Double Gilt Button & Horse Stirrup

Midnightrider08

Mar 9, 2008
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Double Gilt Button & Horse Stirrup

Just got back from the foundation . Found a nice button in the yard about 15-20 feet from foundation. I cleaned it up and it says double gilt on the back with some arrows it looks like. The little tab thing on back broke off on me. Kinda upset at myself for that. It is a flat button I think brass but unsure.

Then we found a horse stirrup or atleast that what i think it is . The thing you put your foot in when you get up onto a horse.

More nails as well . Would have stayed longer but after the button and stirrup thing I figured I wouldn't press my luck for the day.

If I was happy yesterday , I'm excited today. I had to come home and sit for a spell.

Does anyone know anything about that button without looking at it ? I'll have pics up this weekend.

Happy Hunting & I absolutely love this site and thank you all for making it what it is.

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Double Gilt Button & Horse Stirrup

If it is a flat button with the backmark you describe it is likely from the late 1700's or early 1800's. I remember your description of this foundation site and this date range seems most likely considering the age of your site. I wouldnt mind seeing a picture of that stirrup. I found one from the late 1700's last year. I'm interested to see if its of a similar type. Nice finds.. :thumbsup: Hunting old foundations can be addicting. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions