πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Brigade up and Running: Our 2 Cents' Worth--UPDATED

Hello All,

I decided to beat the Tax-Day Blues today by hopping in the car with Rodeo Recon and his girl and getting some Serious housesite hunting done. We pinpointed a spot on the old maps that we wanted to check out--drove to the owner's door, got permission, and got to hunting. The property owner had said "You won't find much there, but knock yourself out. We plowed it for years, and we've plowed up lots of old junk." TRANSLATION: "You probably won't find much Big Iron there, but you might find small goodies like COPPERS since we've plowed it for so long that we've plowed up and tossed out all that INFURIATING Big Iron." ;D So with a smile on our faces, we got to work.

We knew the house was somewhere in a GIANT fallow field covered in tiny purple flowers, and we wanted the opportunity to track it down before the plow. So we started towards the back end of the field and spread out, working our way up toward a small rise.

4-15-08 mystery.jpg

4-15-08 mystery2.jpg

Seeing detectors swinging in such a picturesque spot was a beautiful sight. Here are Rodeo and his Lady again--hard at work:

4-15-08 Rodeo and Girl1 Resized.jpg

Expecting the site to be on top of the rise, we were a little surprised when we started getting some iron signals a little early. But either way let me tell you that those iron signals are music to the ears! Pretty soon, old cooking pot fragments started to come up... Followed by those hallmark items of old house sites: harmonica reeds, suspender clips, and horse-related buckles. After a bit of exploring to determine the perimeters of the artifact dispersal, we set to work right in the thick of things. We started getting a few flat buttons--always a good sign :thumbsup:

I dug a nice suspender clip that I thought I'd share. I still get excited about these when they are complete and in working order.

4-15-08 Rodeo and Girl Resized.jpg

I kept thinking the whole time "There's a coin in here. Somewhere there is a Really Cool find." Then I noticed Rodeo's Girl crouched over, spending a LOT of time looking at something. I said "So I guess you found a Large Cent, right?" and she said "How did you know?" with a smile from ear to ear. Now let me tell you that this girl is a Digging Machine! She got her first detector a month or so ago and with a some rough and tumble training from the Iron Brigade she's turning into a real PRO. 8)
Here's the coin in the dirt:

4-15-08RR2 Resized.jpg

When I got there and looked at the coin, I didn't see much detail. I didn't want to suggest that it was "certainly" a large cent after my last experience with that damned French Franc coin...so I said "It sure as hell *looks* like one!" Rodeo and I were busting with excitement over her first Large Copper recovery. :thumbsup:

So the hunt went on. Rodeo got yet another brass wedding ring. I'm guessing these are pretty common finds for our area, as they have been turning up everywhere. So in the middle of this metal detecting frenzy, I noticed that the batteries in my Fisher were dying fast. ::) (For those who don't own a Fisher, the battery life is SO long that changing batteries is almost like saying goodbye to a whole chapter in your life. :P ) I walked back to the car for the rechargeables while the other two started POUNDING the area. Back at the car while I swigged some Diet Dew and changed out the batteries I nabbed a nice photo of the two of them off in the distance. I like this shot. :)

4-15-08 suspender clip Resized.jpg

When I got back up towards the ridge I took a few swings and locked on a great sounding target. I had gotten a few good hits before, but they had turned out to be shallow brass rivets that sounded pretty danged close to coin signals. So I wasn't entirely convinced that this would be anything better, but I certainly didn't waste any time digging. When I flipped out a shovel-full of dirt, I saw a crusty copper staring me in the face! In my mind (and due to its smaller size) this coin could only be one thing...

4-15-08 mystery copper.jpg

4-15-08 Diggers in the Distance Resized.jpg

Fortunately my intuition was right this time. ;D

4-15-08 2cent in dirt Resized.jpg

An 1864 2-Cent Piece. :thumbsup:

More congratulations and handshakes followed. And we continued to clean the place out. The digging only stops for darkness when we hunt. Luckily we had the site pretty well worked out by then. Here's a few of my finds. The flat button I got bore only a quality mark ("Double Gilt No. 2") and it was absent from this photo for cleaning. Two cent piece is still a little crusty even after peroxide.

4-15-08 2cent resized.jpg

And here's the front and back of the mystery copper that was found today. If you have any ideas about what it is, please post them. I'm totally stumped. It isn't a LC. Not a Rosa Americana or other Colonial. Don in SJ has suggested perhaps a Hard Times Token... I think I can see the word "Culture" on it--or at least the letters "LTURE" It's not a large cent, but it is old. Not much left on the design, but it does have writing on both front and back:

UPDATE: The words on one side are most certainly "AGRICULTURE AND COMMERCE" and there is a floral motif on that side. The reverse we can't tell much about even after cleaning--and may never be able to. :-\ I can see some letters here and there--and it'd be enough to check any further ideas about the token's ID.

4-15-08 two center Resized.jpg

4-15-08 My Finds.jpg

It's been a good spring for the Iron Brigade--despite our ups and downs. I'll certainly miss the "crunch" of last years cornstalks under my feet in the winter fields. During the long summers, those are the kinds of things I dream about.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• 4-15-08 mystery2.jpg
    4-15-08 mystery2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 780
  • 4-15-08 mystery.jpg
    4-15-08 mystery.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 765
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Iron Brigade up and Running: Our 2 Cents' Worth and MORE

BB,
First off, what fantastic pictures you took! Both the scenery and the closeups are great. What a beautiful hunting spot.
Great finds for sure. You'll be gridding that place for a looooooooooooooooooooong time. :thumbsup:
On that unidentified coin/token, I swear I see either "OLTERA" or "OLTURA" on that word. I'm pretty sure there is an "A" at the end, not an "E".
Can't wait to see the answer. :wink:
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
I'm going to do a little research on the coppa in question but dont hold your breath...I haven't the faintest idea where to start :tongue3: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You and me both! I'm totally stumped. :-\ I'm still trying to make out a word or two on the coin... I agree with an earlier member that said that there should be enough there to ID...but since it's not one of the usual "culprits" it makes things more difficult.

I'll check this ID, Evolution and see if it works...Is there a diameter for that token listed, Evo? This coin is 28mm in diameter. And I'll try to get a pencil rubbing of the coin. It's at Rodeo's house right now.

-Buckles

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Evolution said:
I'm going to do a little research on the coppa in question but dont hold your breath...I haven't the faintest idea where to start :tongue3: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You and me both! I'm totally stumped. :-\ I'm still trying to make out a word or two on the coin... I agree with an earlier member that said that there should be enough there to ID...but since it's not one of the usual "culprits" it makes things more difficult.

I'll check this ID, Evolution and see if it works...Is there a diameter for that token listed, Evo? This coin is 28mm in diameter. And I'll try to get a pencil rubbing of the coin. It's at Rodeo's house right now.

-Buckles
This was just a guess BB because I can see much detail on the coin/token. But I figured the word "Agriculture" might fit. The only mention of size at all in this section of the book is this. And I quote....."Hard Times tokens, as they are called, are mostly the size of a contemporary large copper cent". No measurements in mm.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, Evolution.

As I recall, the Braided Hair LC's were 27.5mm... Β If you run across anything else that has writing around the rim on both sides, containing the word "Agriculture" let me know if you wouldn't mind. Β I keep thinking I see scroll work or perhaps a floral design or fleur de lis on that side of the coin--but perhaps that's the corrosion playing tricks on me...

Regards,

Buckleboy

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Thanks, Evolution.

As I recall, the Braided Hair LC's were 27.5mm... If you run across anything else that has writing around the rim on both sides, containing the word "Agriculture" let me know if you wouldn't mind. I keep thinking I see scroll work or perhaps a floral design or fleur de lis on that side of the coin--but perhaps that's the corrosion playing tricks on me...

Regards,

Buckleboy
I'll keep my eye peeled BB. :tard: :icon_cyclops_ani:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
I'll keep my eye peeled BB. :tard: :icon_cyclops_ani:

LOL! Thanks! I'll keep my eye peeled too. :icon_pirat: Arrrrrr!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's another possibility (T. Duseaman, 1837):

T. Duseaman 1837.jpg

A little more likely if I'm seeing the floral pattern I think I'm seeing...The rim is similar too (thicker rim, but smaller denticles) but I still see a distinct curlycue on the coin under the "C" in "CULTURE," and this design doesn't fit the bill either.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Here's another possibility (T. Duseaman, 1837):

Ag copper 2.jpg

A little more likely if I'm seeing the floral pattern I think I'm seeing...The rim is similar too (thicker rim, but smaller denticles) but I still see a distinct curlycue on the coin under the "C" in "CULTURE," and this design doesn't fit the bill either.
Here's whats throwing me off. It's the I N T at least thats what it looks like right here. The Agriculture token I attached doesn't seem to match that. What does the other side of the one you just posted look like?

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Way to go, Buckles for Jesus, on the 1864 two-center. :thumbsup: You are a top-notch hunter...and rasearcher. :thumbsup:

There is probably a Seated half dime in that field.

Keep the fever high, Buck!

Kyle

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution,

I see what you mean...That "T" on the reverse of the photo below is oriented inward and on the reverse of the dug one, it faces out. Also no denticles on the reverse side of the photo below... :-\ So back to the drawing board on my guess...but yours still holds as far as the writing goes. You're right about the "INT" I'm going to stare at that for a while just to make sure that's what it is. It's the design I'm worried about. So I am going to put further research on hold until I post better photos in the meantime. :-\

-Buckleboy

reverse.jpg

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

kindafoundaclue said:
I will get back at it someday.............. Congratulations on the great finds. BTW I expect nothing less from the Iron Brigade!!! ;D ;D

KFB
I'll let you have your XLT back if it will get you out here hunting with us again.We sure miss your humor...and your gas. poof!!!

Will you done good my friend,I'm glad your able to get out and enjoy the nice weather we've been having.congrats on the 2 cent piece.Hopefully you will get the token identified for Rodeo's girl.I'm gonna ttry and geet some time to go hit it with you guys.maybe tomorrow. ;D

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on those great finds BB :thumbsup:
Great pics and post.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UPDATE: The copper token certainly says "AGRICULTURE AND COMMERCE" on one side--and it appears that there is a floral motif on that side as well. The other side we can't tell much about--several letters here and there, but not much in the way of consecutive ones.

Here's a better photo or two of the 2 center cleaned up. Still pretty crusty on the front, but the reverse turned out better:

4-15-08 My Finds 002.jpg

2c Cleaned.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions