1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Nov 2006
    Central,Ny
    XP Deus
    110 times
    Rev.War Artifacts & Colonial Relics

1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin

Greetings T-Netters .....

Started my day off at the Mohawk indian site attacked by the Dutch in the 1660's We've hit the site hard and grided it several times but relics still present themselves.

Plenty of cut brass points and lead pieces , no carved animals this time out but I'm sure there will be more.

BUT a surprise find !!! What sounded off as just another piece of brass turned out to be what is left of a ,my oppinion,silver trade ring !!
    Bent and missing the left tab but very ornate and made of thin sheet silver ! No hallmark of any kind but the backside of the design
    looks rough...like it has a tab soldered to keep it together.
    Next hunt I plan to grid the area HARD !

Afterwards I spent the last hour of daylite at a 18th century tavern type home...The owner gave me the A-OK the previous day but was skeptical and just laughed when I told him of colonial coins and relics.
    Twenty minutes into checking the front yard I get a solid 85 VDI and a 1817 Lg Cent comes outta the ground !!

I showed the owner and he was flabbergasted...Just could'nt believe the coin was in his yard ( I loved proving him wrong )
    I promised the coin to him next week when I return & I will be giving this yard the hard search it'll need because there is quite a bit of junk.

Back to work now and another 6 days till I can hunt again

Good luck to everyone and thanks for looking

Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	687 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	199853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	691 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	199854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	678 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	199855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	675 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	199856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.JPG 
Views:	680 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	199857  

us
    Dec 2004
    Long Island New York
    White's XLT
    26 times

Re: 1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin

Fantastic finds Derek!! your on a great site. I look forward to seeing your future finds.

kenb

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440, Equinox 600
    2409 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: 1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin

Those are some sweet diggs Derek.

HH Jer

Derek, that is one special site, and the silver piece sure looks period. (French?)

Don
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

That LC should clean up real nice. A nice gesture to give it to the homeowner. I'd have a hard time giving it up, but that little gesture may yield something alot better. GODD LUCK on the site. It sounds like it could give up some real goodies!
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

us
    Nov 2006
    Central,Ny
    XP Deus
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Derek, that is one special site, and the silver piece sure looks period. (French?)

Don
    Thanks Don ...

I am nowhere near educated on trade silver. I only know a little about trade silver pieces made in Canada.

This site is the oldest site I've ever searched and I'm not the first..It was discovered ( but known about long before ) in the 1920's and many people have searched the site.
    Good for us , past searchers didnt have our technology and left behind some nice metal relics

I've looked at trade silver online but find very little....I'll have to look into it more when I have more time.
    I'd guess this piece would have belonged to someone higher up in the Mohawk chain of command

HH !

D.

Charter Member
    Bryce-IL

Aug 2007
    Wherever Silver's Hidin'
    Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
    1069 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

W@W Derek I'm sure you'll pop out some more goodies from this place.
    My field test of the Sunray X-5 coil is published in the May 2010 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My field test of the Sunray X-12 Coil is published in the June 2010 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My field test of the Coiltek 5x7 Coil is published in the July 2012 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My "Deep Coin" Explorer settings, and finds are published in Andy Sabisch's Minelab Explorer & E-Trac Handbook.

Here's the story of my BEST FIND EVERhttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/be...find-ever.html

us
    Nov 2006
    Central,Ny
    XP Deus
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by kenb
    Fantastic finds Derek!! your on a great site. I look forward to seeing your future finds.

kenb
    Thank You Kenb

Its a special site to get to search , knowing the atrocities that took place there and the senseless killing, so anything found holds special meaning to me !

I look forward to future finds too

Good hunting
    D.

us
    Nov 2006
    Central,Ny
    XP Deus
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by JerDfx
    Those are some sweet diggs Derek.

HH Jer
    Thanks Jer ...

Being here in the Northeast where so much early American history is and research and the generousity of good land owners helps ALOT !

LOVE digging history !!!

D.

us
    Nov 2006
    Central,Ny
    XP Deus
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    That LC should clean up real nice. A nice gesture to give it to the homeowner. I'd have a hard time giving it up, but that little gesture may yield something alot better. GODD LUCK on the site. It sounds like it could give up some real goodies!
    Thanks for the reply Hogge ...

I've been lucky in the Lg Cent catagory...found sooooo many !
    It would be just another added to my collection and forgotten...I know the owner will love to have it !

Keep swinging

D.

us
    Nov 2006
    Central,Ny
    XP Deus
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by silverfreak
    W@W Derek I'm sure you'll pop out some more goodies from this place.
    Thanks for the good words Silver

If your ever in upstate Ny your in man !!

Good huntin my friend 8)

Derek

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    195 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

awesome finds...
    ALLEN

us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    582 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Excellent

HH

us
    Dec 2007
    Chicago and Florida Keys
    Matrix M-6, Bounty Hunter, Fisher CZ-21 and Pistol Probe Pinpointer.
    7 times

Real nice finds awesome large cent!!

us
    Digging up the Past

Oct 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Fisher CZ5
    9 times

Talking about some history, that's awesome! I commend you on your finds, and did I mention, nice large cent.
    Dayton Diggers, Historical Research & Recovery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links