Civil War relic hunt in MAINE !! A Button was my goal !!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get awlfuly jealous looking at all the beautiful and historic posts of you T netters who are lucky enough 2 be able to hunt civil war sites. But all is not lost!! A little research turned up a site where I get To hunt civil war relics right here in my own little maine city!! A maine state arsenal was built here in 1839. When the civil war broke out barracks were built there to house and equip the recruits! My goal was a civil war button!!! Hit it for 4 hours this morning. This site has been hunted by other M.Ders and the old dump has been thourghly dug up by the bottle diggers! I did not find a button this morning But I will go back!!

Attachments

• civil war relic hunt.jpg
    civil war relic hunt.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job just stick at it. Those are the one exceptions to the rule as it were. Those recruiting and training camps where the troops would be trained at before being marched off to Washington are the saving grace for Northern states that did not see any action during the War between the States. You have a good chance of digging you up a Maine State Seal button or a General Service. Good luck and nice finds.

Lamont.Scraps

Jan 8, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Keep that goal you will get it one day! Buttons are small and easily walked over! Hunt that area hard, every day you will dig something new over a spot you thought you covered already...Keep at it :thumbsup: !

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds! What is the big square thing at the top of the photo?

ted750

Aug 20, 2006
Wait a minute.... You found a FREAKING POCKET WATCH, and allll that other great stuff and you're STILL not satisfied? Wow, you have high standards, but I know what it's like to have your mind set on a certain goal, like when I went to Sebastian Florida, I found a bunch of 1800's american coins, Indians, seated, etc, stuff that would make some metal detectorists green with envy, but I was still in a huff on the plane ride home because I went home lacking A COB!

I wish you the best of luck on your hunt, just keep at it. In fact, I'm electrolysis-ing (?) a hunk of metal that I dug up at a local beach today and it's irregularly shaped and has silver edges!!!! I'm about to make a post about it, I don't know for sure, but it looks like I might not have had to go to Florida at all....

HH!

- Ted

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rabajohn said:
Cool finds! What is the big square thing at the top of the photo?
I have not quite figured out what the ornate iron piece is yet? on the back it has some locking mechanism but the front has no place too insert a key ?? Perhaps I should post it on what is it !!

Attachments

• chest clasp (2).jpg
    chest clasp (2).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 297
  • chest clasp (2).jpg
    chest clasp (2).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 292

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the research and nice finds!! Where are you in Maine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread