Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
My first "Dandy" Button!

Nothing special, with 5 more buttons from the "button field" today. I have now found 24 buttons at the site, along with the 1809 Half Cent (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,151437.0.html). This one appears to be a "Dandy" button, which were popular in the 1790's, if I remember correctly. All 24 of the buttons were found in a small area inside a huge field which has only yielded the one coin. The field is remarkably free of trash; the only targets being buttons. I also picked up as many ticks so this may be my last trip there until the late fall.

Attachments

• P4180002.JPG
    P4180002.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 444
Upvote 0

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Re: My first "Dandy" Button!

That is a "dandy" of a button............sorry.......I had too....... :tongue3:

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

I love dandy buttons. I only found one in my short Colonial hunting career.

Kyle

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice button. It's always a bonus when you get one with a design on it. :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats Neil on your first Large Colonial button, I'm sure more to follow, they are readily available at the sites in Southern New Jersey. They are always a thrill and disappointment to find. The thrill is that they almost always have a design on them and their age is colonial to early Federal period, so old coins are always associated with them. The disappointment is the fact that you were hoping for a large copper and it was a button. :-\

Here are some of mine I have found over the years, not sure how many my son has found, but I'm sure he has a fair amount also from the same sites we hunt together. Until I really cleaned them, I was surprised that just about every one of them that I thought were just plain large flat buttons had designs on them, sometimes they really had to be super cleaned, the ones I soaked in Olive Oil my first 15 years or so of detecting were the hardest ones now to clean the rest of the dirt off.

Again, good luck in getting number 2,3,4 and more. :)

Don

Attachments

• LargeColonialButtons.jpg
    LargeColonialButtons.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 293

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread