1856 Napoleon III Dix Centimes

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
1856 Napoleon III Dix Centimes

Working the new area where I found 4 silver coins and a silver ring the day before,yesterday the ACE250 rang out as a strong quarter signal at 4"(getting excited thinking it may be another large cent or silver quarter) this coin popped out..a bit larger than a LC.

it's a French 1856 Napoleon III 10 cent piece-- I looked it up on the net some sites say it is copper but most say it's bronze,so Bronze was the majority and I'll go with that. Also found the usual clad approx. $4.85(which will go for gas)

My oldest foreign coin to date

HH
Shawn

Attachments

• SS850168.jpg
    SS850168.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3,326
  • SS850169.jpg
    SS850169.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 3,408
Upvote 0

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Re: 1856 Napoleon III Dix Centimes

UnEarthed

Great find, have you looked up the value yet? Keep up the great detecting.

49er

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

49er not really i did see one selling on EBay for $10.00(better condition than mine is in)

most of the sites i saw were in french...and the only french word i know has dressing or fries on the end ..lol
maybe someone here will post a good foreign coin site or two or knows a little about it

Shawn

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the M on the back below the eagle is the mint mark ( TOULOUSE) just thought you like to know -- coins from some mints were minted in low numbers and are rare and thus worth a bit more than the more common types mint marks -- a lot like "cc" carson city silver dollars are here in the states.---your local library might have a world book of coins 1800 to 1900 which should list it --while prices change yearly -- checking it out will let you know if it one of the rare low numbers minted type or not -- cool find either way --- I found a holed 1863 one in a local coins stores 10 cent scrap box = while getting a few merc dimes to donate to my detector clubs -- kid hunt next month --gave to a freind to make a necklace charm -- Ivan

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

Found one one of those last year..... mine had a hole drilled in it...... like to wear as a necklace..... kinda cool what you might dig up....

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

ivan salis said:
the M on the back below the eagle is the mint mark ( TOULOUSE) just thought you like to know -- coins from some mints were minted in low numbers and are rare and thus worth a bit more than the more common types mint marks -- a lot like "cc" carson city silver dollars are here in the states.---your local library might have a world book of coins 1800 to 1900 which should list it --while prices change yearly -- checking it out will let you know if it one of the rare low numbers minted type or not -- cool find either way --- I found a holed 1863 one in a local coins stores 10 cent scrap box = while getting a few merc dimes to donate to my detector clubs -- kid hunt next month --gave to a freind to make a necklace charm -- Ivan

thanks for the info Ivan

i found a site and it's actually an M over A mint mark...kinda hard to see the A on the right half of the M

http://translate.google.com/transla...q=dix+centimes&hl=en&rlz=1T4GWYE_enUS264US264

you have to hit next page to see the price for the 1856 MA

xGregx

Feb 13, 2008
Elkhart,In
Detector(s) used
-=XP Deus=-At Pro=-

UnEarthed72 said:
49er not really i did see one selling on EBay for $10.00(better condition than mine is in)

most of the sites i saw were in french...and the only french word i know has dressing or fries on the end ..lol
maybe someone here will post a good foreign coin site or two or knows a little about it

Shawn

French Toast !!

;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

1856 MA is marseille france mint mark --correct --- toulouse was M plain --the A is hard to see bad eyes not as good as they once were -- still a 7 to 20 buck coin --nice find

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very neat find, Congrats!!!
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

xGregx said:
UnEarthed72 said:

Shawn

French Toast !!

;D

Ahh yes can't forget about french toast :thumbsup:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cool find Shawn!

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

Very cool Shawn, you will have to tell me more about this site, it sounds like a good spot with an old find like that!
HH,
Donny

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

djabend said:
Very cool Shawn, you will have to tell me more about this site, it sounds like a good spot with an old find like that!
HH,
Donny

it's not a III cent piece lol...but still a cool find

We'll have a hunt over on this side soon,I'm in the process of getting permission for a few out in the woods foundations,an old stone flour mill,a still standing all field stone 1800's glass factory and some other really cool sites--as well as the site I'm at right now...i just want us to have some variety so we can go from place to place

Shawn

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

dix is french for ten --centimes is french for cents --( so its ten cents ) emperor napoloen III (the third) was napoleons "grandson" -- oddly he was both the first "president" of france and the last emperor of france.

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who looked at my post,as well as helping out with an I.D. and coin info.

HH
Shawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread