Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jun 2007
    THE EMPIRE STATE
    ACE 250,Whites prism2
    1 times

1856 Napoleon III Dix Centimes

Working the new area where I found 4 silver coins and a silver ring the day before,yesterday the ACE250 rang out as a strong quarter signal at 4"(getting excited thinking it may be another large cent or silver quarter) this coin popped out..a bit larger than a LC.

it's a French 1856 Napoleon III 10 cent piece-- I looked it up on the net some sites say it is copper but most say it's bronze,so Bronze was the majority and I'll go with that. Also found the usual clad approx. $4.85(which will go for gas)

My oldest foreign coin to date

HH
    Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS850168.jpg 
Views:	2451 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	198244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS850169.jpg 
Views:	2456 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	198245  
    I kept on digging the hole deeper and deeper looking for the treasure chest until I finally lifted my head, looked up and realized that I had dug my own grave.
    Author: Sir John Denham

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Feb 2005
    Sun City, Arizona
    Whites..MXT..GMT

Re: 1856 Napoleon III Dix Centimes

UnEarthed

Great find, have you looked up the value yet? Keep up the great detecting.

49er
    Thank a Veteran

Jun 2007
    THE EMPIRE STATE
    ACE 250,Whites prism2
    1 times

49er not really i did see one selling on EBay for $10.00(better condition than mine is in)

most of the sites i saw were in french...and the only french word i know has dressing or fries on the end ..lol
    maybe someone here will post a good foreign coin site or two or knows a little about it

Shawn
    I kept on digging the hole deeper and deeper looking for the treasure chest until I finally lifted my head, looked up and realized that I had dug my own grave.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    627 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

the M on the back below the eagle is the mint mark ( TOULOUSE) just thought you like to know -- coins from some mints were minted in low numbers and are rare and thus worth a bit more than the more common types mint marks -- a lot like "cc" carson city silver dollars are here in the states.---your local library might have a world book of coins 1800 to 1900 which should list it --while prices change yearly -- checking it out will let you know if it one of the rare low numbers minted type or not -- cool find either way --- I found a holed 1863 one in a local coins stores 10 cent scrap box = while getting a few merc dimes to donate to my detector clubs -- kid hunt next month --gave to a freind to make a necklace charm -- Ivan

Mar 2007
    south central ohio
    White's Spectrum XLT
    11 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Found one one of those last year..... mine had a hole drilled in it...... like to wear as a necklace..... kinda cool what you might dig up....

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    54 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

awesome find...
    ALLEN

Jun 2007
    THE EMPIRE STATE
    ACE 250,Whites prism2
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis
    the M on the back below the eagle is the mint mark ( TOULOUSE) just thought you like to know -- coins from some mints were minted in low numbers and are rare and thus worth a bit more than the more common types mint marks -- a lot like "cc" carson city silver dollars are here in the states.---your local library might have a world book of coins 1800 to 1900 which should list it --while prices change yearly -- checking it out will let you know if it one of the rare low numbers minted type or not -- cool find either way --- I found a holed 1863 one in a local coins stores 10 cent scrap box = while getting a few merc dimes to donate to my detector clubs -- kid hunt next month --gave to a freind to make a necklace charm -- Ivan
    thanks for the info Ivan

i found a site and it's actually an M over A mint mark...kinda hard to see the A on the right half of the M

http://translate.google.com/translat...E_enUS264US264

you have to hit next page to see the price for the 1856 MA

us
    Feb 2008
    Elkhart,In
    -=Etrac=-
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by UnEarthed72
    49er not really i did see one selling on EBay for $10.00(better condition than mine is in)

most of the sites i saw were in french...and the only french word i know has dressing or fries on the end ..lol
    maybe someone here will post a good foreign coin site or two or knows a little about it

Shawn
    French Toast !!

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    627 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

1856 MA is marseille france mint mark --correct --- toulouse was M plain --the A is hard to see bad eyes not as good as they once were -- still a 7 to 20 buck coin --nice find

us
    Jul 2004
    Indy
    Cz3d

Very neat find, Congrats!!!
    Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Jun 2007
    THE EMPIRE STATE
    ACE 250,Whites prism2
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by xGregx
    Quote Originally Posted by UnEarthed72

Shawn
    French Toast !!

Ahh yes can't forget about french toast

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    39 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Very nice. and the only french I want is "french maid"

us
    Your best find is still in the ground somewhere

Jan 2007
    Hazelwood, MO
    White's Prizm II
    1 times

Cool find Shawn!

WTG
    Nat

us
    Best find 1817 Large Cent

Dec 2006
    Chittenango, NY
    White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
    7 times

Very cool Shawn, you will have to tell me more about this site, it sounds like a good spot with an old find like that!
    HH,
    Donny
    "All I ask for are back roads lined with cellar holes and a Prius to drive them with."

Jun 2007
    THE EMPIRE STATE
    ACE 250,Whites prism2
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by djabend
    Very cool Shawn, you will have to tell me more about this site, it sounds like a good spot with an old find like that!
    HH,
    Donny
    it's not a III cent piece lol...but still a cool find

We'll have a hunt over on this side soon,I'm in the process of getting permission for a few out in the woods foundations,an old stone flour mill,a still standing all field stone 1800's glass factory and some other really cool sites--as well as the site I'm at right now...i just want us to have some variety so we can go from place to place

Shawn

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    627 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

dix is french for ten --centimes is french for cents --( so its ten cents ) emperor napoloen III (the third) was napoleons "grandson" -- oddly he was both the first "president" of france and the last emperor of france.

Oct 2007
    NW PA
    XLT

Splendid find

us
    Dec 2007
    Chicago and Florida Keys
    Matrix M-6, Bounty Hunter, Fisher CZ-21 and Pistol Probe Pinpointer.
    1 times

Nice find!

Very cool coin! WTG!

Jun 2007
    THE EMPIRE STATE
    ACE 250,Whites prism2
    1 times

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who looked at my post,as well as helping out with an I.D. and coin info.

HH
    Shawn

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors