Hudson River Finds

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
Great day at the Hudson River in NY. I walked about 5 miles searching the shoreline of the scenic riverfront. The sword handle was intact 2 pieces with some of the steel blade. Iwent home to clean my finds and had lost the lower half of the sword on the trails somewhere but I am going back today to look. Its nice to get 300 years of coins and relics other than the usual junk in 1 afternoon.

Attachments

• Hudson River.jpg
    Hudson River.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 635
  • sword handle.jpg
    sword handle.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 572
  • copper coin 2.jpg
    copper coin 2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 548
  • badge.jpg
    badge.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!

Nice finds!

Hope you find the sword!

HH

Lonewolfe

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
That is VERY nice! The handle is spectacular, that would surely make my day! Good luck on your next hunt!

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Pretty neat stuff!! Were you able to make out the dates on any of the older coins?

PS. Are you sure that isn't a cane handle? It is really short to be a sword handle... The "blade" could have just been metal covering the top part of the wood...

N

nutso

Over by me the banks of the Hudson are all posted land and no one has given me permission yet.

J

JackRussell

i agree its to short for a sword handle but i think its a cane handle..

F

Floater

Where on the river are you? Those are great finds. I plan on doing some hunting upstate near there and on the canals. HH

OP
OP
submerged

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
This is definately a sword pommel under the mouth is a hole where the foible finger guard starts I dug the entire handle with 4" of blade possibly officers sword and dates around 1770 just search (revolutionary eagle pommels). Found near Port Ewen.

Attachments

• sword handle.jpg
    sword handle.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 370
  • sword handle.jpg
    sword handle.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 355

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could possiblly be a cain sword? Many a well heeled gentleman carried a sword cain for self defense should the need arise and the handle wouldn't have been very large or heavy like a normal sword. JIM

N

nutso

Floater: I believe most of the canals are designated Historic sites. At least along Rt 4 I know they are, I have seen the signs. All of Schuylerville and Victory Mills are Off limits. Unless property owners give you permission. Alot of Battles fought there. I've had no luck getting permission so far. But you've got such a handsome mug, maybe you'd have better luck than this biker hippy dude.

F

Floater

nutso said:
Floater: I believe most of the canals are designated Historic sites. At least along Rt 4 I know they are, I have seen the signs. All of Schuylerville and Victory Mills are Off limits. Unless property owners give you permission. Alot of Battles fought there. I've had no luck getting permission so far. But you've got such a handsome mug, maybe you'd have better luck than this biker hippy dude.
If I get up there it will be in Early sept. Or late august. I will let you know. I have a lot of spots already picked out and there is tons of canal not designated. The original Erie canal and then the other waterways that were abandoned and still are. I will let you know some spots. soon though. I have a little more research to do. I believe Fishkill is south of Albany isn't it or is it above the lake? Don't worry Nutso, old hippie Biker dudes are always welcome where I hunt. ( so long as your takin your meds) LOL HH

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, Submerged, those are great. Today, I was just thinking of walking up the river in my town. Are you wading in the water at all or just up along the riverbank? Thanks for posting. Great finds!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread