures and the writing did not match.

Ed D.
I wouldn't have been so quick on the draw but as luck would have it, I found a New Jersey myself (1787) on 4/6/08. Good job!! :thumbsup: Glad I was able to help.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Born a Terp's Fan,Die a Terp's Fan.....Great Job ED!!!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread