George Washington Inaugural Button?????????

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Forum:

Hey, guys, to get to the point of my post, I hit the "Old Colonial Road" site yesterday. While I was detecting, the farmers were plowing the fields and I was detecting. :D But, here comes the GREAT part. :wink:

I was detecting in an area where Colonials have been found and I came across a button. It wasn't an ordinary button, dudes! :wink: Since this field treats buttons and coins very bad, the button is BARELY identifiable...BUT, I, seriously, can see details...it is a George Washington button!!! It is 26.6 mm in diameter and even though a lot of George Washingtons buttons are about 33 mm in diameter, there were ones even smaller.

In the pic, it is verrrrrry hard to see though, but you can see the "dots" surrounding the edge of the artifact...typical of George Washington buttons! :thumbsup: Also, with the naked eye, I can see parts of the legs and wings, but like I said before, it is very hard to see. Seriously, it is a George Washington button, BABY! :thumbsup:

Check out pics of these buttons and notice the dots around the edges. Mine has them and I can also see parts of the eagle! :thumbsup: I found one, BABY! I am in the club!!!! :thumbsup:

Oh, I also found 3 musketballs and some flint! :thumbsup:

Keep sweeping with the passion! :thumbsup:

Kirk

P.S. The button read at 45-50 VDI...typical for brass targets! :thumbsup:

GW003.jpg

GW007.jpg

Upvote 0

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button!!!

Congrats, but I'm gonna have to take your word for it cause I can't really identify anything other than the ridge around the outside. I do know from experience though that often things can be seen in person that just don't show up in photos - dunno if it has to do with the lighting or the angle of viewing it or whatever.

Always fun seeing really old stuff!

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008

I guess I will watch this thread and see what others think of the chances that it is what you believe it to be. I have a very hard time seeing any detail, but then I'm old and my eye sight is failing me.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hit it with a wire brush and see if you can bring out some more detail bro. :D Maybe if you take a pic of it while it's wet you'll get some more detail to show. That is a great find if its a GW bud!! :thumbsup: As the great KirkPa would say.....If it aint colonial....We dont want it!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

Are you going to try cleaning it? You might be able to remove the green crud with peroxide and some careful toothpick work. Congrats on the find!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

i hope it turns out to be what you think it is .... that would be incredible !!!!!

kevin

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i almost want to say i can see part of the left wing but i honestly cant be sure. i sure do hope its a washington button.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008

I checked the link's buttons to your button and came to the conclusion that there is more detail on the board you have it sitting on. But then my eyesight isn't all that good anymore, getting older has its effects. Thanks for posting it.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon

Wow! Man you are on a roll this spring. I'm waiting for you to pull up a box full of PA Long Rifles in mint condition. My paw-in-law lives in PA near Kutztown. He used to find copper coins on a farm he worked at. Maybe I should take a trip and go hunt that farm. I need to get in on some of this action! Congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I definitely see an eagle on it!

Kirk

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Looks awesome.......nice find

Cheers!

Dugholes

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alright Kirk! That is a helluva nice button to find and pretty rare these days no matter what condition! It is kinda tough to make out the detail from the picture but I know in person that it is always much easier to see. That spot has definitely paid off!!! :wink:

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

After staring at it for quite awhile I am definitely starting to see some of the details on it, especially the area of the left wing.

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

incajoe said:
After staring at it for quite awhile I am definitely starting to see some of the details on it, especially the area of the left wing.

YES! That is part of the upper wing. It is easier to see in person! It definitely isn't a typical 1700s flat button. It has to be a GW!!! :thumbsup:

Kirk

Rebel8

Jan 1, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's V3i , MX Sport

Kirk, congrats!. You might consider electrolysis. I just cleaned an eagle button in similar shape, and it is coming along nicely.

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

YO KIRK , GREAT FIND..........THE J.S. FARM IS A HOT LITTLE SPOT........THAT WILL GO GREAT WITH YOUR WASHINGTON HALF CENT..............YEA BABY.....PACO

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am looking and looking but it is really hard to make out. How did it look before you cleaned it? When it had dirt on it.
I find sometimes it's better not to clean a coin or button that is really hard to read. Cleaning it in tap water usually makes the item even harder to read. Salt is bad for any copper coin and tap water has salt in it, that's what makes the water soft.

Hope you button is a GW button. Anyway you look at it, you have an awesome site. Better go back and hit it again and again.

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread