🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Brigade up and Running: Our 2 Cents' Worth--UPDATED

Hello All,

I decided to beat the Tax-Day Blues today by hopping in the car with Rodeo Recon and his girl and getting some Serious housesite hunting done. We pinpointed a spot on the old maps that we wanted to check out--drove to the owner's door, got permission, and got to hunting. The property owner had said "You won't find much there, but knock yourself out. We plowed it for years, and we've plowed up lots of old junk." TRANSLATION: "You probably won't find much Big Iron there, but you might find small goodies like COPPERS since we've plowed it for so long that we've plowed up and tossed out all that INFURIATING Big Iron." ;D So with a smile on our faces, we got to work.

We knew the house was somewhere in a GIANT fallow field covered in tiny purple flowers, and we wanted the opportunity to track it down before the plow. So we started towards the back end of the field and spread out, working our way up toward a small rise.

4-15-08 mystery.jpg

4-15-08 mystery2.jpg

Seeing detectors swinging in such a picturesque spot was a beautiful sight. Here are Rodeo and his Lady again--hard at work:

4-15-08 Rodeo and Girl1 Resized.jpg

Expecting the site to be on top of the rise, we were a little surprised when we started getting some iron signals a little early. But either way let me tell you that those iron signals are music to the ears! Pretty soon, old cooking pot fragments started to come up... Followed by those hallmark items of old house sites: harmonica reeds, suspender clips, and horse-related buckles. After a bit of exploring to determine the perimeters of the artifact dispersal, we set to work right in the thick of things. We started getting a few flat buttons--always a good sign :thumbsup:

I dug a nice suspender clip that I thought I'd share. I still get excited about these when they are complete and in working order.

4-15-08 Rodeo and Girl Resized.jpg

I kept thinking the whole time "There's a coin in here. Somewhere there is a Really Cool find." Then I noticed Rodeo's Girl crouched over, spending a LOT of time looking at something. I said "So I guess you found a Large Cent, right?" and she said "How did you know?" with a smile from ear to ear. Now let me tell you that this girl is a Digging Machine! She got her first detector a month or so ago and with a some rough and tumble training from the Iron Brigade she's turning into a real PRO. 8)
Here's the coin in the dirt:

4-15-08RR2 Resized.jpg

When I got there and looked at the coin, I didn't see much detail. I didn't want to suggest that it was "certainly" a large cent after my last experience with that damned French Franc coin...so I said "It sure as hell *looks* like one!" Rodeo and I were busting with excitement over her first Large Copper recovery. :thumbsup:

So the hunt went on. Rodeo got yet another brass wedding ring. I'm guessing these are pretty common finds for our area, as they have been turning up everywhere. So in the middle of this metal detecting frenzy, I noticed that the batteries in my Fisher were dying fast. ::) (For those who don't own a Fisher, the battery life is SO long that changing batteries is almost like saying goodbye to a whole chapter in your life. :P ) I walked back to the car for the rechargeables while the other two started POUNDING the area. Back at the car while I swigged some Diet Dew and changed out the batteries I nabbed a nice photo of the two of them off in the distance. I like this shot. :)

4-15-08 suspender clip Resized.jpg

When I got back up towards the ridge I took a few swings and locked on a great sounding target. I had gotten a few good hits before, but they had turned out to be shallow brass rivets that sounded pretty danged close to coin signals. So I wasn't entirely convinced that this would be anything better, but I certainly didn't waste any time digging. When I flipped out a shovel-full of dirt, I saw a crusty copper staring me in the face! In my mind (and due to its smaller size) this coin could only be one thing...

4-15-08 mystery copper.jpg

4-15-08 Diggers in the Distance Resized.jpg

Fortunately my intuition was right this time. ;D

4-15-08 2cent in dirt Resized.jpg

An 1864 2-Cent Piece. :thumbsup:

More congratulations and handshakes followed. And we continued to clean the place out. The digging only stops for darkness when we hunt. Luckily we had the site pretty well worked out by then. Here's a few of my finds. The flat button I got bore only a quality mark ("Double Gilt No. 2") and it was absent from this photo for cleaning. Two cent piece is still a little crusty even after peroxide.

4-15-08 2cent resized.jpg

And here's the front and back of the mystery copper that was found today. If you have any ideas about what it is, please post them. I'm totally stumped. It isn't a LC. Not a Rosa Americana or other Colonial. Don in SJ has suggested perhaps a Hard Times Token... I think I can see the word "Culture" on it--or at least the letters "LTURE" It's not a large cent, but it is old. Not much left on the design, but it does have writing on both front and back:

UPDATE: The words on one side are most certainly "AGRICULTURE AND COMMERCE" and there is a floral motif on that side. The reverse we can't tell much about even after cleaning--and may never be able to. :-\ I can see some letters here and there--and it'd be enough to check any further ideas about the token's ID.

4-15-08 two center Resized.jpg

4-15-08 My Finds.jpg

It's been a good spring for the Iron Brigade--despite our ups and downs. I'll certainly miss the "crunch" of last years cornstalks under my feet in the winter fields. During the long summers, those are the kinds of things I dream about.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• 4-15-08 mystery2.jpg
    4-15-08 mystery2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 780
  • 4-15-08 mystery.jpg
    4-15-08 mystery.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 765
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IRON BRIGADE BACK UP AND RUNNING: 2 OLD COPPERS = 3 CENTS

Great finds and GREAT Pics Will!!! That looks like a wonderful spot to find some nice relics at. I went to a new spot this past weekend that had a wonderful Confederate redoubt preserved on the side of a lake in the woods..The spot has been rumored to have been "hit" hard but I had to find out for myself.....>And YES indeed, it WAS hit hard and the ground was silent night ;D I did find a couple fired minies in Suffolk the day before but havent had time to post them....Sure would have been nice to find a token or copper. Good JOB Bud!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
Great finds and GREAT Pics Will!!! That looks like a wonderful spot to find some nice relics at. I went to a new spot this past weekend that had a wonderful Confederate redoubt preserved on the side of a lake in the woods..The spot has been rumored to have been "hit" hard but I had to find out for myself.....>And YES indeed, it WAS hit hard and the ground was silent night ;D I did find a couple fired minies in Suffolk the day before but havent had time to post them....Sure would have been nice to find a token or copper. Good JOB Bud!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks for the reply, buddy! We've had a bit of a dry spell but now is better than never. I knew it was only a matter of time. Are you going to use a photo of Kirby Smith for your next avatar? :wink: ;D Great Southerner there too. Battle of Richmond, KY was a feather in his cap.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
{Sentinel} said:

Thanks for the reply, buddy! We've had a bit of a dry spell but now is better than never. I knew it was only a matter of time. Are you going to use a photo of Kirby Smith for your next avatar? :wink: ;D Great Southerner there too. Battle of Richmond, KY was a feather in his cap.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

HAHA Kirby Smith WAS a great Southerner INDEED! I have only ever used Jesse James and Walter Taylor for my avatars, both of which have significance to me.....I decided to add E. Porter Alexander as he is from my home state of Georgia and a brilliant man that I have admired for a long time. He will be the last one I think that I will use....>Dont want to get too many so that people get confused...but I must say this is a great way for people to ask me "Who is that?" which keeps them alive in some small way. :wink: :wink:

P.S.-for all my Northern buddies on the forum. I have alot of respect for many Northern Southerners! Yes, indeed, Northerners who fought on the side of the South. One such individual was General John C. Pemberton of Pennsylvania who was the commanding general at Vicksburg.....Although he was forced to surrender his force, much of the fault was not his own but Gen. Joe Johnston's.. who was suppose to join up with his forces before Grant laid siege! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Tim (PA)

Oct 26, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
XLT
Re: IRON BRIGADE BACK UP AND RUNNING: 2 COPPERS = 3 CENTS

Nice copper and 2 center... :thumbsup:

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Re: IRON BRIGADE BACK UP AND RUNNING: 2 COPPERS = 3 CENTS

There are enough letters (Latin?) on that large coin that someone here ought to be able to i.d. it.

Great find, and nice 2-center, too!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Re: IRON BRIGADE BACK UP AND RUNNING: OUR 2 CENTS' WORTH AND MORE

Great hunt, great photos. Awesome finds, congrats to you all!
Glenn

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Iron Brigade up and Running: Our 2 Cents' Worth and MORE

Your next sweep will bring you a King George coppa! :wink: :D

Awesome digs, dude! :) Great rasearch! :wink: :) :thumbsup:

I love the pics! :thumbsup: Keep them coming, man! :thumbsup:

Kirk

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice 2 center BB

HH Jer

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will get back at it someday.............. Congratulations on the great finds. BTW I expect nothing less from the Iron Brigade!!! ;D ;D

KFB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kindafoundaclue said:
I will get back at it someday.............. Congratulations on the great finds. BTW I expect nothing less from the Iron Brigade!!! ;D ;D

KFB

You better get back at it soon, buddy! Only another week or so and the fields will be plowed! How's your Sunday lookin? We miss ya, KFB. Come back to the fold. Get that Fisher a-swingin!

-Buckles

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BB, great post! I love your photos. . . get's the datectin' blood pumping. . . (I may just have to get out to the forest this morning)

I'm surprised there wasn't a hole in that 2-center :D. . . great stuff!

HH!
watercolor

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Congrats to all three of you!

Great pics Will, as always, musta been a freaking great day... :thumbsup:

No clue on yer coin...good luck!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Congrats, BuckleBoy, on your 2-Center, and on taking those great pics of the purple field.

With the looks of a field that large, it would seem hard to have it worked out in a day's hunting. I bet there's another copper or two still hiding there.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
Congrats, BuckleBoy, on your 2-Center, and on taking those great pics of the purple field.

With the looks of a field that large, it would seem hard to have it worked out in a day's hunting.  I bet there's another copper or two still hiding there.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan,

The house site finds in fields like these are generally confined to a smaller area--an area that was once fenced in as "yard" or at least saw the great majority of the foot traffic around the house.  That's why we feel that finding the first "hot spot" isn't good enough.  We have to get a sense of the site first--and find the boundaries after which the iron signals--as well as the finds--taper off dramatically.  It is quite impossible to do this after working the site heavily.  Of course a coin can be dropped anywhere in a farmer's fields...but these are like needles in the haystack in a field this size.  So we first pinpoint the house...and if we feel that there are still occasional finds made on out from that spot then we certainly canvass that area working three to five detectorists spread out as we traverse the field.  Many times, we walk in and out of the areas producing relics and coins trying to get an idea of where the house sat in the middle of a field that bears no trace of a foundation or anything.  Then we pretty much get down to the "meat and potatoes" of the hunt--working the housesite itself.  Sometimes we stumble on a barn site first--which can take up part of our time...but those spots deserve searching too, and it tells us we're close to the house site even though we know from the kinds of things we're finding that we are on a barn instead.  So in reply, this field isn't "worked out" of course--I'm sure that there are some "random drops" somewhere in the field...but it would take a hunt with 20 detectorists to thoroughly search a field that big.  If we can get a team of Tnetters together, they're more than welcome to take a tour of such fields--we have many of them that might have needle in a haystack finds somewhere...the fields are just so big that we have realized through trial and error that we have to find the spot first.  Otherwise it can be pretty overwhelming.  Just takes patience and self-control to find the spot--figure out if it was the house or some other outbuilding site, find the parameters of the artifact distribution, and only then start the serious gridding.  I'm the type of guy that can't sleep at night unless I'm certain that I had worked a site out pretty darned well--but fields this big--with no sense of where old fence rows were--are a little much for a team this size (and in my experience, the finds farther away from the housesite are quite thin). 

Regards,

Buckleboy

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt and nicely written up for the post. I like that pic of the purple field too. Must be way out in the boonies. No center line in the road!! At least its not a dirt road. Congrats to all on the hunt. I'm going to do a little research on the coppa in question but dont hold your breath...I haven't the faintest idea where to start :tongue3: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What about his one BB? Agriculture copper. L66 HT24 Page 373 in the 2008 Red Book. Value is as follows....VF--$200 EF--$275...AU--$700. If thats what it is its a nice find. I just cant quite make out enough detail to really tell. Hope this helps.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 544

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer

Nice going guys, Hey can you do a pencil etching of the coppa I have an idea but pretty vague right now.
Thanks, Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread