Two RARE Silvers...259 year-old Silver!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the trip to Iron Patch’s territory for another weekend of relic hunting and as usual I was not disappointed. The highlight was crossing off an item which I have been wanting to find since I started detecting! We stuck to the sights which have been hunted before but by no means hunted out. The first day was spent travelling to the more distant sites. The conditions were not ideal at the first stop as the grass was long and it was difficult to get the coil to the ground. We tried another site on day one and found several tombac buttons and I found the large copper coin which someone had drilled out to a washer. We finished the day at a favourite spot where several more tombacs were recovered. Day two brought on some great hunts in not so great weather. It rained all day but we were ready for that with our rain suits. One of the fields we were in was like quicksand so we did not spend too much time there. My first find of note was the French Marines button. This dates to the mid 1700’s. This is my first French Marines button so I was very pleased to find it. We finished the day at the spot where IP found his belt plate last year. I got a couple more crusty coppers and the first silver of the hunt…and what a silver!!!

At first glance it appeared to be just a silver Victoria dime. I actually thought it was a half reale at first before I got a good look at it. IP looked at it and stated it was an 1872. We did both comment on the great condition it was in. We didn’t think much more of it until we got back to his place. At IP’s place I checked his coin book and could not believe my eyes. The 1872 Victoria dime is a key date with a value of $100 in G4 condition. My dime is far better than a G4…at least an EF or higher! We figure that given the fact that it has been in the ground it is still a $400 - $500 dime! Not too shabby! Before I knew what it was I actually accidentally dropped it into a murky creek TWICE while cleaning my detector. Thank god for the Sunray probe!

Day three found us back at another familiar site to IP…the Cossack Cob site. As the name indicates, this is where Canadian Cossack found his Spanish Cob last year. We buzzed around for a couple minutes when IP got a good signal and pulled out a Liard copper. He then went to check another field while I decided to remain on this one…and I am so glad that I did. I wasn’t finding much but when IP returned from scouting the other field I was just pulling a target! “I think I just found a half reale” I stated to IP as he approached (Spanish on the mind). I knew it was a silver coin but it was badly bent…I handed it to IP and he exclaimed it to be a Billon! Since I started metal detecting I have always wanted to find French silver…and this was it! It is a 1749 Paris mint Sol billon coin! Unfortunately it is bent but it is also very easily identified. The fox figure, the date and the crowns are as clear as day! Apparently the Paris mint 1749 coin is somewhat rarer than most.

Thanks again to my host Iron Patch…as always it was a great time!

Attachments

• april group.jpg
    april group.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 965
  • april tombac.jpg
    april tombac.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 966
  • april french marines front.jpg
    april french marines front.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 958
  • april dime reverse.jpg
    april dime reverse.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 964
  • april dime obverse.jpg
    april dime obverse.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 946
  • april billon bent.jpg
    april billon bent.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 935
  • april billon crown.jpg
    april billon crown.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 932
  • april billon fox.jpg
    april billon fox.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 931
  • april billon book.jpg
    april billon book.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 917
Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Two RARE Silvers...my oldest silver to date!!!

It looks like the "sockless" Minelab dude is a great guy! :wink: :D You guys cleaned house! :thumbsup:

Keep the Colonial passion high! :icon_sunny:

Kirk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds.

You always come up with the goods.

I think your a little optimistic about EF or higher, but still a very,very nice coin :icon_sunny:

Get it slabbed.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great batch of colonial history you got there. It is so hard to hunt a good site out.

HH Jer

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome !!!!!! AMAZING !!!!!

Congrats Romeo on a fantastic day of finds !!! :thumbsup: :occasion14:

HH !

Derek :icon_pirat:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a mix of finds sure to bring a smile to ANY detectorist's face! Well done, both of you!

I can't wait to see the photos of Iron Patch's finds as well.

Regards,

Buckles

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds, Romeo! 8) You're collection just keeps getting better and better! 8)
Many congrats to you! Nana :)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Nice bunch of finds.

I think your a little optimistic about EF or higher, but still a very,very nice coin :icon_sunny:

Get it slabbed.

Yep...I'm an optimist! I am going to get it slabbed...I'll post results...

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible day of hunting. Awesome finds!! :thumbsup: It's a shame somebody drilled that one copper into a washer. :crybaby2:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation's Romeo.....What can you say :thumbsup: I love it all!!

midwest hillbilly

Mar 11, 2007
romeo-1 said:
CRUSADER said:
Nice bunch of finds.

Get it slabbed.

Yep...I'm an optimist! I am going to get it slabbed...I'll post results...

i agree i'am not a coin dr. but that silver is in great shape my 70 year old mercs are worn more than that, great job on the great shape silver!!!!!!! congrads

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
GREAT FINDS BUD !, I am not sure as I dont have my book in the truck with me, but is'nt the 1928 cent you found also a key date ??

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy said:
GREAT FINDS BUD !, I am not sure as I dont have my book in the truck with me, but is'nt the 1928 cent you found also a key date ??

No such luck...I checked!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread