No Silver Today, But Dig Get a Few Oldies!! Copper Cameo Ring, V, Injun...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

I went out detecting this morning with my buddy, Mike(oknorm) to our heavily hunted Orange County park in hopes of finding a few oldies amongst the 300+ year old oak trees. After Mike found his barber quarter in this area a couple days ago, we felt excited to know that if we had missed that coin all the previous trips there, maybe there would be a few more still hiding. We also decided to dig more low conductors in hopes of finding an old gold ring, V nickel, or buffalo. I dug quite a few pulltabs(old and new), beaver tails, and ring tabs. More than usual. Within about 15 minutes after arriving, Mike showed me the hole where he dug his barber quarter. No more than a minute later, I'm pulling up a great looking '02 V nickel. A few minutes after that, I got a zinc sounding signal on top of the ground and it turned out to be a semi-key '15 S wheatback. After getting tired of digging pull-tab signals, we moved to an area where a 400 year old oak tree stood. About 20 ft. from the tree I dig an old copper(probably silver plated) cameo ring. It sounded like a nickel (low). I think it's from the turn of the century. Probably a sad day for the little girl who lost her ring at the park. :'( The cameo looks to be made from ivory or bone. Right next to the cameo ring, I hear a deeper zinc penny tone. I was hoping it was an Indian head, and sure enough it was. An 1899.

So, even though I didn't find any silver today, I'm still happy that both Mike and I were able to pull yet more old coins/relics from our pounded park.

Mike had another barber day, but I'll let him tell you about it. Great hunt day Mike. That park never ceases to amaze me after detecting it countless times.

Thanks for looking everyone.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2628_sm.jpg
    IMG_2628_sm.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 498
  • V_Nick_041708.jpg
    V_Nick_041708.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 514
  • CameoRing_041708.jpg
    CameoRing_041708.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 509
  • Indian99_041708.jpg
    Indian99_041708.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cameo ring is a very cool find Dan and the V cleaned up pretty nicely for you. Congrats man. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Master Sarge said:
Hey Captain SE

So the V nickel is not silver?

Metal content:
Copper - 75%
Nickel - 25%

SE...NO SILVER...

Has the earth stopped rotating on it's axis... :wink: :D ;D

Nice coinage...

Rock On...

Nick

Thanks, Nick!! Yeah, I threw a curveball today...I knew my "No Silver" Post was going to get heads turning .. ;D ;D

Thanks Rob. Yes, the V-nickel cleaned up real nice with a little vinegar and salt.

MasterSarge, Nick is right on. No silver in the V, even though it looks silver.

CAPTN SE

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET cameo ring Dan. Isn't is amazing how pounded places keep producing? I'm huntin' this weekend. I tried to get off work both Wednesday AND Thursday. My reward....I got NEITHER day off ;D
This weekend...I'm huntin'...rain or shine :thumbsup:

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds Captn Dan - love that cameo ring

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Dan nice going on the finds...I like the v nickel. Pretty soon I will be sending you a few more questions on the Se. I have the pinpointing down 100%, been working on the settings and been putting in between 9 and 15 hours a week with it since the beginning of March.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
OH YEAH ~ that's some great finds there! You always pull out some great items!

That's cool you found a 1915-S Wheat cent! Ron & I have both dug a 1915-S Wheat cent this month too!

Keep up the good work!

Neil

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds Dan---That ring is sweet and the V is in fine shape :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some neat old stuff there, I like the V nickel, lots of detail left!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are still some great finds. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread