Finds on 29th and 30th

T

Tojoro

Not a lot on the 29th, just $1.99 in clad and pennies. Today only yielded a few cents around the backyard before we headed out on a new project. I have a rather large area to hunt that may or may not ever yield anything decent. My wife's parents have a farm, and way out in back there was an old homestead, barn and workshop. Her grandfather had bought it in the 20's, and people had lived there since the 1870's. The biggest problem is that nothing of the old place remains and the field has been plowed countless times in the last 70 years. That may have kept some things from sinking too far, or may have driven them deeper, who knows. We went today and searched some, found a lot of nails and broken crockery and glass. I found the bottom ring of a shotgun shell about 5 inches down. The metal had "Winchester New Rival" imprinted on it. The backside, around the primer still had some paper from the shell material on it. I did some checking and these shells were made from the late 1800's until around 1920, so there is at least some hope that other small relics may have remained close to the surface. Last year while plowing my father inlaw saw something sticking up out of the ground in the same area I was hunting and picked up one of the old lynch pins that they used to use to couple the railroad cars. My wife liked it out there and would like to go back, so there is one hurdle jumped on the way to getting me an md. ;)

Attachments

• newrival.jpg
    newrival.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal!

Good luck with getting a detector!

HH

Lonewolfe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plowing will probably be good for finding things. Over in England they are forever turning up Roman coins when plowing and have found some very large caches! Interesting site, good luck! JIM

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHH! I know you can't wait till you get to go back!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread