Rare medal and maybe rare badge found in Oregon

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Okay, I am posting these items found by my buddy (Bill) cuz he has no computer. These were found in the last week at a ghost lumber town that died in 1945ish. First one is a badge. Probably copper with silver plate. Mail carrier, Frisco Lines. Kind of a mystery. Looks real. Haven't founds much info on this yet. Anything you can come up with would be appreciated.
Second is a meddalion from 1927. Front says: The presidents guard, 4th Cav, 1927. The back says: Summer Whitehouse, Black Hills, South Dakota. PFC Joe H. He????rki (engraved or punched), Presidents guard, June-September 1927. Has about 95 percent of original bronze plating. What we found out: The president in 1927 used a hunting lodge in the black hills as a summer retreat (think Camp David), In 1927, the 1st battalion, 4th cav was responsible for this duty. Only 50 troops, 3 officers and a small medical squad was involved. Also, this was the first time that the pres was guarded by the Army. Previously the duty belonged to the Marines. Concievably, this would be one of only about 60 medals issued in that time period. Let me know if you can come up with anything else Thanks guys.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 940
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 946
  • l4.jpg
    l4.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 936
Upvote 0

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool finds , hope they are rare ,

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Shiny boots were re-shined, polished buttons re-polished, cleaned rifles re-cleaned last week at Fort Meade, Army post. For there was stationed the First Squadron of the Fourth Cavalry, and from that squadron, announced Major General Harry A. Smith, Commander of the Seventh Corps Army Area, Omaha, was to be chosen the presidential guard which will look after the safety of the President during his summer stay in the Black Hills.

In the guard were to be 50 men, three officers, a surgeon and a medical detachment. Guardsmen were to be selected by Lieut. Col. R. W. Walker and, said General Smith, "every man will be as perfect a soldier as there is in the United States Army." This will be the first Army presidential guard, Marines having previously served as presidential protectors. The guard was to camp about a half-mile from the State Lodge.

source: Time Magazine Monday, Jun. 20, 1927 http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,881636-1,00.html

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is some really cool stuff you found!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice hunt

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ that's some awesome relics! I got to see the 1927 Medallion in person last week at our metal detecting club meeting (cdclc.org). That's some historic treasures there! WOOHOOOO!!!! NICE!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread